PBE.image

bblochl
I run Pharo on Linux and tried to start Pharo with the PBE.image, that
is offered as an add on to the Pharo by example book. I copied PBE.image
and PBE.change to Pharo-1.2.1-OneClick.app/Contents/Resources/ (where
pharo.image and pharo.change reside as well) and changed the last line
in pharo.sh from
"$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"
"$ROOT/Contents/Resources/PBE.image"

When I start the shell-script nothing happens. What is wrong with my
experiment. With pharo.image pharo starts properly.

I tried to change the setting in pharo.ini from pharo.image to PBE.image
as well. No success!

What is wrong?

Regards B Blochl

Re: PBE.image

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi. There was a change in the last years in Pharo and we have a new VM called CogVM which is the default since Pharo 1.1.1. So, Pharo 1.2.1 one click may probbaly be using a CogVM.
CogVM cannot open "old" Pharo images. I guess, that PBE.image is an "old" Pharo image, say 1.0, and hence, cannot be opened with a CogVM.

So....you should try a non-cog VM. For example, you can try the same you did but with http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27303/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.zip

Or...ask if someone can recreate a new PBE.image cog compatible.

Good luck.

Mariano

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: PBE.image

LogiqueWerks
Would someone please create that PBE image.

Many young innovators think Smalltalk has NOT been used for years -
and they have inexpensive Linux netbooks with enough RAM and SSD
capacity - everything we lacked when Smalltalk was a choice versus C++
... and then versus Java.

I meet international MA students in CS here and recent BA grads (many
are international students going home now) who really think Smalltalk
was some research experiment at Microsoft or Apple ... and certainly
never used by a bank or an insurance company or a natural gas trader
or grain futures trader and definitely not by a telco.

They are unaware of the connection of Ruby to ST let alone JavaScript
to Self and if they have heard of Traits, they were invented in Scala
not Self ... they have never heard of Alan Kay or Dan and the young
women have never heard of Adele  G.

On 16 June 2011 07:51, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. There was a change in the last years in Pharo and we have a new VM
> called CogVM which is the default since Pharo 1.1.1. So, Pharo 1.2.1 one
> click may probbaly be using a CogVM.
> CogVM cannot open "old" Pharo images. I guess, that PBE.image is an "old"
> Pharo image, say 1.0, and hence, cannot be opened with a CogVM.
>
> So....you should try a non-cog VM. For example, you can try the same you did
> but with
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27303/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.zip
>
> Or...ask if someone can recreate a new PBE.image cog compatible.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Mariano
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM, bb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I run Pharo on Linux and tried to start Pharo with the PBE.image, that
>> is offered as an add on to the Pharo by example book. I copied PBE.image
>> and PBE.change to Pharo-1.2.1-OneClick.app/Contents/Resources/ (where
>> pharo.image and pharo.change reside as well) and changed the last line
>> in pharo.sh from
>> "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"
>> "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/PBE.image"
>>
>> When I start the shell-script nothing happens. What is wrong with my
>> experiment. With pharo.image pharo starts properly.
>>
>> I tried to change the setting in pharo.ini from pharo.image to PBE.image
>> as well. No success!
>>
>> What is wrong?
>>
>> Regards B Blochl
>>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: PBE.image

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi. There was a change in the last years in Pharo and we have a new VM called CogVM which is the default since Pharo 1.1.1. So, Pharo 1.2.1 one click may probbaly be using a CogVM.
> CogVM cannot open "old" Pharo images. I guess, that PBE.image is an "old" Pharo image, say 1.0, and hence, cannot be opened with a CogVM.
>
> So....you should try a non-cog VM. For example, you can try the same you did but with http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27303/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.zip
>
> Or...ask if someone can recreate a new PBE.image cog compatible.

This is not possible as it is based on 1.0, and 1.0 is not compatible to Cog.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: PBE.image

LogiqueWerks
Marcus

But there will be a 1.3  PBE  image ?

Robert

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Robert Shiplett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Marcus

But there will be a 1.3  PBE  image ?

