Open Cobalt on Squeak 4.1 is available

Tapple Gao
Hi. Open Cobalt now runs mostly as it should on Squeak 4.1. It
is not a finished port, but it is definitely enough to start
playing with, testing out OpenGL, packaging it up for
installation into current images, or whatever.

Up to date instructions are kept at
http://cobalt.cs.duke.edu/pub/INSTALLING.txt

Reply with any questions. Current copy of installation
instructions reproduced below.

Welcome to the beta version of Cobalt ported to Squeak 4.1

To run me, you will need:
- the latest cobalt-trunk.*.zip file from
  http://cobalt.cs.duke.edu/pub/
- the latest opencobalt-1.0alpha*.zip from
  http://www.cs.duke.edu/~jdougan/downloads/1.0alpha1/
- A recent VM from http://squeakvm.org
- http://ftp.squeak.org/sources_files/SqueakV39.sources.gz

1. Unzip the opencobalt-1.0alpha*.zip folder somewhere
2. Unzip the cobalt-trunk.*.zip file inside the
   opencobalt-1.0alpha* folder. It
   contains 3 files:
   cobalt-trunk.*.image
   cobalt-trunk.*.changes
   config/cobalt-browser.conf
3. unzip SqueakV39.sources.gz and put SqueakV39.sources into the
   opencobalt-1.0alpha* folder
4. run cobalt-trunk.*.image using your VM
5. Do this: CProjectMorph open: CobaltModularPanel
6. Click the menu item Cobalt > Start Cobalt

== About this image ==

This image is a trunk image from November 2009, updated to the
latest code in the trunk repository, except where that conflicts
with Cobalt.  Feel free to make a better image based on the
current, 4.1 images.

Known issues are listed at
http://cobalt.cs.duke.edu/pub/cobalt41todo.txt

Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

Re: Open Cobalt on Squeak 4.1 is available

Nikolay Suslov
Matthew,

That's fantastic!

Nikolay

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bert Freudenberg
On 08.06.2010, at 13:35, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> Hi. Open Cobalt now runs mostly as it should on Squeak 4.1.

Yay!

- Bert -

Re: Open Cobalt on Squeak 4.1 is available

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Awesome!  Thanks :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Open Cobalt on Squeak 4.1 is available

CdAB63
Sorry for last message: just copied wrong open*gz file...

Now running all right.

Amazing !!!

THNX !!!

CdAB

Re: Open Cobalt on Squeak 4.1 is available

espin
Hi Matthew,
is there any consensus/conclusion on sticking to Squeak 4.1 or coming 4.2
as the official base for Cobalt?

If so, what's the status? (I have seen krestianstvo SDK but got
blocked in front of too much russian text/code...)

Thanks a lot for your feedback
Bye
Enrico

--
Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 02:15:56PM +0100, Enrico Spinielli wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> is there any consensus/conclusion on sticking to Squeak 4.1 or coming 4.2
> as the official base for Cobalt?

Currently, the official base for Cobalt is the unsupported
3.8-derived Croquet Homebase image, although we plan to change
this by mid-january.

I just resumed the port to squeak trunk this past week. It is
tracking the trunk right now, and I don't see any need to use a
stable squeak as base until cobalt itself is stable (which will
be at least another year)

> If so, what's the status? (I have seen krestianstvo SDK but got
> blocked in front of too much russian text/code...)

I just resumed the port. I just released open cobalt 1.0 alpha 4
with squeak trunk as a base today. It is as close to the
official open cobalt 1.0 alpha 4 as possible, sans bugs. I am
working to make squeak trunk ready to be the official base of
OpenCobalt by January:

http://cobalt.cs.duke.edu/pub/1.0-alpha-trunk/opencobalt-1.0alpha4-trunk.zip

For reference, the official current version of cobalt is:

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~jdougan/downloads/1.0alpha/opencobalt-1.0alpha4.zip

Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

Re: Open Cobalt on Squeak 4.1 is available

espin
Hi Matthew,
thanks for your feedback and work.

I look forward to having a (more stable ;-) Cobalt version and based
on Squeak Trunk.
(Maybe this will allow and make it easier for Teleplace to contribute
croquet-relevant
code/fixes to Cobalt)

Bye
Enrico