OpenAL bindings.

Ronie Salgado
Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

MerwanOuddane

Nice :)
Note to the people: lower the volume before starting the video ^^

On Jul 10, 2015 3:52 AM, "Ronie Salgado" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

Clément Béra
I am interested in playing music in Pharo.

Questions:
- Does your bindings work fine on Mac os x ?
- Do you have to put a .so / .dll somewhere near your vm or does it work out of the box ?
- Where can I download your code ?

Good work,

Best,

Clement

Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

Ronie Salgado
Hi Clément,

- Does your bindings work fine on Mac os x ?
I don't know. They should work.

- Do you have to put a .so / .dll somewhere near your vm or does it work out of the box ?
It requires an implementation of OpenAL to be available. In Linux I only need to install the OpenAL package. In windows, I have to use the OpenAL soft implementation ( http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html )
Perhaps there is some tweaking needed in the library search path for OS X.

- Where can I download your code ?
http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ronsaldo/OpenAL/

Best regards,
Ronie

I am interested in playing music in Pharo.

Questions:
- Does your bindings work fine on Mac os x ?
- Do you have to put a .so / .dll somewhere near your vm or does it work out of the box ?
- Where can I download your code ?

Good work,

Best,

Clement

Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

Clément Béra
Ok I tried and your examples work out of the box on my mac. Nice work.

Can you please add an example where you play a .wav or .mp3 ? I am not very good at composing music :-)

Hi Clément,

[...]

stepharo
Hi ronie
this is nice but why do you want to integrate it into Woden?
To me Woden is for 3D graphics.

Setf

Le 10/7/15 03:51, Ronie Salgado a écrit :
Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

philippeback

More like a game engine I'd say.

So, makes sense to me.

Phil

Le 10 juil. 2015 22:36, "stepharo" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi ronie
this is nice but why do you want to integrate it into Woden?
To me Woden is for 3D graphics.

Setf

Le 10/7/15 03:51, Ronie Salgado a écrit :
Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

Ronie Salgado
Hi,

this is nice but why do you want to integrate it into Woden?
To me Woden is for 3D graphics.
Woden is actually a game engine. Currently there is even some support for using bullet physics, but it is actually a bit hard to use because it requires compiling the bindings.
Of course, using sound will be optional. Integrating sound support is quite easy. There is only three things that need to be added to woden: Sound sources, sound listener and sound data.

The hardest part with sound is actually being able  to play a .wav, .mp3. or a .ogg. Currently I am looking in the PharoSound package for existing infrastructure for loading or streaming these sound formats. But i think, that I will have to add the support for Ogg/Vorbis. I don't like using MP3 because of the infamous patents.

Is openAL proprietary now.. ? I guess it was open source and there is a fork now.
Well, the  only hardware implementation that I know about is the one by Creative. I always use the open source implementation OpenAL Soft ( http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html ).
I use OpenAL because it is the only cross platform 3D audio API/library that I know about, and because it is really to use. I don't have to worry about multi-threading when using it.

I am not using SDL2 audio support because:
- It uses a callback for filling the sound buffer, which is run in another operating system thread.
- No 3D audio support.

Greetings,
Ronie

Is openAL proprietary now.. ? I guess it was open source and there is a fork now.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Ronie Salgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I made bindings for OpenAL, a 3D audio library.

Here I made a quick demo: https://youtu.be/0wqbJrfYmU8

Next, I will integrate it into Woden.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: OpenAL bindings.

stepharo
Ronie
I suggest that you think more modularly.
Some people will just want some 3D, others everything so this is important that they can use the part they want.
For example we are using Woden for a Thales prototype and there is no need for bullet, openAl.

Stef

Le 11/7/15 08:59, Ronie Salgado a écrit :
Hi,

[...]

HilaireFernandes
Le 11/07/2015 14:59, Ronie Salgado a écrit :
> looking in the PharoSound package for existing infrastructure for
> have to add the support for Ogg/Vorbis. I don't like using MP3 because
> of the infamous patents.
I believe there is Ogg/Vorbis support in Squeak, so it can be a good
starting point.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo