Opening Monitcello repositories seems very slow.

Opening Monitcello repositories seems very slow.

Paul DeBruicker
Hi -

I'm hoping there's something wrong in my setup but in a new GLASS
2.4.4.1 extent with GemTools 1.0b4 (both running locally) it takes
several minutes to load the Monticello listing for a repository on my
local hard drive as well as those on squeaksource and GemSource.

It also seems that it takes much longer than it used to (Glass231) and
much longer than it does in Pharo.

Is there an easy way to attempt to diagnose why its slower than it used
to be?  The CPU and disk don't appear to be doing any more work than
they used to.  I'd guess there is a Delay somewhere that gets called
excessively but have no idea.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Paul

Re: Opening Monitcello repositories seems very slow.

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

When you add the repository do you use the 'directory' or 'directory on
<hostname>' option?

The 'directory on<hostname>' variant will be significantly faster as the
access to the disk is direct instead of via GCI calls...

Dale

On 12/02/2010 11:06 AM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'm hoping there's something wrong in my setup but in a new GLASS
> 2.4.4.1 extent with GemTools 1.0b4 (both running locally) it takes
> several minutes to load the Monticello listing for a repository on my
> local hard drive as well as those on squeaksource and GemSource.
>
> It also seems that it takes much longer than it used to (Glass231) and
> much longer than it does in Pharo.
>
> Is there an easy way to attempt to diagnose why its slower than it used
> to be?  The CPU and disk don't appear to be doing any more work than
> they used to.  I'd guess there is a Delay somewhere that gets called
> excessively but have no idea.
>

> Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
>
> Paul

Re: Opening Monitcello repositories seems very slow.

Paul DeBruicker
Thanks Dale.  That is much better.

Is there a way in a Metacello configuration to declare that type of
repository for the gemstone specific stuff?  I presume it'd be

spec repository: 'my-computer:/path/to/my/package'

but can't really tell if that's accessing it in the non-GCI way or using
an earlier repo declaration that omits the 'my-computer:' part.

Paul

On 12/05/2010 08:50 AM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> Thanks Dale.  That is much better.
>
> Is there a way in a Metacello configuration to declare that type of
> repository for the gemstone specific stuff?  I presume it'd be
>
> spec repository: 'my-computer:/path/to/my/package'
>
> but can't really tell if that's accessing it in the non-GCI way or using
> an earlier repo declaration that omits the 'my-computer:' part.

For metacello you use the following style for declaring directory-based
repositories:

     'path'          - ServerFileDirectory used
     'client://path' - FileDirectory used
     'server://path' - ServerFileDirectory used

Dale