Other format to Filetree

Vitor Medina Cruz
Hello,

I was wondering: is there another format available for Filetree?

Regards,
Vitor

Re: Other format to Filetree

Martin McClure-2
Vitor Medina Cruz wrote:

> I was wondering: is there another format available for Filetree?

Hi Vitor,

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for.

The current package formats in Pharo are, as you probably know, Filetree
and MCZ (Monticello archives). I find Filetree easier to use, managing
source code in Git.

From Filetree was developed Cypress, which is very similar, and intended
to be compatible across different Smalltalk dialects.

I'm working on a second version of the Cypress standard, which will have
two basic formats: file-per-method, similar to the current Cypress, and
a file-per-class format. The two formats will be logically equivalent,
but each has strengths and weaknesses regarding the tools they work with.

I hope this answers some of what you were looking for. Further questions
are welcome.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Other format to Filetree

kilon.alios
Do you have something specific in your mind ?

What are your needs and desires for an alternate Filetree format ? What you want to see changed in Filetreee ?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 7:02 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering: is there another format available for Filetree?

Regards,
Vitor

Re: Other format to Filetree

Vitor Medina Cruz
Thank you for the answers! Actually my question has a rather silly reason: I find it difficult to navigate and peek at code in the current format. I would like to show ST code to other people through GitHub — it is pretty common for me to discuss implementations of katas, for example, from multiple platforms only looking at the GitHub project —, but the format get in the way. People usually give up of looking it because it is hard to navigate through the directory tree and understand all the separate pieces as a whole, and so I must explain my solution verbally and people get suspicious of ST and unwilling to try the environment for the first time. :(

I think I am going to commit a fileout of the project, maybe people will find easier to peek at. Do you have other suggestion?

Thanks!
Vitor

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have something specific in your mind ?

What are your needs and desires for an alternate Filetree format ? What you want to see changed in Filetreee ?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 7:02 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering: is there another format available for Filetree?

Regards,
Vitor

Re: Other format to Filetree

Martin McClure-2
On 10/21/2016 05:51 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz wrote:

> Thank you for the answers! Actually my question has a rather silly
> reason: I find it difficult to navigate and peek at code in the current
> format. I would like to show ST code to other people through GitHub — it
> is pretty common for me to discuss implementations of katas, for
> example, from multiple platforms only looking at the GitHub project —,
> but the format get in the way. People usually give up of looking it
> because it is hard to navigate through the directory tree and understand
> all the separate pieces as a whole, and so I must explain my solution
> verbally and people get suspicious of ST and unwilling to try the
> environment for the first time. :(

This is exactly the kind of thing that the file-per-class format is
aimed at. It will be closer to what non-ST people are used to, and tools
like the ones GitHub offers will work better when files contain more.
But it's not available yet. I'm working towards it, though.

> I think I am going to commit a fileout of the project, maybe people will
> find easier to peek at. Do you have other suggestion?

That may be easier for now. Good luck getting them to look at it!
Spreading Smalltalk is good.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Other format to Filetree

Charlie Robbats
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Other format to Filetree

kilon.alios
Yeah I agree the format is unreadable for github users .The reason is like that is that it makes merges more fine grained. Indeed a fileout will give you what you want. You can also use gist which will make it easier for them to view and you won't have to version control it.

The playground also has a way of posting snippets online.

Downloading and using Pharo is an alternative. You can distribute your project via Catalog Browser which will make it a one click install, the it's just a matter of using the browse message. Or you can make a small piece of Smalltalk code that installs and opens the browser to the class and method you want to show.

You could even hack the profstef tutorial for a small demonstration .

Re: Other format to Filetree

Dale Henrichs-3

This is a good suggestion ... along these lines I've always thought that it would make a lot of sense to write a SmalltalkBrowser for Github in Amber of PHaroJS that would read Filetree package structure and display it the "right way" ... For extra credit one could even edit code in the browser:)

And of course, the SmalltalkBrowser shouldn't be limited to just GitHub ...

I wish that I had the spare cycles to do this:)

Dale

On 10/21/16 6:06 PM, Charlie Robbats wrote:

I'd like to suggest you teach people Smalltalk natively, so they don't get distracted by the false view of a filetree of classes. One huge differentiator of Smalltalk, from any other language out there,  is the live object environment. You should use that environment to teach from or the nuance will be lost and they may well give up. Consider, is there any Java IDE that allows any expression anywhere to be evaluated and inspected with a mouse click or shortcut? So host your mcz on github but provide an install doc to have them install Pharo and load your code, for the lessons. They will look at Smalltalk code naturally in Pharo browsers and be exposed to an IDE they have never before experienced, as well. In the process you can webinar your navigations that they can follow along. Nebraska around? Those who consider it worthy will stay. Keep doing what you are doing!

Charlie

On 10/21/2016 8:51 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the answers!

Charlie: It happens that most people are not willing to download the environment, no matter how many times you tell and explain that it is dead simple, before look at some code and discuss solutions, so this becomes a barrier for them to look further in the Smalltalk world.This is not exclusive for Smalltalk, I am in a discussion group that people program in Java, Scala, Go, Clojure and Ruby, and no one wants to set up an environment of a foreign language before peeking at some code.

Dimitris: I like your idea, I will think in something in these lines if fileout don't work.

Dale: Wow! A SmalltalkBrowser in web for Filetree would be awesome! In the mean time I think file-per-class, as described Martin, would just do the trick. :)

If fileout do the trick I will let you know :)

Thanks you all!
Vitor

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

if we are talking a code fragment , say a few dozen lines of code then do the following:

1)  Open the Playground
2) Type : Transcript open. Transcript show: 'hello world'.
3) Press the Remote publish button ( next to green triangle icon)
4) will give you a link and will paste the link to your keyboard
5) profit !

in my case

If you feel adventurous and you want to send the source code of a class directly to the playground , including all its instance and class methods , in order to remotely publish it , you can make a method that does this using this code

source :=''.
targetClass:= Transcript.
source := source,String cr,'"--------Instance Methods------------"',String cr.
targetClass class methods do: [:each| source :=  source , (each sourceCode), String cr,'"-----------------------------"', String cr].
source := source,String cr,'"--------Class Methods------------"',String cr.
targetClass class class methods do: [:each| source :=  source , (each sourceCode), String cr,'"-----------------------------"', String cr].
x:= GTPlayground openContents: source.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 5:19 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

and if you want to copy the text to the clipboard so you can paste it anywhere, for example gist, pastebin etc add the following command in the end of the script i gave you

Clipboard clipboardText: source.