Opentalk Communication bewteen VMs

Machisuji
Hey,

we have a system with a single server and several clients which communicate with the server via Opentalk.
Everything worked fine so far.
But now we would like to let everything run on VMs (VirtualBox).
That is there is one VM running the server on one computer
and another VM running a client on another computer.

Unfortunately in this scenario[1] the communication does not work any more, though.
Upon trying to get a service from the broker we get an exception "failed to establish connection to: <host name>:<ip>".
The two VMs definitely "see" eachother. You can access the Seaside page running on the one vm
from the other vm (The ports for Seaside and the ports for the brokers are forwarded to the respective VM).
Has anyone got an idea as to what we could do to make it work?

Thank you!

Regards,

Markus Kahl

Re: Opentalk Communication bewteen VMs

Mike Hales
Whenever I have problems with Opentalk it usually an issue with the configuration of my network or machine and name resolution. One "gotcha" that I have seen is when the machine has an entry in the hosts file that directs it's own name lookup to loopback. For example if my machine was host1, if I had a hosts file like:

127.0.1.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 host1

I would have problems. If you remove the second line, then the name lookup happens through dns. Opentalk seems to look up it's own ip by name and specifies it as the return address in the message. When this happens, the replies try to go to the wrong place .

The other problems I've seen have been when the machine is multi-homed, that is, it has two network cards. You have to make sure that the broker is listening on the same interface that both the server and the clients will resolve.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Mike Hales
Engineering Manager