Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list

Hi,

I have ported the Open Sound Control package to Pharo 9.0. Since the Catalog Browser is marked as legacy, I was wondering how to submit the patch. Is there a git repository? I attached the fileout to this email in case anybody wants to take a look at the package or knows how/where to add it to Pharo 9.0,

Patch Note:

OSC relies on the removed RWTextOrBinaryStream class which has very specific behavior that I could not emulate using the available stream and codec classes, so I pulled in the class from Squeak 5, renamed it to OSCStream and added it to the OSC package. This seemed to be the easiest way to do it without changing the OSC implementation, but I welcome any suggestions for a cleaner solution.

Günter

OSC.st (44K) Download Attachment

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 21 May 2021, at 14:02, Günter Khyo via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have ported the Open Sound Control package to Pharo 9.0. Since the Catalog Browser is marked as legacy, I was wondering how to submit the patch. Is there a git repository? I attached the fileout to this email in case anybody wants to take a look at the package or knows how/where to add it to Pharo 9.0,
>
> Patch Note:
>
> OSC relies on the removed RWTextOrBinaryStream class which has very specific behavior that I could not emulate using the available stream and codec classes, so I pulled in the class from Squeak 5, renamed it to OSCStream and added it to the OSC package. This seemed to be the easiest way to do it without changing the OSC implementation, but I welcome any suggestions for a cleaner solution.

I am curious, what was the specific behaviour that you could not emulate ?

> Günter
>
> <OSC.st>

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list

A RWTextOrBinaryStream instance can operate in binary or ascii mode, the mode can be switched at any time by sending ascii or binary, and some methods are mode-sensitive, e.g., contents will respond with a ByteArray in binary mode and a ByteString in ascii mode. (OSC uses ASCII encoding for addresses and strings, and binary formats for numbers and blobs.)

The OSC testcases and the parser rely on this behavior.

On 5/21/21 3:00 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

[...]

Hi Günter,

Thanks for answering, I expected that you would mention this aspect.

I don't know about OSC, but from your description it sounds like it basically is a binary protocol, where some sequences of bytes are to be interpreted as ASCII encoded strings.

I would just work on binary streams and do the encoding/decoding as needed.

ASCII is trivial, you can either do:

ZnCharacterEncoder ascii encodeString: 'OSC'

or

'OSC' asByteArray

And the inverse is either

ZnCharacterEncoder ascii decodeBytes: #[79 83 67].

or

#[79 83 67] asString.

The OSC spec says:

OSC-string
A sequence of non-null ASCII characters followed by a null, followed by 0-3 additional null characters to make the total number of bits a multiple of 32.

One approach could be:

#writeOSCString: string on: stream

  stream nextPutAll: (ZnCharacterEncoder ascii encodeString: string).
  stream nextPut: 0.
  (string size + 1) // 4 timesRepeat: [ stream nextPut: 0 ]

#readOSCStringFrom: stream

  | string |
  string := ByteArray streamContents: [ :out |
    [ stream peekFor: 0 ] whileFalse: [ out nextPut: stream next ] ].
  (string size + 1) // 4 timesRepeat: [ stream next ].
  ^ ZnCharacterEncoder ascii decodeBytes: string

My point being that you probably don't need RWTextOrBinaryStream at all.

Of course, if you ported existing code and don't want to change it much, your solution is acceptable.

Sven

> On 21 May 2021, at 15:39, Günter Khyo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A RWTextOrBinaryStream instance can operate in binary or ascii mode, the mode can be switched at any time by sending ascii or binary, and some methods are mode-sensitive, e.g., contents will respond with a ByteArray in binary mode and a ByteString in ascii mode. (OSC uses ASCII encoding for addresses and strings, and binary formats for numbers and blobs.)
>
> The OSC testcases and the parser rely on this behavior.
>
> On 5/21/21 3:00 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> On 21 May 2021, at 14:02, Günter Khyo via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]>
>>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have ported the Open Sound Control package to Pharo 9.0. Since the Catalog Browser is marked as legacy, I was wondering how to submit the patch. Is there a git repository? I attached the fileout to this email in case anybody wants to take a look at the package or knows how/where to add it to Pharo 9.0,
>>>
>>> Patch Note:
>>>
>>> OSC relies on the removed RWTextOrBinaryStream class which has very specific behavior that I could not emulate using the available stream and codec classes, so I pulled in the class from Squeak 5, renamed it to OSCStream and added it to the OSC package. This seemed to be the easiest way to do it without changing the OSC implementation, but I welcome any suggestions for a cleaner solution.
>>>
>> I am curious, what was the specific behaviour that you could not emulate ?
>>

>>> Günter
>>>
>>> <OSC.st>

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

ducasse
Hi gunter

I’m maintaining OSC
and TUIO

Please do some PR if something does not work.

<OSC.st>

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

ducasse
The old travis was telling that the code works in 6.1, 7 and 8.0
I added GithubActions for Pharo 80 and I will see.

On 21 May 2021, at 17:40, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I checked and all the tests pass on Pharo80.
Now I did a little pass on the tests.
I do not have the time to migrate this lib to P9.
But I would accept Pull Requests :)

S.

