Opal compilation [WAS] Re: [Seaside] Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Opal compilation [WAS] Re: [Seaside] Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok...I can reproduce it. The difference between Pharo 3.0 and 2.0 is likely that in 3.0 we have the new Opal compiler. If I debug your problem, it seems Opal is not able to even parse the method. It fails with a SyntaxErrorNotification. Example:

Variable or expression expected -> renderContentOn: html
self wasShown
ifTrue: [ ^ self ].
self messageString
ifNotNil: [
self messageType = 'error'
ifTrue: [
html tbsAlert
beDanger;
with: [ html text: self messageString ] ].
self messageType = 'info'
ifTrue: [
html tbsAlert
beInfo;
with: [ html text: self messageString ] ].
self messageType = 'success'
ifTrue: [
html tbsAlert
beSuccess;
with: [ html text: self messageString ] ].
].
self wasShown: true

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Sanjay-M <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not get an error in the Seaside one-click experience 3.1 from seaside.st
pharo page which uses pharo 2.0

With a fresh 3.0 image and loading seaside 3.1 using the Gofer method - the
issue persists (i.e. I cannot save code from Seaside class browser and get
an error:
      MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
      Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.)

and this is further broken in pharo 4.0 where the class browser does not
come up completely

can I get some help as I do not wish to revert to an older pharo version

regards
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>
>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>> same
>> directory
>>
>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>
>> thanks
>> Sanjay
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>>
>>> Can you do something like
>>>
>>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>>> sourceCode'
>>> 'capitalized
>>>     "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"
>>>     | cap |
>>>     self isEmpty ifTrue: [ ^self copy ].
>>>     cap := self copy.
>>>     cap at: 1 put: (cap at: 1) asUppercase.
>>>     ^ cap'
>>>
>>> ?

>>> sm@

>> -----
>> ---
>> Regards, Sanjay
>> --

-----
---
Regards, Sanjay

Re: Opal compilation [WAS] Re: [Seaside] Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Thierry Goubier
Hi Mariano,

I would suspect Opal parsing this as not a method, but as an expression.

Can you check what method of the compiler Seaside uses to compile code?

Thierry

> [...]

regards
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>
>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>> same
>> directory
>>
>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>
>> thanks
>> Sanjay
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>>
>>> Can you do something like
>>>
>>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>>> sourceCode'
>>> 'capitalized
>>>     "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"

-----
---

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

I would suspect Opal parsing this as not a method, but as an expression.

Can you check what method of the compiler Seaside uses to compile code?

nautilus selectedClass subclassDefinerClass
evaluate: input
notifying: aController
logged: true ]

This is called from the method #contents: input notifying: aController  of WANautilusBrowser.

Thierry

> [...]

regards
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>
>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>> same
>> directory
>>
>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>
>> thanks
>> Sanjay
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>>
>>> Can you do something like
>>>
>>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>>> sourceCode'
>>> 'capitalized
>>>     "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"

-----
---
Regards, Sanjay

Re: Opal compilation [WAS] Re: [Seaside] Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is the code:

contents: input notifying: aController
^ nautilus showComment
ifTrue: [
nautilus selectedClass organization comment: input.
true ]
ifFalse: [
selectedMessageCategory isNil
ifTrue: [
"compile a class"
nautilus selectedClass subclassDefinerClass
evaluate: input
notifying: aController
logged: true ]
ifFalse: [
"compile a method"
(self selectedClass
compile: input
classified: selectedMessageCategory
notifying: aController) isSymbol ] ]

selectedMessageCategory is nil.....that's why it goes to the "class" side of the IF... mmmm

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

regards
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>
>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>> same
>> directory
>>
>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>
>> thanks
>> Sanjay
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>>
>>> Can you do something like
>>>
>>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>>> sourceCode'
>>> 'capitalized
>>>     "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"

-----
---
Regards, Sanjay

Re: Opal compilation [WAS] Re: [Seaside] Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Thierry Goubier

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

I would suspect Opal parsing this as not a method, but as an expression.

Can you check what method of the compiler Seaside uses to compile code?

nautilus selectedClass subclassDefinerClass
evaluate: input
notifying: aController
logged: true ]

Isn't that a method used to evaluate the

myClass subclass: #mySubclass ...

code? In that case, this is an expression and it can't be used to compile a method.

It should be something like:

nautilus selectedClass
    compile: input
    classified: something
    notifying: aController.

Thierry

> [...]

regards
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>
>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>> same
>> directory
>>
>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>
>> thanks
>> Sanjay
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>>
>>> Can you do something like
>>>
>>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>>> sourceCode'
>>> 'capitalized
>>>     "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"

-----
---
[...]

Ok. selectedMessageCategory as nil should make the method 'as yet unclassified' instead of trying to compile a class...

GUI logic seems wrong there.

Do you have the logic which says whether the core text for the pane is a class definition or a method definition? i.e. the one which says:

messageSelectorAndArgumentNames
    "comment stating purpose of message"

    | temporary variable names |
    statements