PBE, System Browser, OmniBrowser2

Sébastien Bigaret

    Hi all,

I've just beginning to learn Smalltalk & Pharo for some hours, and I already
have some questions.

At the very beginning, differences can be noticed between the browser exposed
in PBE and the one exposed in Pharo v1.2.2.

I've seen Marcus' answer to a similar question here:
  http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-users/2011-August/002699.html

and while "it works" (tm) I prefer starting my journey with the latest
stable version of Pharo, esp. if as said, a *lot* of things have been
changed and improved; I start experimenting stuff of my own while
reading tutorials and PBE in particular.

So I have two questions.

1. Creating a package and putting categories in it

  I've not seen anything about 'packages' within the OBSystemBrowser.
  What I've done is
  - open the Monticello Browser
  - create the package PBE-LightsOut there
  - back in the system browser, create the category 'PBE-LightsOut'

  and the category PBE-LightsOut is automatically assigned to the
  correct package (same goes for any categories whose names start with
  'PBE-LightsOut')

  As far as I understand "Versioning your code with Monticello" (PBE v2
  / drafts) this is the correct way of doing it, however I'd be grateful
  if someone could confirm... or correct me.

2. Trying to install OmniBrowser2

  Just by curiosity, I tried to install OmniBrowser2 in Pharo v1.2.2.

  Using the halo I inspect it on PBE.image and found out that it was a
  SystemWindow using model: O2SystemBrowser within category
  'O2-Enhancements-PackageBrower'.

  I eventually found out that it could be found at squeaksource, so I followed the instructions at:
    http://www.squeaksource.com/@9DGVYh5n2jIJBj2R/bHwV8FLI

  Alas, after doing it, this somehow breaks things:
  - the O2 can't be opened, exception:
  - even the

  What did I miss? Is there a missing dependency not handled by
  monticello? Or is there a serious incompatibility w/ pharo v1.2.2?

  NB: this is just out of curiousity, I do not *need* it, the only
      reason why I'm trying such a thing then asking for an explanation
      when it fails is that it helps me understand things better.
      However I have the feeling that it's too early for me to ask such
      things, so do not hesitate to simply answer to come back after
      having read the appropriate documents!

  A last question (related to the previsou one about O2):

    When inspecting morphs in PBE.image we get a SystemWindow w/ model:
    an O2PackageBrowser, which shows image thumbnails next to the morph,
    submorphs etc.  If it is possible to install O2 on Pharo v1.2.2,
    will we get it as well?  (this was my initial motivation for trying
    to install O2).

Thanks in advance for any answer!

BTW: since I will read the entire PBE, is it worth that I collect and
document the differences on the fly and share it here?

__ Sébastien.

Re: PBE, System Browser, OmniBrowser2

Sébastien Bigaret
Sorry, I forgot some elements, here they are:

Le 04/08/2011 10:28, Sebastien Bigaret a écrit :
[...]
>   I eventually found out that it could be found at squeaksource, so I followed the instructions at:
>     http://www.squeaksource.com/@9DGVYh5n2jIJBj2R/bHwV8FLI
>
>   Alas, after doing it, this somehow breaks things:
>   - the O2 can't be opened, exception:
>   - even the
>
>   What did I miss? Is there a missing dependency not handled by
>   monticello? Or is there a serious incompatibility w/ pharo v1.2.2?
[...]

Alas, after doing it, this somehow breaks things:

   the O2 can't be opened, exception: Message not understood:
   Preferences class>>syntaxHighlightingAsYouType

UPDATE: I've changed O2PluggableTextMorphWithShout>>okToStyle so that the line
saying:

  Preferences syntaxHighlightingAsYouType ifFalse: [^false].

becomes:

  (Preferences respondsTo: #syntaxHighlightingAsYouType)
    ifTrue: [Preferences syntaxHighlightingAsYouType ifFalse: [^false]].

and I thought it was ok but then, I keep getting windows showing "***System
error handling failed*** on MessageNotUnderstood:
O2TextMorphEditorWithShout>>focused: so it does solve anything.

