P2P library in Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

is there a library for doing P2P in Smalltalk?

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Marcus Denker-4

On Oct 13, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> is there a library for doing P2P in Smalltalk?

Peer to Peer in which sense?

Data transfer?

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse
> Hi guys
>>
>> is there a library for doing P2P in Smalltalk?
>>

> Peer to Peer in which sense?
>
> Data transfer?

Yes
It would be fun to see if we could replicate all the mcz files we all have in our caches.

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Stéf,

P2P is what my team did in the UbiquiTalk project (2005-2009) :-)

-Pairs discover each other dynamically. No prior config/IP setup is required, but you need to be connected to the same network that allows multi-casting in

-Each pair can provide 0 or more services available. A service is a piece of code. A service has 2 parts : one that runs on the provider (can be empty) and one that runs on the requestor.

-Another pair can decide to use a service provided by another one => it downloads and installs the requestor part of the service and run it. Then it does what ever it is made for.

The project is currently stalled. All the code is on SqueakSource though I believe it won't run out of the box on Pharo 1.2/1.3 (too many connections to morphic). The design needs many improvements and there are some bugs (including one problematic due to rST). Still, we made several demos with it including critical ones (with many CEOs and CTOs as an audience). We had UbiquiTalk running on PDA with pocket windows...

Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

On 13 oct. 2011, at 16:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> is there a library for doing P2P in Smalltalk?
>>>

>> Peer to Peer in which sense?
>>
>> Data transfer?
>
> Yes
> It would be fun to see if we could replicate all the mcz files we all have in our caches.

Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok you will have to show me that again and that we remove some dust.
Did you implement some distributed hash maps?

Stef

> Stéf,
>
> P2P is what my team did in the UbiquiTalk project (2005-2009) :-)
>
> -Pairs discover each other dynamically. No prior config/IP setup is required, but you need to be connected to the same network that allows multi-casting in
>
> -Each pair can provide 0 or more services available. A service is a piece of code. A service has 2 parts : one that runs on the provider (can be empty) and one that runs on the requestor.
>
> -Another pair can decide to use a service provided by another one => it downloads and installs the requestor part of the service and run it. Then it does what ever it is made for.
>
> The project is currently stalled. All the code is on SqueakSource though I believe it won't run out of the box on Pharo 1.2/1.3 (too many connections to morphic). The design needs many improvements and there are some bugs (including one problematic due to rST). Still, we made several demos with it including critical ones (with many CEOs and CTOs as an audience). We had UbiquiTalk running on PDA with pocket windows...
>
> Noury
> --
> http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi
>

> On 13 oct. 2011, at 16:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>>> Hi guys

>>> Peer to Peer in which sense?
>>>
>>> Data transfer?
>>
>> Yes
>> It would be fun to see if we could replicate all the mcz files we all have in our caches.
>>

> Noury
> --
> http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Göran Krampe
Cees de Groot also implemented a P2P library a while back:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5629

regards, Göran

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse
Do you know where the code is?

Stef

On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Cees de Groot also implemented a P2P library a while back:
>

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5629
>
> regards, Göran

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

found it in DVG

Stef

On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Cees de Groot also implemented a P2P library a while back:
>

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5629
>
> regards, Göran

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Johannes Rasche
Stef,

can you please explain what DVG is ?

Johannes

Am 14.10.2011 um 10:30 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

> found it in DVG
>
> Stef
>
> On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:
>
>> Cees de Groot also implemented a P2P library a while back:
>>

>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5629
>>
>> regards, Göran

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 14, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Johannes Rasche wrote:

> Stef,
>
> can you please explain what DVG is ?

project on squeaksource.
I did not try to load it to pharo.

> Johannes
>
> Am 14.10.2011 um 10:30 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
>
>> found it in DVG
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:
>>
>>> Cees de Groot also implemented a P2P library a while back:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5629
>>>
>>> regards, Göran

Re: P2P library in Smalltalk

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:32:44PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Johannes Rasche wrote:
>
> > Stef,
> >
> > can you please explain what DVG is ?
>
> project on squeaksource.
> I did not try to load it to pharo.

I think it is this:

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/DGV'
        user: ''
        password: ''

But the project name is 'Digital Society for the Past' so it is
not too obvious how to find it unless you understand the Dutch
Digitaal Genootschap voor het Verleden ;)

Dave