Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

Wayne Johnston
I just noticed that in 9.2.1, Open Class Editions or Unreleased Classes has added the ">>" seen below on the second line.  I assume I'm not the only one seeing this, and there is a reason this was changed.  Not that I really care...

In EsCodeGeneration<< V 8.6.3  [378] >>:
>> EsCompiler(4/8/2020 2:05:24 PM)

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Greetings Wayne,

Thanks for reporting!

Yes, that was added by me (kindly provided by a customer) in combination with another feature: as you may have noticed, all those menu items are all sorted now (that was the biggest enhancement).
I just forgot the small detail of the ">>"

BTW, the development case was "65469: Sort reports of "Tools" -> "Query"" which you can also find in the README:

Hope this helps,

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 3:14 PM Wayne Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just noticed that in 9.2.1, Open Class Editions or Unreleased Classes has added the ">>" seen below on the second line.  I assume I'm not the only one seeing this, and there is a reason this was changed.  Not that I really care...

In EsCodeGeneration<< V 8.6.3  [378] >>:
>> EsCompiler(4/8/2020 2:05:24 PM)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

Wayne Johnston
Is there some advantage to the ">>"?  Personally I think that makes things a little harder to parse by the eye.

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

jtuchel
Mariano,

to be honest, I would prefer if this menu item opened a filtered Applications Manager. I use this search option very frequently (multiple times a day), but I'd say in 99 per cent of the cases I need it to version the found classes and/or (Sub)Applications. The Transcript ouput is not very helpful in getting to all the places I need to go to.

The Transcript output may be helpful in bigger project teams where some "code manager" needs to inform all the team members they have to llok at stuff and send a list around. But not so much if you just want to solve the problems at hand.

AFAIK, the filter options in the Applications Manager fail to show exactly the same info. The Applications->View->Needing Versioning comes closest, right?

Joachim

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

jtuchel
Speaking of Applications Manager and Filtering...

It would be great if Browser had some kind of refresh function, like the inspectors have to update variables. A tool icon like a Web Browser's Reload-Button would be a great addition to make work smoother. The current Applications->View submenu is not very practical. If you want to update the filtered info, you have to select another filter option and re-select the wanted one to get the latest filtering results...

So if you have a list of usability improvements for upcoming versions, maybe you could consider thinking about these ideas.

Joachim

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

jtuchel
HI again,

now that I was thinking about this and looking around, I found something that comes pretty close to what I was asking for in this last post.

In an Applications Manager you can select Applications>View>Sort Needing Versioning first, which moves applications to the top of the list which contain unreleased class editions: scratch editions and open Application Editions. Not sure about App versions which contain scratch Subapplications, but I will find out...

So this is a very nice option and it has quickly become a favourite of mine...

Joachim

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 5:03 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI again,

now that I was thinking about this and looking around, I found something that comes pretty close to what I was asking for in this last post.

In an Applications Manager you can select Applications>View>Sort Needing Versioning first, which moves applications to the top of the list which contain unreleased class editions: scratch editions and open Application Editions. Not sure about App versions which contain scratch Subapplications, but I will find out...

So this is a very nice option and it has quickly become a favourite of mine...

hahahahah that was a suggestion of mine :) I also liked it so much that is part of my Dev image build:

"Setting for sorting apps needing versioning first on app manager"
StsApplicationManager sort: #applicationsNeedingVersioningFirst.

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

Richard Sargent
Administrator
[Feature Request]
When I select the View choice to show me the applications needing versioning, I would love to see subapplications expanded so that any subapplications needing versioning are shown. [If you look at GBS, you can see there the subapplication nesting is quite deep.]

If an application has two subapplications and only one of those subapplications has a subapplication of its own needing versioning, only the one tree would be expanded. I'll provide screen prints if that is too confusing without them.

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 8:14:57 AM UTC-7, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 5:03 AM Joachim Tuchel <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="T-8dvQcMBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jtu...@...> wrote:
[...]

Email: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="T-8dvQcMBQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">mp...@instantiations.com
Twitter: <a href="https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMartinezPeck\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPV-7Bnc-U6phGEh-VZU0iUtY7vw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMartinezPeck\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPV-7Bnc-U6phGEh-VZU0iUtY7vw&#39;;return true;">https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck
LinkedIn: <a href="https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariano-mart%C3%ADnez-peck/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fmariano-mart%25C3%25ADnez-peck%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGyJTUAWXPstaw4J3OpFUYRyFAqmw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fmariano-mart%25C3%25ADnez-peck%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGyJTUAWXPstaw4J3OpFUYRyFAqmw&#39;;return true;">www.linkedin.com/in/mariano-martinez-peck
Blog: <a href="https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmarianopeck.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHAOaIsyMIYgmQWdQZRuKRdD6gBfw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmarianopeck.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHAOaIsyMIYgmQWdQZRuKRdD6gBfw&#39;;return true;">https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/

Re: Open Class Editions, Unreleased Classes output change

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Screen prints added, below.

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:28:49 AM UTC-7, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

Twitter: <a href="https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMartinezPeck\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPV-7Bnc-U6phGEh-VZU0iUtY7vw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FMartinezPeck\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPV-7Bnc-U6phGEh-VZU0iUtY7vw&#39;;return true;">https://twitter.com/MartinezPeck
LinkedIn: <a href="https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariano-mart%C3%ADnez-peck/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fmariano-mart%25C3%25ADnez-peck%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGyJTUAWXPstaw4J3OpFUYRyFAqmw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fmariano-mart%25C3%25ADnez-peck%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGyJTUAWXPstaw4J3OpFUYRyFAqmw&#39;;return true;">www.linkedin.com/in/mariano-martinez-peck
Blog: <a href="https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmarianopeck.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHAOaIsyMIYgmQWdQZRuKRdD6gBfw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmarianopeck.wordpress.com%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHAOaIsyMIYgmQWdQZRuKRdD6gBfw&#39;;return true;">https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/

This is how the Application Manager shows after selecting the View/Needing Versioning menu choice.

ViewNeedingVersioningDefault.png

As you can see, it doesn't look like there is anything needing versioning, other than the fact that these two applications are shown.

After I click though all the subapplications and keeping the modified one expanded/visible, I get what I would prefer to see as the actual response to that menu selection.

ViewNeedingVersioningDesired.png