Out putting pdf files

Theo Pronk
Hi,
I've seen something about out putting an adobe type pdf file before (a
long time ago) and believe that the response was negative, at the time.
Does anyone know if this is now possible withing Dolthin Smalltalk?

Note: I believe I can fake it by creating a txt file with some html like
tags and pass the txt file through a converter. Did this a few years ago
on an AS/400. But, I would prefer to use Smalltalk directly without
using the converter (the converter is a freeware program).

Thanks,
Theo

Re: Out putting pdf files

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Theo,

> Note: I believe I can fake it by creating a txt file with some html like
> tags and pass the txt file through a converter. Did this a few years ago
> on an AS/400. But, I would prefer to use Smalltalk directly without
> using the converter (the converter is a freeware program).

Another version of the same idea is to use MikTeX to generate a dvi file
from LaTeX source, and then use dvipdfm.exe to convert a DVI file to a
PDF document.  Or, is LaTeX the origin of your "HTML-like tags"? :)

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Out putting pdf files

Chris Uppal-3
Theo Pronk wrote:

> I've seen something about out putting an adobe type pdf file before (a
> long time ago) and believe that the response was negative, at the time.
> Does anyone know if this is now possible withing Dolthin Smalltalk?

[ this is a direct quote from a post of mine from 2002 ! ]

Some years ago Jerry Bell did a port of SPDF to Dolphin; SPDF is a
(apparently) rather complete PDF writer.  I don't know if he's done any
further work on it, or has it available anywhere on the web.  I still have a
copy (that I've done nothing with except to verify that it still passes its
self-tests on Dolphin5), so drop me a line if you'd like a copy.

[ end quote ]

Or, you could use one of the PDF "printer"-drivers (I think there's at least
one freeware one, and others that are cheap) and drive it with GDI.  That's
probably not what you are looking for, but you never know...

    -- chris