OpenWeatherMap.org api?

timrowledge
I don’t suppose anyone has already written stuff to connect to www.openweathermap.org site?

I’ve found python code that claims to suport it (but it makes little sense to me so far) at https://github.com/presch/python-openweathermap-api/blob/master/package/pyowm.py It would be nice to be able to do similar directly from Squeak.

tim
Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

Frank Shearar-3
On 13 July 2016 at 11:24, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don’t suppose anyone has already written stuff to connect to www.openweathermap.org site?

I’ve found python code that claims to suport it (but it makes little sense to me so far) at https://github.com/presch/python-openweathermap-api/blob/master/package/pyowm.py It would be nice to be able to do similar directly from Squeak.

It's not Squeak, but here's a blog post describing how to do it with F#: http://evelinag.com/blog/2014/09-15-introducing-ariadne/journal/WeatherData.html

frank

tim
Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

timrowledge
Thanks Frank,

> On 13-07-2016, at 2:25 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13 July 2016 at 11:24, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don’t suppose anyone has already written stuff to connect to www.openweathermap.org site?
{snip}
> It's not Squeak, but here's a blog post describing how to do it with F#: http://evelinag.com/blog/2014/09-15-introducing-ariadne/journal/WeatherData.html

OK, so for some reason that made me think of Json, which reminded about a mail a few days ago on the "Re: rice paper background in trunk? “ thread that mentioned loading a package called JSON. So I installed it and to my surprise
`Json readFrom: (WebClient httpGet: ‘http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.1/find/name?q=Nanaimo,CA') content readStream`
returned a completely plausible result. Cool! Quick, I must add “JSon expertise” to my LinkedIn page :-)

Now all I need to do is develop a little understanding of what on earth it is all about. Pointers to very, very, basic doc appreciated.

tim
Any program that runs right is obsolete.

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 05:35:32PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Thanks Frank,
>
> > On 13-07-2016, at 2:25 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 13 July 2016 at 11:24, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don???t suppose anyone has already written stuff to connect to www.openweathermap.org site?
> {snip}
> > It's not Squeak, but here's a blog post describing how to do it with F#: http://evelinag.com/blog/2014/09-15-introducing-ariadne/journal/WeatherData.html
>
> OK, so for some reason that made me think of Json, which reminded about a mail a few days ago on the "Re: rice paper background in trunk? ??? thread that mentioned loading a package called JSON. So I installed it and to my surprise
> `Json readFrom: (WebClient httpGet: ???http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.1/find/name?q=Nanaimo,CA') content readStream`
> returned a completely plausible result. Cool! Quick, I must add ???JSon expertise??? to my LinkedIn page :-)
>
> Now all I need to do is develop a little understanding of what on earth it is all about. Pointers to very, very, basic doc appreciated.

Back in the old days, we used to have to hire really expensive smart
people called "consultants" to answer questions like this. Not any more,
in the modern era the consultants are gone and we can just look it up on
the internet(*)

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

(*) Tim, for deeper insight into the true significance of internet dependency,
be sure to watch the South Park riff on Steinbeck's classic "The Grapes of Wrath"
at http://watchcartoonsonline.eu/watch/south-park-s12-e6-logging/

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

timrowledge

> On 13-07-2016, at 6:38 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 05:35:32PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
{snip}

>> Now all I need to do is develop a little understanding of what on earth it is all about. Pointers to very, very, basic doc appreciated.
>>

> Back in the old days, we used to have to hire really expensive smart
> people called "consultants" to answer questions like this. Not any more,
> in the modern era the consultants are gone and we can just look it up on
> the internet(*)

I’ve heard of this googley thing but every time I look up stuff I get swamped with mostly crapulent cruft. You can;t even rely on time stamps on blog pages etc most of the time because people just keep passing on out of date nonsense! It does get so wearying. That’s why personal recommendations are a much nicer way to start.

In fact I think there must be a profitable business there somewhere…

>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

Ta.

> (*) Tim, for deeper insight into the true significance of internet dependency,
> be sure to watch the South Park riff on Steinbeck's classic "The Grapes of Wrath"
> at http://watchcartoonsonline.eu/watch/south-park-s12-e6-logging/

I don’t have internet dependency. I’ve been able to give it up for minutes at a time,

tim
Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

Craig Latta

Hi Tim and all--

> I’ve heard of this googley thing but every time I look up stuff I get
> swamped with mostly crapulent cruft. You can't even rely on time
> stamps on blog pages etc most of the time because people just keep
> passing on out of date nonsense! It does get so wearying. That’s why
> personal recommendations are a much nicer way to start.

     For what it's worth... if you use DuckDuckGo[1] as your web
browser's default search engine, you can type "!wikipedia json" into the
address bar of your web browser and the JSON page comes right up. It's
almost as good as "!urbandictionary lmgtfy". :)  Also DDG claims not to
track your crapulent reading habits.

-C

[1] https://duckduckgo.com

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

timrowledge
I can now read current weather data for any city they handle, and build a reasonable weather data object from the results. One could wish for better written API specs…

Still, pretty cool.

tim
Death is a nonmaskable interrupt. For now...

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

Peter Crowther-2
On 15 July 2016 at 05:26, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
One could wish for better written API specs…

Welcome to JSON.  WYSIAYG...

- Peter

Re: OpenWeatherMap.org api?

Tobias Pape

On 14.07.2016, at 02:35, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Frank,
>
>> On 13-07-2016, at 2:25 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 13 July 2016 at 11:24, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don’t suppose anyone has already written stuff to connect to www.openweathermap.org site?
> {snip}
>> It's not Squeak, but here's a blog post describing how to do it with F#: http://evelinag.com/blog/2014/09-15-introducing-ariadne/journal/WeatherData.html
>
> OK, so for some reason that made me think of Json, which reminded about a mail a few days ago on the "Re: rice paper background in trunk? “ thread that mentioned loading a package called JSON. So I installed it and to my surprise
> `Json readFrom: (WebClient httpGet: ‘http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.1/find/name?q=Nanaimo,CA') content readStream`
> returned a completely plausible result. Cool! Quick, I must add “JSon expertise” to my LinkedIn page :-)

Oh, by the way, I asked Tony, and he's ok with including JSON into trunk.
I would really like that and car for it :)
Best
        -Tobias