Opt for Annotations Pane

Tobias Pape
Hi.

I'd like to propose to turn the Annotations Pane
_on_ by default. IMHO, this will give some advantages:

• Awareness of:
        – Have _I_ already changed the method I'm watching?
        – How old is this method
                (can be useful if two methods provide similar behaviour)
        – Who can be contacted directly if something
                is unclear
        – What Category/Protocol is this method in
                (really useful if you're browsing “-- all --” methods)
• A glimpse on the class comment when browsing
        classes (and the awareness of missing Class comments,
        a problem that annoyed me recently)

Turning the AnnPane on is one of the first things I do when
opening a new Image.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: Opt for Annotations Pane

Steve Wessels-2
Me too.  Optional buttons have no longer become an option for me.

Having the ability to turn these features off remains important
because of screen real estate consumed, and with annotations, possibly
some performance hit as well.

But I also prefer the annotations pane.

- Steve

On Apr 24, 2010, at 5:50 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'd like to propose to turn the Annotations Pane
> _on_ by default. IMHO, this will give some advantages:
>
> •    Awareness of:
>    –    Have _I_ already changed the method I'm watching?
>    –    How old is this method
>        (can be useful if two methods provide similar behaviour)
>    –    Who can be contacted directly if something
>        is unclear
>    –    What Category/Protocol is this method in
>        (really useful if you're browsing “-- all --” methods)
> •    A glimpse on the class comment when browsing
>    classes (and the awareness of missing Class comments,
>    a problem that annoyed me recently)
>
> Turning the AnnPane on is one of the first things I do when
> opening a new Image.
>
> So Long,
>    -Tobias

bpi

Re: Opt for Annotations Pane

bpi
+1
For newbies it is useful functionality, and the experts know how to turn it off.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 24.04.2010 um 12:50 schrieb Tobias Pape:

> Hi.
>
> I'd like to propose to turn the Annotations Pane
> _on_ by default. IMHO, this will give some advantages:
>
> • Awareness of:
> – Have _I_ already changed the method I'm watching?
> – How old is this method
> (can be useful if two methods provide similar behaviour)
> – Who can be contacted directly if something
> is unclear
> – What Category/Protocol is this method in
> (really useful if you're browsing “-- all --” methods)
> • A glimpse on the class comment when browsing
> classes (and the awareness of missing Class comments,
> a problem that annoyed me recently)
>
> Turning the AnnPane on is one of the first things I do when
> opening a new Image.
>
> So Long,
> -Tobias

Re: Opt for Annotations Pane

Hannes Hirzel
+1
OK, we have four persons in favour of this. Could somebody please
figure out where the initialisation code for this preference is and
post the change to the inbox?
(I looked into the Preferences Browser code this morning looking for
something else and I did not easily find my way around).

Hannes

On 4/24/10, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
> For newbies it is useful functionality, and the experts know how to turn it
> off.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
> Am 24.04.2010 um 12:50 schrieb Tobias Pape:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'd like to propose to turn the Annotations Pane
>> _on_ by default. IMHO, this will give some advantages:
>>
>> • Awareness of:
>> – Have _I_ already changed the method I'm watching?
>> – How old is this method
>> (can be useful if two methods provide similar behaviour)
>> – Who can be contacted directly if something
>> is unclear
>> – What Category/Protocol is this method in
>> (really useful if you're browsing “-- all --” methods)
>> • A glimpse on the class comment when browsing
>> classes (and the awareness of missing Class comments,
>> a problem that annoyed me recently)
>>
>> Turning the AnnPane on is one of the first things I do when
>> opening a new Image.
>>
>> So Long,
>> -Tobias

Re: Opt for Annotations Pane

Casey Ransberger-2
Unless it's a pragma preference, you can probably set it by sending a message to the Preferences class. I can't remember the name of the selector offhand though.

Looks something like

Preferences setPreference: #foo toValue: true

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Opt for Annotations Pane

Chris Muller-3
Oh, thank you!   +1

Annotations are not just good for developres, they're good for
newbies, because, when a newbie browses the system for the first time,
a persons name or initials combined with the date brings "humanity"
and concreteness to what they're browsing insteaad of it being so...
"mysterious"..

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'd like to propose to turn the Annotations Pane
> _on_ by default. IMHO, this will give some advantages:
>
> •       Awareness of:
>        –       Have _I_ already changed the method I'm watching?
>        –       How old is this method
>                (can be useful if two methods provide similar behaviour)
>        –       Who can be contacted directly if something
>                is unclear
>        –       What Category/Protocol is this method in
>                (really useful if you're browsing “-- all --” methods)
> •       A glimpse on the class comment when browsing
>        classes (and the awareness of missing Class comments,
>        a problem that annoyed me recently)
>
> Turning the AnnPane on is one of the first things I do when
> opening a new Image.
>
> So Long,
>        -Tobias

bpi