Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

12

Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Hi people,
I'm using Pharo RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 version and it's very slow when I trying to debugging a seaside application. In other words, I press the debug link on the seaside application walback and it take to Pharo over 40 seconds to open de imagen debugger. I tried with Seaside 3 developer image and it was the same situation.

I'm using pharo on 32 bits Windows 7 in a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB ram memory.

Has anybody experimented the same problem or behavior?

Tranks,
Facundo

ps: Please, excuse my poor english.

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

Lukas Renggli
This seems to be a known problem:

   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.seaside/20959

Lukas

www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Yes, it's seems to be that issue but its solution didn't repair my problem. I
think that the problem is relationated with a network configuration issue so i will
continue trying in that way.

Thank you Lukas.

Facundo

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
This seems to be a known problem:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.seaside/20959

Lukas

2010/4/11 Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]>:
> Hi people,
> I'm using Pharo RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 version and it's very slow when
> I trying to debugging a seaside application. In other words, I press the
> debug link on the seaside application walback and it take to Pharo over 40
> seconds to open de imagen debugger. I tried with Seaside 3 developer image
> and it was the same situation.
> I'm using pharo on 32 bits Windows 7 in a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB ram memory.
> Has anybody experimented the same problem or behavior?
> Tranks,
> Facundo
> ps: Please, excuse my poor english.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

Lukas Renggli
I don't have windows, so I cannot help. It would be cool if some
Windows/Firefox user could figure out a permanent solution for our
side, as this problem keeps on reappearing.

Luas

2010/4/11 Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, it's seems to be that issue but its solution didn't repair my problem.
> think that the problem is relationated with a network configuration issue so
> i will
> continue trying in that way.
> Thank you Lukas.
> Facundo
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This seems to be a known problem:
>>

>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.seaside/20959
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> 2010/4/11 Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi people,
>> > I'm using Pharo RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 version and it's very slow when
>> > I trying to debugging a seaside application. In other words, I press the
>> > debug link on the seaside application walback and it take to Pharo over
>> > 40
>> > seconds to open de imagen debugger. I tried with Seaside 3 developer
>> > image
>> > and it was the same situation.
>> > I'm using pharo on 32 bits Windows 7 in a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB ram
>> > memory.
>> > Has anybody experimented the same problem or behavior?
>> > Tranks,
>> > Facundo
>> > ps: Please, excuse my poor english.

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Lukas,
It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.

But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
to open de smalltalk debugger.
Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?

Thanks for your attention.

Facundo

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't have windows, so I cannot help. It would be cool if some
Windows/Firefox user could figure out a permanent solution for our
side, as this problem keeps on reappearing.

Luas

2010/4/11 Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]>:
> Yes, it's seems to be that issue but its solution didn't repair my problem.
> think that the problem is relationated with a network configuration issue so
> i will
> continue trying in that way.
> Thank you Lukas.
> Facundo
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This seems to be a known problem:
>>

>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.seaside/20959
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> 2010/4/11 Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi people,
>> > I'm using Pharo RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 version and it's very slow when
>> > I trying to debugging a seaside application. In other words, I press the
>> > debug link on the seaside application walback and it take to Pharo over
>> > 40
>> > seconds to open de imagen debugger. I tried with Seaside 3 developer
>> > image
>> > and it was the same situation.
>> > I'm using pharo on 32 bits Windows 7 in a Core 2 Duo and 2 GB ram
>> > memory.
>> > Has anybody experimented the same problem or behavior?
>> > Tranks,
>> > Facundo
>> > ps: Please, excuse my poor english.

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

Marcus Denker-4

On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Lukas,
> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
>
> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
> to open de smalltalk debugger.
> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?

Did you check with Pharo 1.1?

        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip

In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1

        Marcus

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>
>> Lukas,
>> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
>>
>> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
>> to open de smalltalk debugger.
>> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
>>

> Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
>
> In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1

My theory for your bug is that it's this:

We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
"very soon".

