Other question about Roassal

MathieuDehouck
Hi

I was wondering how to give different senses to different edges, so have
a look at edgeDrivenLayout and subclasses.
It seems that there are 2 sets of edges ( edges and userDifinedEdges )
and then we face a problem:

- How do we do if we want to represent more than two kinds of edges ?

Is Roassal able to draw dotted line ? (I haven't found it)

Regards

Mathieu

Re: Other question about Roassal

Juraj Kubelka-5
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Other question about Roassal

MathieuDehouck
Hi

Well I know how to set color and width and shape for an Edge, the question was :

if I have five sets of edges, each set representing something different, is it possible to seperate them in the view/layout?

and can I tell these are blue and these are green with this shape without using five blocks like "(view edges sellect: []) do: []" for each set ?

Because it's not that difficult to tell these edges must be used for computing the layout, and these other not, but if you have four different kinds of relationship between  nodes, you may want to have an efficient way for dinstinguishing them.

Regards

Mathieu

Le 14/05/2013 19:40, Juraj Kubelka a écrit :
Hi!

2013/5/14 mathieu <[hidden email]>
Hi

I was wondering how to give different senses to different edges, so have a look at edgeDrivenLayout and subclasses.
It seems that there are 2 sets of edges ( edges and userDifinedEdges ) and then we face a problem:

I do not think it is related to your question. User can set #userDefinedEdges and it defines edges used for computation of layout. Instance variable edges is an internal variable used during the computation of layout.

- How do we do if we want to represent more than two kinds of edges ?

For standard ROLine shape, you can define colour or width. Is it enough?

Is Roassal able to draw dotted line ? (I haven't found it)

No, it is not supported for now.

Regards

Mathieu

Cheers,
Jura

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Other question about Roassal

Tudor Girba-2

I think there is a confusion somewhere.

By default, a layout will consider all edges in the graph. userDefinedEdges is a mechanism to tell the layout to only consider a subset of edges when arranging nodes. For example, in the MetaBrowser the visualization at the bottom shows red edges, but these edges are not taken into account by the layout.

But, it seems to me that you would like to customize the way the edges look. userDefinedEdges have nothing to do with this issue. What you want here is to set a shape for your edges.

So, if you want to set different shapes for different edges, you could do like this:

view nodes: #(1 2 3).
view shape line.
view edgeFromAssociation: 1->2.
view shape arrowedLine.
view edgeFromAssociation: 2->3.
view horizontalLineLayout gapSize: 100

About dotted line, this is not yet supported, but you can add it as a subclass of ROLine.

Does this clarify the situation?

Cheers,
Doru

On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was wondering how to give different senses to different edges, so have a look at edgeDrivenLayout and subclasses.
> It seems that there are 2 sets of edges ( edges and userDifinedEdges ) and then we face a problem:
>
> - How do we do if we want to represent more than two kinds of edges ?
>
> Is Roassal able to draw dotted line ? (I haven't found it)
>
> Regards
>
> Mathieu

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: Other question about Roassal

abergel
Hi Mathieu,

Currently, we cannot do a if:lineColor: (something we should add on some point).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
view nodes: (1 to: 20).

view shape line
        color: [ :edge |
                                (#( 2 3 4) includes: edge from model)
                                                ifTrue: [ Color red. ]
                                                ifFalse: [ Color lightGray ] ].

view edgesToAll: [ :v | {  v + 3 . v + 5 . v *2 } ].
view circleLayout.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

(You need to update Roassal, I've spotted a bug in the meantime, which is fixed in the last version).

For the curious, I have attached the screenshot and the output in html/d3 (nodes are drag and droppable):

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 7.37.29 PM.png (95K) Download Attachment
hola.zip (114K) Download Attachment

Re: Other question about Roassal

abergel
+1

Alexandre

On May 14, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there is a confusion somewhere.
>
> By default, a layout will consider all edges in the graph. userDefinedEdges is a mechanism to tell the layout to only consider a subset of edges when arranging nodes. For example, in the MetaBrowser the visualization at the bottom shows red edges, but these edges are not taken into account by the layout.
>
> But, it seems to me that you would like to customize the way the edges look. userDefinedEdges have nothing to do with this issue. What you want here is to set a shape for your edges.
>
> So, if you want to set different shapes for different edges, you could do like this:
>
> view nodes: #(1 2 3).
> view shape line.
> view edgeFromAssociation: 1->2.
> view shape arrowedLine.
> view edgeFromAssociation: 2->3.
> view horizontalLineLayout gapSize: 100
>
> About dotted line, this is not yet supported, but you can add it as a subclass of ROLine.
>
> Does this clarify the situation?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I was wondering how to give different senses to different edges, so have a look at edgeDrivenLayout and subclasses.
>> It seems that there are 2 sets of edges ( edges and userDifinedEdges ) and then we face a problem:
>>
>> - How do we do if we want to represent more than two kinds of edges ?
>>
>> Is Roassal able to draw dotted line ? (I haven't found it)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Mathieu

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Other question about Roassal

stephane ducasse

On May 14, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there is a confusion somewhere.
>
> By default, a layout will consider all edges in the graph.

> userDefinedEdges is a mechanism to tell the layout to only consider a subset of edges when arranging nodes. For example, in the MetaBrowser the visualization at the bottom shows red edges, but these edges are not taken into account by the layout.

yes we are doing the same.

We want a layout that convey a knd of zoom out of source code with labels and invocations.

On May 15, 2013, at 9:02 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 14, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think there is a confusion somewhere.
>>
>> By default, a layout will consider all edges in the graph.
>
>> userDefinedEdges is a mechanism to tell the layout to only consider a subset of edges when arranging nodes. For example, in the MetaBrowser the visualization at the bottom shows red edges, but these edges are not taken into account by the layout.
>
> yes we are doing the same.
>
> We want a layout that convey a knd of zoom out of source code with labels and invocations.

I do not understand this one. Could you provide more information?

Cheers,
Doru

>> But, it seems to me that you would like to customize the way the edges look. userDefinedEdges have nothing to do with this issue. What you want here is to set a shape for your edges.
>>
>> So, if you want to set different shapes for different edges, you could do like this:
>>
>> view nodes: #(1 2 3).
>> view shape line.
>> view edgeFromAssociation: 1->2.
>> view shape arrowedLine.
>> view edgeFromAssociation: 2->3.
>> view horizontalLineLayout gapSize: 100
>>
>> About dotted line, this is not yet supported, but you can add it as a subclass of ROLine.
>>
>> Does this clarify the situation?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On May 14, 2013, at 6:58 PM, mathieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was wondering how to give different senses to different edges, so have a look at edgeDrivenLayout and subclasses.
>>> It seems that there are 2 sets of edges ( edges and userDifinedEdges ) and then we face a problem:
>>>
>>> - How do we do if we want to represent more than two kinds of edges ?
>>>
>>> Is Roassal able to draw dotted line ? (I haven't found it)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Mathieu
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Presenting is storytelling."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Innovation comes in the least expected form.
That is, if it is expected, it already happened."

Re: Other question about Roassal

stephane ducasse
Imagine a large file with several procedures
we would like to represent

proc1

proc2

proc3

in one or multiple columns
and edges between each of them calling the others.

So that we can propose to people a kind of feel of the calling flow.

Stef