OpenTalk v Smalltalk Broker

Charles Adams
I am porting an application from VW 2.5 to VW 7.4. It uses Smalltalk Broker, so I need to find out how much effort is involved in porting to OpenTalk. In a little bit of web browsing, Smalltalk Broker appears to be a dead product. So a replacement is probably in order.

Any recommendations?

Charles Adams
Adventa Control Technologies, Inc.

Re: OpenTalk v Smalltalk Broker

Charles Adams
Hmm, my question did not come out right. Let me try again.

Is Opentalk a suitable replacement for the functionality provided by Smalltalk Broker?

What kind of porting issues might be involved?

If Opentalk is not the right replacement, what is?

Charles Adams
Adventa Control Technologies, Inc.

Re: OpenTalk v Smalltalk Broker

James Robertson-3
At 01:52 PM 7/10/2006, you wrote:
>Hmm, my question did not come out right. Let me try again.
>
>Is Opentalk a suitable replacement for the functionality provided by
>Smalltalk Broker?
>
>What kind of porting issues might be involved?
>
>If Opentalk is not the right replacement, what is?

That depends.  If you need to CORBA interfaces, then you want to use
DST.  If it's all Smalltalk to Smalltalk, then yes - use
Opentalk.  DST will eventually be on top of Opentalk in any case.

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView