PDF4Smalltalk 1.4 release

1 message Options

PDF4Smalltalk 1.4 release

Stéphane Ducasse
Dear all,

Version 1.4 of the PDF library PDF4Smalltalk has been released to the public store (with MIT licence).

The library now supports Smalltalk images (pictures) to be inserted into PDFs.

Any Smalltalk image can be added to a PDF (with masks and alpha transparency).
The attachment is a demo page as a teaser.

The implementation is supposed to be complete in the sense that ALL Smalltalk images should be convertible to PDF. With a drawback: due to missing image compression algorithms (JPEG, JBIG2 and others), not the most space saving representation is used (only Zip compression).

Also, not all images found in PDFs can be converted to Smalltalk images. This is again due to missing image compression filters and, for PDF images with other color spaces than /DeviceRGB and /DeviceGray, due to missing color conversion methods.

The feature is well tested and reasonable efficient. But, of course, there will be bugs I don’t know about. Please, if you see something fishy, tell me and I’ll fix it.

The library works in all VisualWorks versions from 7.10 up (Jenkins tested).
Is there anyone who uses the library with previous versions of VisualWorks?

Happy hacking,
                Christian [hidden email]

P.S. This overdue feature was realized thanks to the encouragement of Bob Nemec, author of Report4PDF, and funding from his employer, the Canadian engineering company HTS.

P.P.S. I am going to move my business more towards PDF and I will try to develop tools and services around PDF. If anybody knows projects interested in PDF related work, I would be glad to hear about it J .

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
03 59 57 78 50
03 59 35 86 16