Oracle on Linux

NorbertHartl
I see from time to time topics like SQL popping up. Most of the time DBXTalk seems to be a requirement. It is also something that is considered necessary for a lot of people. Now have the need to access an oracle database. Is that possible? And if yes does it also work on linux?

Norbert

Re: Oracle on Linux

Esteban A. Maringolo

I don't know if you need full fledged access or just to read a few tables.

If it the latest you can use PostgreSQL Foreign Data Wrappers (FDW) and access the pgsql instance using the existing PGv2 driver.

I know it might look convoluted, and maybe it is, but you avoid using DBX.

Regards.

Ps: FDW are amazing.

El abr 2, 2015 6:07 AM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> escribió:
I see from time to time topics like SQL popping up. Most of the time DBXTalk seems to be a requirement. It is also something that is considered necessary for a lot of people. Now have the need to access an oracle database. Is that possible? And if yes does it also work on linux?

Norbert

Re: Oracle on Linux

Tudor Girba-2
I managed to access Oracle through DBXTalk but on Windows 7.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Oracle on Linux

NorbertHartl

Am 02.04.2015 um 12:52 schrieb Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

I don't know if you need full fledged access or just to read a few tables.

If it the latest you can use PostgreSQL Foreign Data Wrappers (FDW) and access the pgsql instance using the existing PGv2 driver.

I know it might look convoluted, and maybe it is, but you avoid using DBX.

I would also avoid using oracle which is a prerequisite, right? :) So DBX is to avoid? Sorry, I didn't care very much about SQL engines the last years.

Norbert

Regards.

Ps: FDW are amazing.

El abr 2, 2015 6:07 AM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> escribió:
I see from time to time topics like SQL popping up. Most of the time DBXTalk seems to be a requirement. It is also something that is considered necessary for a lot of people. Now have the need to access an oracle database. Is that possible? And if yes does it also work on linux?

Norbert

Re: Oracle on Linux

EstebanLM

On 02 Apr 2015, at 13:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 02.04.2015 um 12:52 schrieb Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

I don't know if you need full fledged access or just to read a few tables.

If it the latest you can use PostgreSQL Foreign Data Wrappers (FDW) and access the pgsql instance using the existing PGv2 driver.

I know it might look convoluted, and maybe it is, but you avoid using DBX.

I would also avoid using oracle which is a prerequisite, right? :) So DBX is to avoid? Sorry, I didn't care very much about SQL engines the last years.

why DBX is to avoid?
in linux, it is your only chance for connecting to oracle (in windows you could also use odbc).
and it should be working, AFAIK

Esteban

Am 02.04.2015 um 13:55 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

On 02 Apr 2015, at 13:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 02.04.2015 um 12:52 schrieb Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

I don't know if you need full fledged access or just to read a few tables.

If it the latest you can use PostgreSQL Foreign Data Wrappers (FDW) and access the pgsql instance using the existing PGv2 driver.

I know it might look convoluted, and maybe it is, but you avoid using DBX.

I would also avoid using oracle which is a prerequisite, right? :) So DBX is to avoid? Sorry, I didn't care very much about SQL engines the last years.

why DBX is to avoid?

I don't know. I read the sentence "I know it might look convoluted, and maybe it is, but you avoid using DBX." as avoiding DBX is something positive. So I want to know as well.

in linux, it is your only chance for connecting to oracle (in windows you could also use odbc).
and it should be working, AFAIK

I'm fine with using DBX as long as it works. I understood also that it is one of the higher prioritized tasks for the consortium.

Norbert

Esteban

Norbert

Regards.

Ps: FDW are amazing.

El abr 2, 2015 6:07 AM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> escribió:
I see from time to time topics like SQL popping up. Most of the time DBXTalk seems to be a requirement. It is also something that is considered necessary for a lot of people. Now have the need to access an oracle database. Is that possible? And if yes does it also work on linux?

Norbert

Re: Oracle on Linux

Esteban A. Maringolo

My position is that OpenDBX as a library, independently of Pharo, is a dead end. It might have been a good candidate in the past, but today it has no real use.

But it is also true that for Pharo it is the only option you have to run it on Linux.

Regards,

ps: I would also avoid Oracle altogether as well, but given the fact it seems to be a requirement I didn't bring it to the discussion.

El abr 2, 2015 11:04 AM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

philippeback
This discussion about database connectivity feels like the early days of JDBC.

Things got solved when people wrote the type 4 drivers in Java, making it all nice to use and all.

Given our resources, I doubt we can get there very fast. But maybe could we leverage the Java work in a way or another.

Would it be possible to parse the Java code and have a kind of code rewriter to target Pharo so that we could have those drivers?

Phil

Am 03.04.2015 um 00:19 schrieb Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>:

My position is that OpenDBX as a library, independently of Pharo, is a dead end. It might have been a good candidate in the past, but today it has no real use.

But it is also true that for Pharo it is the only option you have to run it on Linux.

Ok, understood. Thanks!

Regards,

ps: I would also avoid Oracle altogether as well, but given the fact it seems to be a requirement I didn't bring it to the discussion.

I would avoid using an SQL engine if I could decide. But if a customer has an existing database there is nothing to think about. I only need a few things out of the database. So to me it appears I give it a try with pharo. If it does not succeed within a certain time I might be better off doing the database part with another language providing a HTTP interface which I can access from pharo.

Norbert