Open Helios in a new tab

philippeback
I have been experimenting with having a better layout for working.

I do not like having the IDE at the bottom of the screen (got eye problems and working looking down isn't doing it).

So, I tried the popupAmber but I don't like it either since it is a popup floating around.

That made me try getting Helios open in a new tab.

I added this to my index.html

 <a id="linkhelios" href="/vendor/amber/helios.html" target="_blank">Open Helios in New Tab</a>

That works fine and allows me to have a full page to edit on the left and the IDE on the right, or any other way I want.

Maybe could one update the amber.js to allow this with amber.openInTab().

Inline image 1

Re: Open Helios in a new tab

Geert Claes
Administrator
Hmm, how about always using browser tabs instead of tabs within (browser, workspace, transcript, sUnit) the Amber IDE?

Re: Open Helios in a new tab

philippeback
I wouldn't go that route or we'll have a ton of open tabs.

One can already open a ton of tabs with a ton of Amber Helioses if one wants to.

Phil

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmm, how about always using browser tabs instead of tabs within (browser,
workspace, transcript, sUnit) the Amber IDE?

Re: Open Helios in a new tab

Geert Claes
Administrator
I'l use the <troll inside> tag following Nico's example :)

<troll inside>
I reckon its time the 30-odd year "standard smalltalk" browser needs to be more intuitive, re-designed
</troll inside>

Re: Open Helios in a new tab

philippeback
<troll_inside mode="feeding">
Attach/detach tabs, and one view of all methods at once with source code.
And one tab with the JavaScript developer tools and a panel showing the compiled JavaScript (aka "The ByteCode view")
</troll_inside>

Jokes aside, I've been surprised by the behavior of my Amber application when the JavaScript console was open as the debugger messages (the red things) do trigger JavaScript exceptions as well and then lead to the JavaScript debugger showing things.

Is there a way to trigger that behavior on/off? Is the amber.debug variable usable for such a thing?

The javascript debugger shows things like function($ctx24) which aren't terribly useful...

Phil

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'l use the <troll inside> tag following Nico's example :)

<troll inside>
I reckon its time the 30-odd year "standard smalltalk" browser needs to be
more intuitive, re-designed
</troll inside>

Re: Open Helios in a new tab

Nicolas Petton
Yep, agreed. Now I want first to finish Helios, especially the debugger that can now become very good, and then improve :)

Nico

On May 22, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'l use the <troll inside> tag following Nico's example :)
>
> <troll inside>
> I reckon its time the 30-odd year "standard smalltalk" browser needs to be
> more intuitive, re-designed
> </troll inside>

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr