OpenCroquet Website

Torsten Bergmann
Bill wrote (on pharo list):
>They appear to back full tilt on the Smalltalk front, using Squeak.
>http://www.opencobalt.org

Yes, I know OpenCobalt and I thought of it as a fork.
According to the wikipedia page [1] (which only links to Croquet)
it sits on top of the Croquet SDK. Similar to the Krestianstvo SDK.

However - would be nice if http://www.opencroquet.org
would point also to
 - http://www.opencobalt.org and
 - http://www.krestianstvo.org/
if anyone knows a person who is able to change the page.

Bye
T.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_Project

Re: OpenCroquet Website

Schwab,Wilhelm K
My read on OpenCobalt was that it was not a fork, but a complete replacement.  The consortium was effectively saying "we're the big guys now, and we're going to do this right..."  It is fascinating to see that Smalltalk won out.  I still don't like the compiler changes: never do _to_ the language what you can do _using_ the language.  Well, ok, there are exceptions such as primitives, but Tea really should be an event/announcement system made from ordinary objects (including some weaklings, of course).

I also do not care for the forced 3D immersion idea.  Their code for handling 3D objects was gorgeous, at least when I last looked.  They also appear to have tried to separate some of it for use by other projects.  I need to dig into that.  Hopefully it's the same stuff, but embeddable in a traditional desktop app.

Minor disagreements aside, I wish them well with it, and I'm thrilled to see Smalltalk back on the job :)

Bill

>They appear to back full tilt on the Smalltalk front, using Squeak.
>http://www.opencobalt.org

Yes, I know OpenCobalt and I thought of it as a fork.
According to the wikipedia page [1] (which only links to Croquet)
it sits on top of the Croquet SDK. Similar to the Krestianstvo SDK.

However - would be nice if http://www.opencroquet.org
would point also to
 - http://www.opencobalt.org and
 - http://www.krestianstvo.org/
if anyone knows a person who is able to change the page.

Bye
T.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_Project

Re: OpenCroquet Website

Chris Muller-3
I thought Cobalt was an application-layer built on top of Croquet..

It certainly doesn't look like a complete replacement since, on the
opencobalt home page, under "Recent Code Contributions" it has
references to packages named "Croquet..."

Also, under the "news" items, you have references to Julian Lombardi,
who is (was?) a Croquet guy...

But I'm just speculating, I could be wrong..