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes we have to kick our asses more often... but squeak is that for that :)

Stef

On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>>
>>> Lukas,
>>> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
>>>
>>> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
>>> to open de smalltalk debugger.
>>> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
>>>

>> Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
>>
>> In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
>>

> My theory for your bug is that it's this:

> We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> "very soon".
>
> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:54 59PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>>
>>> Lukas,
>>> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
>>>
>>> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
>>> to open de smalltalk debugger.
>>> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
>>>

>> Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
>>
>> In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
>>

> My theory for your bug is that it's this:

> We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> "very soon".
>
> Marcus

It can still be slow in 1.1, depending on where the log is written to.
F.ex. I opened an image on Windows under Parallells, which decided it wanted to write to somewhere in the mounted OSX home directory,
took a few good seconds for the debugger to open.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Marcus,
I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.

It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.

Thank you,

Facu

(*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Marcus,
> I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
>
> It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Facu
>
> (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation

which log?

Stef

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> >> Lukas,
> >> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
> >>
> >> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
> >> to open de smalltalk debugger.
> >> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
> >>

> > Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
> >
> >       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
> >
> > In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
> >

> My theory for your bug is that it's this:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
>
> We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> "very soon".
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

Mariano Martinez Peck
Another difference maybe  the tools that are loaded in Squeak and Pharo. I am not aware what is loaded in Squeak images, but in PharoDev you have OB, OCompletion, RefactoringBrowser, TrueType fonts, Shout, etc.

Some of these tools make Pharo a bit more slower than the PharoCore. If they Squeak image you are using doesn't have all those tools, then you should compare to a PharoCore image, not Dev. Pharo core images doesn't have all the dev tools.

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Marcus,
> I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
>
> It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Facu
>
> (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation

which log?

Stef

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> >> Lukas,
> >> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
> >>
> >> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
> >> to open de smalltalk debugger.
> >> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
> >>

> > Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
> >
> >       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
> >
> > In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
> >

> My theory for your bug is that it's this:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
>
> We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> "very soon".
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Marcus,
it's took to me over 20 minutes complete the Seaside 2.8 instalation and
the problem persist. It takes 15 seconds to open the smalltalk debugger
from the seaside wallback page.

Facu

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Lukas,
> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
>
> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
> to open de smalltalk debugger.
> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?

Did you check with Pharo 1.1?

       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip

In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1

       Marcus

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Stef,
It took to me over 20 minutes to complete the Seaside 2.8 installation and when I interrupted it the debugger opened when the system was writting the pharoXXX.changes always but I couldn't check what is happening.

I will check it again.

Facu

ps: I refered to pharoXXX.changes as "log" because of Visual Smalltalk where the "changes" are called changes.log, excuse me.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Marcus,
> I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
>
> It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Facu
>
> (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation

which log?

Stef

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> >> Lukas,
> >> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
> >>
> >> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
> >> to open de smalltalk debugger.
> >> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
> >>

> > Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
> >
> >       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
> >
> > In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
> >

> My theory for your bug is that it's this:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
>
> We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> "very soon".
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Mariano,
I don't what is loaded in Squeak because I only open it to check this particular problem but Squeak 4.1 RC4 looks like Pharo.
I used it because it was easy to me load seaside and discard a network connection problem on the operative system level.

Cheers,
Facu

2010/4/12 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
Another difference maybe  the tools that are loaded in Squeak and Pharo. I am not aware what is loaded in Squeak images, but in PharoDev you have OB, OCompletion, RefactoringBrowser, TrueType fonts, Shout, etc.

Some of these tools make Pharo a bit more slower than the PharoCore. If they Squeak image you are using doesn't have all those tools, then you should compare to a PharoCore image, not Dev. Pharo core images doesn't have all the dev tools.

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Marcus,
> I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
>
> It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Facu
>
> (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation

which log?

Stef

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> >> Lukas,
> >> It happens on my machine with Windows/(Firefox-Chrome-IE 8) and Pharo.
> >>
> >> But I test it on the same machine with Squeak 4.1 RC4 and it go very very fast
> >> to open de smalltalk debugger.
> >> Furthermore, Squeak 4.1 RC4 seem to be faster than Pharo, did you note that too or it's only my sensations?
> >>

> > Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
> >
> >       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
> >
> > In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
> >

> My theory for your bug is that it's this:
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
>
> We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> "very soon".
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

This is really strange. Can you describe your setup? Do you have an antivirus? And with Squeak you do not have that behavior?
We are loading larger code than seaside in Pharo and we do not have this problem.
So I would really like to understand. Could you post your image somewhere?

Stef

On Apr 12, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Stef,
> It took to me over 20 minutes to complete the Seaside 2.8 installation and when I interrupted it the debugger opened when the system was writting the pharoXXX.changes always but I couldn't check what is happening.
>
> I will check it again.
>
> Facu
>
> ps: I refered to pharoXXX.changes as "log" because of Visual Smalltalk where the "changes" are called changes.log, excuse me.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>
> > Marcus,
> > I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
> >
> > It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Facu
> >
> > (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation
>
> which log?
>
> Stef
>

> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
> > >
> > >       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
> > >
> > > In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
> > >

> > My theory for your bug is that it's this:
> >
> >        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
> >
> > We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> > "very soon".
> >
> >        Marcus
> >

> > --
> > Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> > INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

> > --
> > Facundo Vozzi
> > InfOil S.A.
> > Project Leader
> > (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108
> > [hidden email]

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
Stef,
I'm using Pharo 1.0 RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 and all is fine but it took over 15 seconds open a smalltalk debugger from a Seaside wallback. It was the reason of my first mail.
I tried with Squeak 4.1 RC4, to discard a network configuration problem at operative system level, and i don't have the problem. It takes 1 second to open the debugger.
Then, Marcus ask to me if i had the same problem with "PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE", at that time I download it, installed Seaside and try again. To Install Seaside took to me over 20 minutes but I had been instaled it on Pharo 1.0 and was been fine.

Is it more clear now ?. Please, sorry for my poor English.

Facu

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is really strange. Can you describe your setup? Do you have an antivirus? And with Squeak you do not have that behavior?
We are loading larger code than seaside in Pharo and we do not have this problem.
So I would really like to understand. Could you post your image somewhere?

Stef

On Apr 12, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Stef,
> It took to me over 20 minutes to complete the Seaside 2.8 installation and when I interrupted it the debugger opened when the system was writting the pharoXXX.changes always but I couldn't check what is happening.
>
> I will check it again.
>
> Facu
>
> ps: I refered to pharoXXX.changes as "log" because of Visual Smalltalk where the "changes" are called changes.log, excuse me.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>
> > Marcus,
> > I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
> >
> > It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Facu
> >
> > (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation
>
> which log?
>
> Stef
>

> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Did you check with Pharo 1.1?
> > >
> > >       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26762/PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE.1.zip
> > >
> > > In general, Squeak 4.1 should not be compared to Pharo 1.0 speed-wise, but Pharo 1.1
> > >

> > My theory for your bug is that it's this:
> >
> >        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
> >
> > We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> > "very soon".
> >
> >        Marcus
> >

> > --
> > Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> > INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

> > --
> > Facundo Vozzi
> > InfOil S.A.
> > Project Leader
> > (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108
> > [hidden email]

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

On Apr 12, 2010, at 10:18 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> Stef,
> I'm using Pharo 1.0 RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 and all is fine but it took over 15 seconds open a smalltalk debugger from a Seaside wallback. It was the reason of my first mail.
> I tried with Squeak 4.1 RC4, to discard a network configuration problem at operative system level, and i don't have the problem. It takes 1 second to open the debugger.
> Then, Marcus ask to me if i had the same problem with "PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE", at that time I download it, installed Seaside and try again. To Install Seaside took to me over 20 minutes but I had been instaled it on Pharo 1.0 and was been fine.

ok so with 1.1 this is working?
There were a **lot** of changes in 1.1. We will release shortly after 1.0 and much much faster :)

> Is it more clear now ?. Please, sorry for my poor English.

Don;t worry. write simple sentences and we will understand you.

