Overflow row morph

Gary Chambers-4
Hi all,
I got fed up with the browser button row getting clipped so have developed an "OverflowRowMorph" that
provides a button to popup items that don't fit the current bounds. Not perfect but better than nothing!

The button disappears if there is sufficient space for all the submorphs.

I'll include in the last version of Polymorph when I get around to making a stable release.

Regards, Gary

OverflowRow.png (99K) Download Attachment
OverflowRowPopped.png (115K) Download Attachment

Re: Overflow row morph

Mariano Martinez Peck
That's really COOL Gary!!!

Now I wonder...the "class" button that it is in the right of the "instance" button and the "?"  shouldn't behave in the same way ?

I mean, shouldn't the class button also by displayed in a top down menu ?

Thanks!

Mariano

2010/1/18 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
Hi all,
I got fed up with the browser button row getting clipped so have developed an "OverflowRowMorph" that
provides a button to popup items that don't fit the current bounds. Not perfect but better than nothing!

The button disappears if there is sufficient space for all the submorphs.

I'll include in the last version of Polymorph when I get around to making a stable release.

Regards, Gary

Re: Overflow row morph

Gary Chambers-4
Indeed... can be used for that too. It is quite general.

Regards, Gary

Re: Overflow row morph

Igor Stasenko
Hi, Gary,

how about making a brand-new , next-gen Morphic themable widget set? :)
I started playing with styles. And i got feeling that this is the
right way to do things.
Please, let me know, if you interested, i'll send you my code.

2010/1/18 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
> I got fed up with the browser button row getting clipped so have developed
> an "OverflowRowMorph" that
> provides a button to popup items that don't fit the current bounds. Not
> perfect but better than nothing!
>
> The button disappears if there is sufficient space for all the submorphs.
>
> I'll include in the last version of Polymorph when I get around to making a
> stable release.
> Regards, Gary

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Overflow row morph

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/18 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
Indeed... can be used for that too. It is quite general.

Excellent! I want it !!!  :)

Regards, Gary

Re: Overflow row morph

Gary Chambers-4
Certainly possible... though would be nice to do things properly from
scratch along with
something like a MorphHolderWidget, for example, for compatability...

Regards, Gary

> how about making a brand-new , next-gen Morphic themable widget set? :)
> I started playing with styles. And i got feeling that this is the
> right way to do things.
> Please, let me know, if you interested, i'll send you my code.
>

> 2010/1/18 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all,
>> I got fed up with the browser button row getting clipped so have
>> developed
>> an "OverflowRowMorph" that
>> provides a button to popup items that don't fit the current bounds. Not
>> perfect but better than nothing!
>>
>> The button disappears if there is sufficient space for all the submorphs.
>>
>> I'll include in the last version of Polymorph when I get around to making
>> stable release.
>> Regards, Gary

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Overflow row morph

Gary Chambers-4
With switches done...

Regards, Gary

OverflowRowSwitches.png (82K) Download Attachment

Re: Overflow row morph

Igor Stasenko
2010/1/18 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:
> Certainly possible... though would be nice to do things properly from
> scratch along with
> something like a MorphHolderWidget, for example, for compatability...

It is from scratch (mostly).
Currently , i using only a single base class - Morph.
But i reserved the hollow class , named SMorph, which could be used as
a base & complete replacement of Morph.
Not sure its wise though, since too many crap in image still relying
on (foo isKindOf: Morph )

I'll send you a code & idea description later today.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Overflow row morph

Tudor Girba
Hi Gary,

This is really cool. It would be great to use this for overflowing
tabs as well. Is it already possible?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jan 2010, at 16:54, Gary Chambers wrote:

> With switches done...
>
> Regards, Gary

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: Overflow row morph

Gary Chambers-4
A little more work for tabs, aligning the borders to match perhaps, but
certainly feasible without too much grief, I think.

Regards, Gary

> This is really cool. It would be great to use this for overflowing
> tabs as well. Is it already possible?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 Jan 2010, at 16:54, Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> With switches done...
>>
>> Regards, Gary

Though there is another (scrolling area with left/right button when
needed)...

Regards, Gary

>A little more work for tabs, aligning the borders to match perhaps, but
> certainly feasible without too much grief, I think.
>
> Regards, Gary

I am not sure I understand.

Are you saying that the mechanism already exists for tabs? If yes,
what exactly should I do to get it. By simply adding pages to the
TabGroupMorph it looks like in the attachment.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jan 2010, at 17:18, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Though there is another (scrolling area with left/right button when
> needed)...
>
> Regards, Gary

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

tabsoverflow.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Overflow row morph

Gary Chambers-4
No, doesn't yet exist. Just that it is likely to be a bit fiddly, perhaps,
to match up the border etc. for the selected tab. More optimistically, it
might be easy though! Will have to suck-it-and-see, I guess.

Regards, Gary