Hmm, it seems trying to install O2 after just a few hours of Pharo was not a
very good idea and leads me to complications I cannot handle for now!

__ Sébastien.

Re: PBE, System Browser, OmniBrowser2

sebastien

here are my suggestions.
Use the image that is giving with the book but do not try to update. This is an old version.
Once you are familiar with the system, take a 1.3 image with the dev tools loaded for you.

Stef

On Aug 4, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Sebastien Bigaret wrote:

> [...]
>      reason why I'm trying such a thing then asking for an explanation
>      when it fails is that it helps me understand things better.
>      However I have the feeling that it's too early for me to ask such
>      things, so do not hesitate to simply answer to come back after
>      having read the appropriate documents!
>

>  A last question (related to the previsou one about O2):
>
>    When inspecting morphs in PBE.image we get a SystemWindow w/ model:
>    an O2PackageBrowser, which shows image thumbnails next to the morph,
>    submorphs etc.  If it is possible to install O2 on Pharo v1.2.2,
>    will we get it as well?  (this was my initial motivation for trying
>    to install O2).
>

> Thanks in advance for any answer!
>
> BTW: since I will read the entire PBE, is it worth that I collect and
> document the differences on the fly and share it here?

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 4, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Sebastien Bigaret wrote:

> 1. Creating a package and putting categories in it
>
>  I've not seen anything about 'packages' within the OBSystemBrowser.
>  What I've done is
>  - open the Monticello Browser
>  - create the package PBE-LightsOut there
>  - back in the system browser, create the category 'PBE-LightsOut'
>
>  and the category PBE-LightsOut is automatically assigned to the
>  correct package (same goes for any categories whose names start with
>  'PBE-LightsOut')
>
>  As far as I understand "Versioning your code with Monticello" (PBE v2
>  / drafts) this is the correct way of doing it, however I'd be grateful
>  if someone could confirm... or correct me.

The experimental OB browser had direct support for Monticello. The current
Browser(s) do not.

So you need to use the "Monticello Browser" to add packages.

This will change in the future again...

> 2. Trying to install OmniBrowser2

OB2 is not maintained and therefore does not run on newer versions of Pharo.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: PBE, System Browser, OmniBrowser2

Sébastien Bigaret

Thank you Stéphane and Marcus for your answers, it makes things clear.
I'll use PBE.image for PBE and make my own experiments in a separate 1.3.

Just to be sure, a naive question:
> Once you are familiar with the system, take a 1.3 image with the dev tools loaded for you.

Does it mean: download the 1.3 here
   http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
or is there a specific image w/ more dev. tools that I missed?

__ Sébastien.

On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Sebastien Bigaret wrote:

> Thank you Stéphane and Marcus for your answers, it makes things clear.
> I'll use PBE.image for PBE and make my own experiments in a separate 1.3.
>
> Just to be sure, a naive question:
>> Once you are familiar with the system, take a 1.3 image with the dev tools loaded for you.
>
> Does it mean: download the 1.3 here
>   http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
> or is there a specific image w/ more dev. tools that I missed?

We need to do an official release of 1.3 and update the website... this will happen this week.

Until than, it's here:

        https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Pharo%201.3/

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: PBE, System Browser, OmniBrowser2

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Sebastien Bigaret wrote:
>>

>> 1. Creating a package and putting categories in it
>>
>> I've not seen anything about 'packages' within the OBSystemBrowser.
>> What I've done is
>> - open the Monticello Browser
>> - create the package PBE-LightsOut there
>> - back in the system browser, create the category 'PBE-LightsOut'
>>
>> and the category PBE-LightsOut is automatically assigned to the
>> correct package (same goes for any categories whose names start with
>> 'PBE-LightsOut')
>>
>> As far as I understand "Versioning your code with Monticello" (PBE v2
>> / drafts) this is the correct way of doing it, however I'd be grateful
>> if someone could confirm... or correct me.
>
> The experimental OB browser had direct support for Monticello. The current
> Browser(s) do not.
>
> So you need to use the "Monticello Browser" to add packages.
>
> This will change in the future again...

Nautilus will :)

Ben