Open Sourcing the Data Journalism Handbook with Grafoscopio

Open Sourcing the Data Journalism Handbook with Grafoscopio

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi,

Recently, in our local hackerspace, we used, extended and adapted, Grafoscopio to recreate the first open source version of the Data Journalism Handbook, in Spanish. Quoting from the project page:

There are some interesting Free Cultural Works which are not open sourced.
This means that, they are covered under pretty liberal licenses,
allowing their remix, sale and modification, but the infrastructures
which support the creation, modification and publishing of such works,
don’t allow wide participation and deep traceability of their history of
such collective endeavors.

This is our approach about alternative ways for creating such works,
addressing the above problem, using the Data Journalism Handbook as an
example (English, Spanish) and pocket infrastructures, which are simple, self

contained, and work well on-line and off-line, like Fossil and
Grafoscopio. Also we extended and adapted Grafoscopio, during this project,
to make the tool suit the problem (and not the usual other way around).

More information and downloadable files in the project source code repository:

http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/

This is also an example of the kind of books you can create now with/inside Grafoscopio (with Pandoc).

And, of course, the customary screenshots:

photo532578960227822324

photo5082366090373343168

Captura de pantalla del manual en Grafoscopio.

Cheers,

Offray

Open Sourcing the Data Journalism Handbook with Grafoscopio (202K) Download Attachment

Re: Open Sourcing the Data Journalism Handbook with Grafoscopio

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Upps... I copied and pasted parts of my original post in the Open Knowedge Forum, so it seems that it got scrambled with some extra information from there here.

Anyway I hope the message is clear.

Cheers,

Offray

On 04/10/17 21:09, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ben,

Your words are encouraging as always. Is really worthy to count with people like you, that you care so much for the community and have always time for suggestions and support in several members projects and issues.

Cheers,

Offray