On 21 May 2021, at 17:46, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your response! That's a much nicer solution. Indeed, I did
not want to change the implementation (for now) even though I don't
really like the moded behavior RWTextOrBinaryStream and it was removed
for good reason.

I would like to suggest to use the port with that ugly wart as it is for
now, so that others can use OSC. When I get around to it, I will use
your suggestions to retrofit the package and add some more documentation.

Günter

On 5/21/21 5:18 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi Günter,
>
> Thanks for answering, I expected that you would mention this aspect.
>
> I don't know about OSC, but from your description it sounds like it basically is a binary protocol, where some sequences of bytes are to be interpreted as ASCII encoded strings.
>
> I would just work on binary streams and do the encoding/decoding as needed.
>
> ASCII is trivial, you can either do:
>
> ZnCharacterEncoder ascii encodeString: 'OSC'
>
> or
>
> 'OSC' asByteArray
>
> And the inverse is either
>
> ZnCharacterEncoder ascii decodeBytes: #[79 83 67].
>
> or
>
> #[79 83 67] asString.
>
> The OSC spec says:
>
> OSC-string
> A sequence of non-null ASCII characters followed by a null, followed by 0-3 additional null characters to make the total number of bits a multiple of 32.
>
> One approach could be:
>
> #writeOSCString: string on: stream
>
>    stream nextPutAll: (ZnCharacterEncoder ascii encodeString: string).
>    stream nextPut: 0.
>    (string size + 1) // 4 timesRepeat: [ stream nextPut: 0 ]
>
> #readOSCStringFrom: stream
>
>    | string |
>    string := ByteArray streamContents: [ :out |
>      [ stream peekFor: 0 ] whileFalse: [ out nextPut: stream next ] ].
>    (string size + 1) // 4 timesRepeat: [ stream next ].
>    ^ ZnCharacterEncoder ascii decodeBytes: string
>
> My point being that you probably don't need RWTextOrBinaryStream at all.
>
> Of course, if you ported existing code and don't want to change it much, your solution is acceptable.
>
> Sven
>
>> On 21 May 2021, at 15:39, Günter Khyo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A RWTextOrBinaryStream instance can operate in binary or ascii mode, the mode can be switched at any time by sending ascii or binary, and some methods are mode-sensitive, e.g., contents will respond with a ByteArray in binary mode and a ByteString in ascii mode. (OSC uses ASCII encoding for addresses and strings, and binary formats for numbers and blobs.)
>>
>> The OSC testcases and the parser rely on this behavior.

>>> I am curious, what was the specific behaviour that you could not emulate ?

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list

Hi Stef,

Great! I'll send you a pull-request for the "hotfix" this evening. As I mentioned to Sven, I'll do some rework on the implementation and documentation when I find the time.

Günter

On 5/21/21 5:55 PM, ducasse wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
I do not think that it is good to reintroduce this super ugly class. at the minimum it should be in a separate branch.

On 21 May 2021, at 18:06, Günter Khyo via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am 100% confident that we can fix this easily (i.e. portability across 7, 8 or 9), there is not a lot of code and it looks pretty straightforward at first sight.

> On 21 May 2021, at 18:23, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks.
> I do not think that it is good to reintroduce this super ugly class. at the minimum it should be in a separate branch.

>> On 21 May 2021, at 18:06, Günter Khyo via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Great! I'll send you a pull-request for the "hotfix" this evening. As I mentioned to Sven, I'll do some rework on the implementation and documentation when I find the time.
>>
>> Günter
>>
>> On 5/21/21 5:55 PM, ducasse wrote:
>>> I checked and all the tests pass on Pharo80.
>>> Now I did a little pass on the tests.
>>> I do not have the time to migrate this lib to P9.
>>> But I would accept Pull Requests :)
>>>
>>> S.

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Sven,

Sounds good! Since you are more experienced, would you like to do the
changes?

On 5/21/21 6:30 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I am 100% confident that we can fix this easily (i.e. portability across 7, 8 or 9), there is not a lot of code and it looks pretty straightforward at first sight.
>
>> On 21 May 2021, at 18:23, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks.
>> I do not think that it is good to reintroduce this super ugly class. at the minimum it should be in a separate branch.

>>> On 21 May 2021, at 18:06, Günter Khyo via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Stef,
>>>
>>> Great! I'll send you a pull-request for the "hotfix" this evening. As I mentioned to Sven, I'll do some rework on the implementation and documentation when I find the time.
>>>
>>> Günter

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list

Thanks to Sven's tips I fixed the package and ditched the hacky Stream class. I also cleaned up some messy parts in the implementation. I noticed that the current implementation does not handle blobs and the server packet processing logic could be improved. Also, I am not sure whether recursive bundles are handled correctly (more test cases needed) and to which extent they are used in OSC applications, so one would have to do a fair bit of polishing for an "industry grade" implementation.

In any case, if there are any users that would like to use and test OSC, I am happy to take feedback and make necessary additions/modifications.

Stef, I'll send you a pull request tomorrow, now I have to catch some sleep.

OSC.st (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Open Sound Control Package for Pharo 9.0

ducasse
Thanks for the PR.
I do not know if you saw but there is also the Tuio package (I added a smoke test)
because there was no test.
But normally it uses OSC.