No. There is man power to do that. All screenshots for example of PBE were done with the system browse O2 which doesn't even work now in Pharo 1.3. In addition, examples, and code of the book have changed/removed in Pharo 1.3. So, no.
It is easy. If you want PBE image, then use the correct VM for it.

Now, PBE 2 book is around the corner. Hopefully this book is based on new versions of Pharo and PBE2 image will be probably be cog compatible.

Cheers

Robert

On 16 June 2011 09:54, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi. There was a change in the last years in Pharo and we have a new VM called CogVM which is the default since Pharo 1.1.1. So, Pharo 1.2.1 one click may probbaly be using a CogVM.
>> CogVM cannot open "old" Pharo images. I guess, that PBE.image is an "old" Pharo image, say 1.0, and hence, cannot be opened with a CogVM.
>>
>> So....you should try a non-cog VM. For example, you can try the same you did but with http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27303/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.zip
>>
>> Or...ask if someone can recreate a new PBE.image cog compatible.
>>

> This is not possible as it is based on 1.0, and 1.0 is not compatible to Cog.
>
>        Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: PBE.image

Hi BB

is the one click image of Pharo by example not working on linux?
If i does use this is one.
Why because PBE is working on 1.0 and does not have the changes to run Cog.

Stef

On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:31 PM, bb wrote:

> I run Pharo on Linux and tried to start Pharo with the PBE.image, that
> is offered as an add on to the Pharo by example book. I copied PBE.image
> and PBE.change to Pharo-1.2.1-OneClick.app/Contents/Resources/ (where
> pharo.image and pharo.change reside as well) and changed the last line
> in pharo.sh from
> "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"
> "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/PBE.image"
>
> When I start the shell-script nothing happens. What is wrong with my
> experiment. With pharo.image pharo starts properly.
>
> I tried to change the setting in pharo.ini from pharo.image to PBE.image
> as well. No success!
>
> What is wrong?
>
> Regards B Blochl

Re: PBE.image

On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Robert Shiplett wrote:

> Would someone please create that PBE image.
>
> Many young innovators think Smalltalk has NOT been used for years -
> and they have inexpensive Linux netbooks with enough RAM and SSD
> capacity - everything we lacked when Smalltalk was a choice versus C++
> ... and then versus Java.
>
> I meet international MA students in CS here and recent BA grads (many
> are international students going home now) who really think Smalltalk
> was some research experiment at Microsoft or Apple ... and certainly
> never used by a bank or an insurance company or a natural gas trader
> or grain futures trader and definitely not by a telco.
>
> They are unaware of the connection of Ruby to ST let alone JavaScript
> to Self and if they have heard of Traits, they were invented in Scala
> not Self ... they have never heard of Alan Kay or Dan and the young
> women have never heard of Adele  G.

yes some people think that god invented earth. So what can we do?
Blog and twitting more and having more pharo presentations.
But we are doing that so may be others should do it too.

Re: PBE.image

On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:16 PM, Robert Shiplett wrote:

> Marcus
>
> But there will be a 1.3  PBE  image ?

No
why? because we cannot redo all the screenshots and we cannot rewrite 40% of the book.
Except if somebody is really commited and do it.

PBE is for learning the basics.

Stef

> Robert
>

> On 16 June 2011 09:54, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. There was a change in the last years in Pharo and we have a new VM called CogVM which is the default since Pharo 1.1.1. So, Pharo 1.2.1 one click may probbaly be using a CogVM.
>>> CogVM cannot open "old" Pharo images. I guess, that PBE.image is an "old" Pharo image, say 1.0, and hence, cannot be opened with a CogVM.
>>>
>>> So....you should try a non-cog VM. For example, you can try the same you did but with http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27303/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.zip
>>>
>>> Or...ask if someone can recreate a new PBE.image cog compatible.
>>>

>> This is not possible as it is based on 1.0, and 1.0 is not compatible to Cog.
>>
>>        Marcus
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: PBE.image

Offray

Hi BB,

I can confirm what Mariano says. I used the non Cog VM making something
similar to what you do (putting the PBE image in resources, changing the
script) and it works. Just be sure of _not_ using the Cog VM with the
PBE image.

Cheers,

Offray