PDX -- a quick and dirty roundup

Chris Cunnington-4

News (from my perspective):

- Dolphin ST is still alive and available (link below)

- Ken Dickey has a nifty morph control gui kit called Emergence on Cuis that looks Maui-esque (link below)

- Camp Smalltalk Vanisle is intended to go in October even though they have not announced yet

- No Cincom people were here.

- Dale and Paul worked on Metacello. This:

(Installer repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main')

    install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load:  #('Development' 'Welcome' 'RSS-Examples' 'Seaside-Email' 'Seaside-Examples' 'Seaside-Tools-Web' 'WebClient')

will fail in Squeak for the time being until Metacello adds some kind of recognition parameters for Squeak 5.0. It will choke by asking for OmniBrowser.

- Paul is trying to connect to LMDB via BerkeleyDB plugin which he has code for on his Github (links below)

- There are pictures below of the Sat. evening dinner (link below)

- Chris Thorgrimsson is about to release to the VW Store a package called PCAPNG which slices and dices Wireshark data down to the header level and lets you write your own filters. Alexander Bergel is expected to port it to Pharo. I made noises saying I might do bring it to Squeak but likely need to walk back from that position

- I presented about Orange, a wiki I'm working on in Altitude inspired by TinyWiki that uses Xtreams PEG parsing

- Sean presented about Gamour and gt toolkit

- Martin presented about Mist and Fog his Smalltalk implementation that will never know C in any form

- Seth of Instantiations presented about in-Workspace any-language code highlighting

- I finally understood why Richie down in Buenos Aires sounded like he was speaking Mayan when I asked him about the kind of Smalltalk he was using when I saw him present at ESUG in 2011. If I recall correctly, he was using Visual Smalltalk Enterprise which is derived from Digitalk and was bought by Cincom, which made the image unavailable to anybody, but sold the rights to the VM to a company called Seagull, which sells the source code to anybody for $50,000. This made sense only to people who already had the image (i.e. Richie and LabWare) and looked like perversity to anybody else. You see why I didn't (and probably still don't) understand.

- There is a company in Delaware called LabWare. They like Smalltalk. They have the above mentioned VM which a woman I met here (I think her name is Diane) has been upgrading by adding UTF8 and such. Their VM developer team was here at PDX (Boris, Andreas, Diane and Dave) and they are designing a VM from scratch. They tell me they will open source it. This was followed by the irritating news that they don't have any idea when they will even start a blog on the topic. It's sounds fascinating, so here's hoping they do.

- James Foster presented a Gemstone to SQL database at ESUG that uses PetitParser and showed it here at PDX

- The CSS and JavaScript libraries of the week mentioned at PDX included AngularJS, FlexBox, Google Materials, Angular Materials, Polymer, Ember and React

- Some young programers are working on a new Smalltalk from an 80s paper by Wirfs-Brock called ModTalk (link below). It's modular and I don't think it has #become:

- I learned more about #become: from a patient Martin by showing him code in VMMaker. The struggle is ongoing.

That's the broad strokes for me. I imagine other people had different impressions.

Chris

https://github.com/dalehenrich

https://github.com/pdebruic?tab=repositories

https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-BabySteps

http://symas.com/mdb/

http://object-arts.com/

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOo-uf19ceGHiRRa6Qv_GyU4hDfPVVuwIFhKku93QTydzbnWCOUeDmeanKGrWtPJQ?key=dzFVLTJvN19iSTZrYWRXNE82Y3Z5Slk4bWVOWTdn

http://www.modtalk.org

Re: PDX -- a quick and dirty roundup

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Chris Cunnington-4 wrote
I imagine other people had different impressions.
Great summary!

No matter how many Smalltalk conferences I attend, I am still struck by the spirit of cooperation and giving. All the apparent boundaries disappear - geographical, dialectical. Even the vendors and large commercial users sponsor open source events and projects because they seem to feel, as I do, that we are all in this together, and that whatever makes the community stronger, helps us all. And, as always, the social event was magical to an extent totally out of proportion to the community size - we're talking a serious live jazz band here! Thanks, Instantiations :) And, btw, I'm giving them a shout out especially because they sponsored the event in an extremely low key and cool way. It was mentioned in the agenda, but there were no giant corporate banners, mascots, etc. They were just there, part of our community, enjoying a great evening together.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PDX -- a quick and dirty roundup

Ben Coman
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Sean P. DeNigris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Cunnington-4 wrote
>> I imagine other people had different impressions.
>
> Great summary!
>
> No matter how many Smalltalk conferences I attend, I am still struck by the
> spirit of cooperation and giving. All the apparent boundaries disappear -
> geographical, dialectical. Even the vendors and large commercial users
> sponsor open source events and projects because they seem to feel, as I do,
> that we are all in this together, and that whatever makes the community
> stronger, helps us all. And, as always, the social event was magical to an
> extent totally out of proportion to the community size - we're talking a
> serious live jazz band here! Thanks, Instantiations :) And, btw, I'm giving
> them a shout out especially because they sponsored the event in an extremely
> low key and cool way. It was mentioned in the agenda, but there were no
> giant corporate banners, mascots, etc. They were just there, part of our
> community, enjoying a great evening together.

Really nice to hear. There is always the chance that open source
reduces the closed source market resulting in an antagonistic
response, but there is an equal chance that "a rising tide lifts all
boats."  Many open source users would never have paid the commercial
cost and so be lost to the greater Smalltalk community, but later
their need might grow so the commercial cost is a small component and
worthwhile changing over.

cheers -ben