Opentalk Communication bewteen VMs

1 message Options

Opentalk Communication bewteen VMs

kobetic
"Markus Kahl"<[hidden email]> wrote:

> we have a system with a single server and several clients which communicate
> with the server via Opentalk.
> Everything worked fine so far.
> But now we would like to let everything run on VMs (VirtualBox).
> That is there is one VM running the server on one computer
> and another VM running a client on another computer.
>
> Unfortunately in this scenario[1] the communication does not work any more,
> though.
> Upon trying to get a service from the broker we get an exception "failed to
> establish connection to: <host name>:<ip>".
> The two VMs definitely "see" eachother. You can access the Seaside page
> running on the one vm
> from the other vm (The ports for Seaside and the ports for the brokers are
> forwarded to the respective VM).
> Has anyone got an idea as to what we could do to make it work?

The results will be highly dependent on how is networking configured on your VMs. If they are set up so that they behave as just a bunch of computers on the same network with their own IP addresses from the same network address space, then all should just work. However often the basic/default setup is such that the VM isn't directly visible to other VMs on the same host or from other hosts on the network. There might be some port forwarding involved etc. Opentalk can accommodate most of these situations, but will require specific setup. You'll need VW 7.5 or latest. Look up the section on 'Network Configuration' in Chapter 5 (Broker Configuration) in OpentalkDevGuide (or see the Opentalk release notes for VW7.5). That should give you enough information to get going. If not you'll have to provide more details about the networking setup of your VMs to get more specific advice.

HTH,

Martin