One-page VA Smalltalk manual?

hernanmd
Hi, first mail to the VA mailing list :)

I installed 9.1 a few days ago and have a couple of questions:

- Is there a one-page manual url? I already read the README but it's mostly a list of changes for versions. I would like to read about Packages, Applications, Sub-applications, etc. it is available in a HTML page?

- One thing that surprised me is lack of syntax coloring, at first run. I guess I should load something I am not aware, any tips?

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: One-page VA Smalltalk manual?

Wayne Johnston
for documentation go to https://www.instantiations.com/support/documentation.html
and click the "All VA Smalltalk documents"

Re: One-page VA Smalltalk manual?

hernanmd
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick response.
I've already seen the documentation you pointed, however my issue is about usability because in cellphone is unreadable (see attach). I'd like to see it in a Kindle Reader and want to avoid crawling the website.
Any other pointer or suggestions maybe?

Cheers

Hernan

El jue., 16 may. 2019 6:15 p. m., Wayne Johnston <[hidden email]> escribió:
and click the "All VA Smalltalk documents"

Screenshot_20190516-182842.jpg (436K) Download Attachment

Re: One-page VA Smalltalk manual?

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hola Hernan :)
Nice to see you here.
Which OS are you using?

Thanks

On Thu, May 16, 2019, 18:33 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick response.
I've already seen the documentation you pointed, however my issue is about usability because in cellphone is unreadable (see attach). I'd like to see it in a Kindle Reader and want to avoid crawling the website.
Any other pointer or suggestions maybe?

Cheers

Hernan

El jue., 16 may. 2019 6:15 p. m., Wayne Johnston <[hidden email]> escribió:
and click the "All VA Smalltalk documents"

Re: One-page VA Smalltalk manual?

hernanmd
Hola Mariano,

I am running both in latest Debian (which ran fine) and now trying to run in Manjaro

# uname -a
Linux mvs 4.14.113-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Apr 21 12:03:01 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    n/a
Distributor ID: ManjaroLinux
Release:        18.0.4
Codename:       Illyria

Please let me know if you want me to check something else.
Cheers,

Hernan

El vie., 17 may. 2019 a las 17:07, 'Mariano Martinez Peck' via VA Smalltalk (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hola Hernan :)
Nice to see you here.
Which OS are you using?

Thanks

On Thu, May 16, 2019, 18:33 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick response.
I've already seen the documentation you pointed, however my issue is about usability because in cellphone is unreadable (see attach). I'd like to see it in a Kindle Reader and want to avoid crawling the website.
Any other pointer or suggestions maybe?

Cheers

Hernan

El jue., 16 may. 2019 6:15 p. m., Wayne Johnston <[hidden email]> escribió:
and click the "All VA Smalltalk documents"

Re: One-page VA Smalltalk manual?

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
The closest I have seen for a one page documentation is this: https://www.instantiations.com/PDFs/datasheet_vast.pdf

You may want to check the goodies too: http://vastgoodies.com/

As for color highlighting, no, there is none in the Linux version. On Windows, there obviously is, and it's a very nice and advanced editor.
On VA Smalltalk the UI is native, so on Windows the editor uses Scintilla while on Linux it uses plain Motif... As far as I understand, Instantiations gauged interesest in the past about binding to GTK but it was not worth the effort.

Cheers,

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 5:35 PM Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick response.
I've already seen the documentation you pointed, however my issue is about usability because in cellphone is unreadable (see attach). I'd like to see it in a Kindle Reader and want to avoid crawling the website.
Any other pointer or suggestions maybe?

Not much that I can help with the documentation and watching in your Kindle, but at least here are a bunch of getting started videos which should look nice: