PBE2?

Uko2
Hi everyone,

as far as I understand PBE2 is actually deep into pharo. Maybe we should update PBE because when someone new starts to work with pharo I usually suggest him to read PBE. Pharo 3 will have a lot of new cool features, and people have to work with 1.1.
What do you think?

Cheers!
Uko

Re: PBE2?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Sep 18, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> as far as I understand PBE2 is actually deep into pharo. Maybe we should update PBE because when someone new starts to work with pharo I usually suggest him to read PBE. Pharo 3 will have a lot of new cool features, and people have to work with 1.1.
> What do you think?

yes but this is a lot of work.

> Cheers!
> Uko

Re: PBE2?

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What do you think?

I agree. We need someone to take the lead and distribute the work. Do
you volunteer?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: PBE2?

Uko2

On 18 вер. 2013, at 17:54, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> as far as I understand PBE2 is actually deep into pharo. Maybe we should update PBE because when someone new starts to work with pharo I usually suggest him to read PBE. Pharo 3 will have a lot of new cool features, and people have to work with 1.1.
>> What do you think?
>
> yes but this is a lot of work.
Maybe we can try :). I think that this is an important book, because it's meant to be a starting point, and we want to have more people.

>> Cheers!
>> Uko

Re: PBE2?

Uko2

On 18 вер. 2013, at 17:57, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What do you think?
>

> I agree. We need someone to take the lead and distribute the work. Do
> you volunteer?
I'm thinking about starting doing that myself, and if I'll manage to review a couple of paragraphs each day I can say that I can take a lead :).

Do you think that moving PBE to pier will be too hard?

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: PBE2?

Stéphane Ducasse

>>> What do you think?
>>

>> I agree. We need someone to take the lead and distribute the work. Do
>> you volunteer?
> I'm thinking about starting doing that myself, and if I'll manage to review a couple of paragraphs each day I can say that I can take a lead :).
>
> Do you think that moving PBE to pier will be too hard?

No we should just simplify when something is not working at the latex level.
So indeed it would be cool to migrate the book using the pier syntax like that we will get a new one
in pdf, latex and more.

We can set up a new jenkins script, git hub repo and get started.

Stef

>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

Re: PBE2?

Uko2

On 18 вер. 2013, at 18:17, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I agree. We need someone to take the lead and distribute the work. Do
>>> you volunteer?
>> I'm thinking about starting doing that myself, and if I'll manage to review a couple of paragraphs each day I can say that I can take a lead :).
>>
>> Do you think that moving PBE to pier will be too hard?
>
> No we should just simplify when something is not working at the latex level.
> So indeed it would be cool to migrate the book using the pier syntax like that we will get a new one
> in pdf, latex and more.
>
> We can set up a new jenkins script, git hub repo and get started.
Would be nice.

> Stef
>>

>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: PBE2?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Yuri

I created a new repository on github
        UpdatedPharoByExample

and I will copy the necessary file from PharoForTheEntreprise and you can get started.

We will set up a new jenkins job. Now we should also pay attention that a new look should get out and
we should sync with the guys there.

Re: PBE2?

BTW may before starting the first actions would be integrate
the comments we got from the japanese translators and other little problems that got reported on the sb mailing-list

Stef

On Sep 18, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I'm thinking about starting doing that myself, and if I'll manage to review a couple of paragraphs each day I can say that I can take a lead :).
>>>
>>> Do you think that moving PBE to pier will be too hard?
>>
>> No we should just simplify when something is not working at the latex level.
>> So indeed it would be cool to migrate the book using the pier syntax like that we will get a new one
>> in pdf, latex and more.
>>
>> We can set up a new jenkins script, git hub repo and get started.
> Would be nice.
>

>> Stef

Re: PBE2?

Yuri before starting (I started to port the SUnit chapter)
I think that we should decide how we extend pier to support
        \url
        \cite

I proposed something like ##cite| ## or ##index| ##

because we should not lose all the nice work done for PBE

I will talk to damien when I see him.

Stef

>>> I'm thinking about starting doing that myself, and if I'll manage to review a couple of paragraphs each day I can say that I can take a lead :).
>>>
>>> Do you think that moving PBE to pier will be too hard?
>>
>> No we should just simplify when something is not working at the latex level.
>> So indeed it would be cool to migrate the book using the pier syntax like that we will get a new one
>> in pdf, latex and more.
>>
>> We can set up a new jenkins script, git hub repo and get started.
> Would be nice.
>

>> Stef

Re: PBE2?

Uko2
Ok, thanks Stef!

On 18 вер. 2013, at 21:22, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yuri before starting (I started to port the SUnit chapter)
> I think that we should decide how we extend pier to support
> \url
> \cite
>
> I proposed something like ##cite| ## or ##index| ##
>
> because we should not lose all the nice work done for PBE
>
> I will talk to damien when I see him.
>
> Stef

>>> No we should just simplify when something is not working at the latex level.
>>> So indeed it would be cool to migrate the book using the pier syntax like that we will get a new one
>>> in pdf, latex and more.
>>>
>>> We can set up a new jenkins script, git hub repo and get started.
>> Would be nice.
>>

>>> Stef

Re: [Pharo-dev] PBE2?

SergeStinckwich
Maybe you can setup a new branch on the current repository. This what We have for the french translation.

Envoyé de mon iPhone