PCAI magazine

Lynn McGuire
How come Dolphin is not mentioned at
http://www.pcai.com/pcai/New_Home_Page/ai_info/pcai_smalltalk.html

This is a vertical market magazine for developers of custom software.

Is Dolphin considered an established version of smalltalk ?

I do not want to start a flame war, I just want to know if
people are shipping products based on Dolphin.

Thanks,
Lynn McGuire

Re: PCAI magazine

Peter van Rooijen
Hi Lynn,

It's because the people who made the page haveno idea what they're putting
up there. Most of the information is old (like, current as of 5 years ago),
and a large part of it outdated.

Regards,

Peter van Rooijen

"Lynn McGuire" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> How come Dolphin is not mentioned at
> http://www.pcai.com/pcai/New_Home_Page/ai_info/pcai_smalltalk.html
>
> This is a vertical market magazine for developers of custom software.
>
> Is Dolphin considered an established version of smalltalk ?
>
> I do not want to start a flame war, I just want to know if
> people are shipping products based on Dolphin.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn McGuire

Re: PCAI magazine

Christopher J. Demers
Lynn McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> How come Dolphin is not mentioned at
> http://www.pcai.com/pcai/New_Home_Page/ai_info/pcai_smalltalk.html
> This is a vertical market magazine for developers of custom software.

While the date at the top of that page is fairly recent it looks like it may
have been based on older information.  They refer to ParcPlace Digitalk,
which is now Cincom and has been for some time.

> Is Dolphin considered an established version of smalltalk ?

I consider it to be fairly well established.  It is certainly not the oldest
Smalltalk out there, nor do I suppose that it has a huge market share.  IBM
and Cincom are undoubtedly more established in regard to market share.
However I think that for some applications Dolphin is definitely the
superior tool.  There is a wonderful (established) Dolphin community of
friendly and helpful people, this newsgroup is a testament to that, I have
found this to be a great asset.

I think people are sometimes hesitant to talk about shipping products
developed in Smalltalk because they see Smalltalk as their competitive
advantage. ;)

Chris

Re: PCAI magazine

jWarrior
"Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:98rpem$3amkf$[hidden email]...
[snip]

> I think people are sometimes hesitant to talk about shipping products
> developed in Smalltalk because they see Smalltalk as their competitive
> advantage. ;)

Exactly! This has been my theory for years. Let your competitors
wallow in Java or C++ or VB or whatever the latest silver bullet is.
Meanwhile you have an extensible flexible product that you are
making money with now.

Re: PCAI magazine

Lynn McGuire
BTW, the reason why i was reading the magazine is that
they had a fairly decent article on smalltalk.  I went and
checked out their website while I was looking at the article.
I saw the references to AI languages at
 http://www.primenet.com/pcai/

I just noticed that Object Arts was listed at the end of the
article as a source of smalltalk.  They just need to update
their website.

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: PCAI magazine

pablo digonzelli
I am newbie to Smalltalk.
In fact i develop profesionally with Progress 4GL and Progress database.
Dolphin is great,  and the newsgroup (i am suscript to other newgroup) and
their people are really wonderful.
It is amazing how you can do "also" anything with Dolphin , and if you have
problems there always someone to help.
Which other  another  things do you need to in order to take a established
development tool ?

have a great day
Pablo