> Facu
>

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is really strange. Can you describe your setup? Do you have an antivirus? And with Squeak you do not have that behavior?
> We are loading larger code than seaside in Pharo and we do not have this problem.
> So I would really like to understand. Could you post your image somewhere?
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>
> > Stef,
> > It took to me over 20 minutes to complete the Seaside 2.8 installation and when I interrupted it the debugger opened when the system was writting the pharoXXX.changes always but I couldn't check what is happening.
> >
> > I will check it again.
> >
> > Facu
> >
> > ps: I refered to pharoXXX.changes as "log" because of Visual Smalltalk where the "changes" are called changes.log, excuse me.
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> > > Marcus,
> > > I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
> > >
> > > It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Facu
> > >
> > > (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation
> >
> > which log?
> >
> > Stef

> > > My theory for your bug is that it's this:
> > >
> > >        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
> > >
> > > We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released
> > > "very soon".
> > >
> > >        Marcus
> > >

> > > --
> > > Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> > > INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

> > > --
> > > Facundo Vozzi
> > > InfOil S.A.
> > > Project Leader
> > > (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108
> > > [hidden email]
> >

> > --
> > Facundo Vozzi
> > InfOil S.A.
> > Project Leader
> > (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108
> > [hidden email]

> Facundo Vozzi
> InfOil S.A.
> Project Leader
> (+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

Re: Open Pharo debugger from a Seaside wallback

fvozzi
It continues taking longer 15 seconds on 1.1 too, there isn't change. I will try to compare with Squeak looking for the possible problem and its solution.

nobody has the same problem?

Thank you,
Facu

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> > > Marcus,
> > > I can't install Seaside on Pharo 1.1(*) but then i'll try again at home.
> > >
> > > It isn't my point to compare Pharo to Squeak performance but I used Squeak to test this particular situation.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Facu
> > >
> > > (*) it's very slow to write the log taking minutes to complete the instalation
> >
> > which log?
> >
> > Stef

> > > My theory for your bug is that it's this:
> > >
> > >        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860
> > >
> > > We added it to 1.1 on Nov. 01, 2009. Not to 1.0, because 1.0 was supposed to be released

Facundo Vozzi
InfOil S.A.
Project Leader
(+54-11) 4542-9999 x108

On Apr 12, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:

> It continues taking longer 15 seconds on 1.1 too, there isn't change. I will try to compare with Squeak looking for the possible problem and its solution.
>
> nobody has the same problem?

No and this is strange because 1.1 got a lot of the stream changes that made squeak faster.

> Thank you,
> Facu
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 10:18 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
>
> > Stef,
> > I'm using Pharo 1.0 RC2 with Seaside 2.8.4 and all is fine but it took over 15 seconds open a smalltalk debugger from a Seaside wallback. It was the reason of my first mail.
> > I tried with Squeak 4.1 RC4, to discard a network configuration problem at operative system level, and i don't have the problem. It takes 1 second to open the debugger.
> > Then, Marcus ask to me if i had the same problem with "PharoCore-1.1-11301-UNSTABLE", at that time I download it, installed Seaside and try again. To Install Seaside took to me over 20 minutes but I had been instaled it on Pharo 1.0 and was been fine.
>
> ok so with 1.1 this is working?
> There were a **lot** of changes in 1.1. We will release shortly after 1.0 and much much faster :)
>
> > Is it more clear now ?. Please, sorry for my poor English.
>
> Don;t worry. write simple sentences and we will understand you.
> >
> > Facu
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is really strange. Can you describe your setup? Do you have an antivirus? And with Squeak you do not have that behavior?
> > We are loading larger code than seaside in Pharo and we do not have this problem.
> > So I would really like to understand. Could you post your image somewhere?
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > On Apr 12, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Facundo Vozzi wrote:
> >
> > > Stef,
> > > It took to me over 20 minutes to complete the Seaside 2.8 installation and when I interrupted it the debugger opened when the system was writting the pharoXXX.changes always but I couldn't check what is happening.
> > >
> > > I will check it again.
> > >
> > > Facu
> > >
> > > ps: I refered to pharoXXX.changes as "log" because of Visual Smalltalk where the "changes" are called changes.log, excuse me.

> > > which log?
> > >
> > > Stef

> > > --
> > > Facundo Vozzi