OpenSmalltalk VM on Gentoo Linux

Samuel Hodgkins

So, I've recently moved to Gentoo Linux and want to run the Squeak VM. Unfortunately, there's no ebuild or package for the OpenSmalltalk VM (There is one for 'classic' VM though).
As such, does anyone have a list of the dependencies so that I can install them? (or if someone has written a ebuild/package for VM.)
(maybe after I get it working I'll learn how to write an ebuild and do that.)

Re: OpenSmalltalk VM on Gentoo Linux

fniephaus

Hi Samuel,

I'm quite unfamiliar with Gentoo, but you can find a list of the Debian/Ubuntu package dependencies at [1]. Hope this helps somehow.

Fabio

--

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 4:44 AM Samuel Hodgkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

So, I've recently moved to Gentoo Linux and want to run the Squeak VM. Unfortunately, there's no ebuild or package for the OpenSmalltalk VM (There is one for 'classic' VM though).
As such, does anyone have a list of the dependencies so that I can install them? (or if someone has written a ebuild/package for VM.)
(maybe after I get it working I'll learn how to write an ebuild and do that.)

Re: OpenSmalltalk VM on Gentoo Linux

Samuel Hodgkins

I figured it out anyway, after some trial-and-error and plenty of compiling. For future reference, these are the packages that I had to explicitly enable 32-bit support for - this goes in a file in (or at the end of) /etc/portage/package.use.

x11-libs/libX11 abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libXext abi_x86_32
media-libs/mesa abi_x86_32
sys-apps/util-linux abi_x86_32
media-libs/alsa-lib abi_x86_32
dev-libs/openssl abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libSM abi_x86_32
There are other dependencies, but the package manager should figure those out and allow you to add them automatically.

[1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/b07b562e165f502b96ef8ea6eba1297e94cc1a29/.travis_install.sh#L3-L32

--

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 4:44 AM Samuel Hodgkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>So, I've recently moved to Gentoo Linux and want to run the Squeak VM. Unfortunately, there's no ebuild or package for the OpenSmalltalk VM (There is one for 'classic' VM though).
>As such, does anyone have a list of the dependencies so that I can install them? (or if someone has written a ebuild/package for VM.)
>(maybe after I get it working I'll learn how to write an ebuild and do that.)

Re: OpenSmalltalk VM on Gentoo Linux

Ben Coman

Hi Samuel, Sorry for the late reply.  I was just reviewing my Spam folder and found you email stuck there.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Samuel Hodgkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

So, I've recently moved to Gentoo Linux and want to run the Squeak VM. Unfortunately, there's no ebuild or package for the OpenSmalltalk VM (There is one for 'classic' VM though).
As such, does anyone have a list of the dependencies so that I can install them? (or if someone has written a ebuild/package for VM.)

I'm not aware of an ebuild.

I presume you've got a 64-bit Gentoo install, and the default release VM is 32-bit.
Pharo & Squeak use the same VM (although Pharo depends on a few more external libs)
and has some instructions for other distributions here.

But 64-bit is getting close

Or you might try Squeak's experimental 64-bit...
You can also use 'ldd' to determine the dependencies.

(maybe after I get it working I'll learn how to write an ebuild and do that.)

Easing installation on another platform would be cool. Here are your sources...

cheers -ben