PRFile subclass on Gemstone Pier

dtrussardi@tiscali.it
Hi,

i work with the Gemstone version of Pier 2.0.

I use PRFile to save data into OODB but

        i'm interested to save  some Files directly into directory on the server.

For this i create a subclass of PRFile named PRFileOnDisk.

In this class i define the method:

         isAbstract  ^false

        label:  ^ 'FIle on disk'.

The  fileModel class method return:

        ^ ISTMAExternalFileModel

and the descriptionFile is set to:

        ^ MAFileDescription new
                kind: ISTMAExternalFileModel;
                accessor: #file;
                priority: 300;
                label: 'File on Disk';
                beEditable;
                yourself

The ISTMAExternalFileModel is a subclass of   MAExternalFileModel

and it work fine ( create directory and save data on the server disk )  for other  Magritte description based on MAFileDescription ( with kind set to ISTMAExternalFileModel ).

Now when in Pier i define a link with Type: 'File on disk' (  based on PRFileOnDisk  )

the system create the subdirectory on the server disk but don't save the file on it .

The file is managed how MAMemoryFileModel.

Any  idea about it ?

        Thanks,

                Dario

Re: PRFile subclass on Gemstone Pier

dtrussardi@tiscali.it
Ok,

i work around this problem.

The error is about the descriptionFile method define in the PRFileOnDisk subclass.

When the system create a description it consider the PRfile descriptionFile in all case.

I think when in the  class hierarchy the system found the same descriptionName...   it consider the last definition.

But i wrong ?

        Any considerations ?

        Thanks,

                Dario

> Hi,
>
> i work with the Gemstone version of Pier 2.0.
>
> I use PRFile to save data into OODB but
>
> i'm interested to save  some Files directly into directory on the server.
>

> For this i create a subclass of PRFile named PRFileOnDisk.
>
> In this class i define the method:
>
> isAbstract  ^false
>
> label:  ^ 'FIle on disk'.
>
> The  fileModel class method return:
>
> ^ ISTMAExternalFileModel
>
> and the descriptionFile is set to:
>
> ^ MAFileDescription new
> kind: ISTMAExternalFileModel;
> accessor: #file;
> priority: 300;
> label: 'File on Disk';
> beEditable;
> yourself
>

> The ISTMAExternalFileModel is a subclass of   MAExternalFileModel
>
> and it work fine ( create directory and save data on the server disk )  for other  Magritte description based on MAFileDescription ( with kind set to ISTMAExternalFileModel ).
>

> Now when in Pier i define a link with Type: 'File on disk' (  based on PRFileOnDisk  )
>
> the system create the subdirectory on the server disk but don't save the file on it .
>
> The file is managed how MAMemoryFileModel.
>

> Any  idea about it ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dario

Re: PRFile subclass on Gemstone Pier

Dale Henrichs
Dario,

If I understand, you were able to fix your problem?

I did notice that the #fileModel method on the class-side of PRFile does
a detect on a SortedCollection ... so the first description matching the
  #descriptionFile is taken ... presumably there is a priority field in
the description that can force a description to be considered first?

Dale

[hidden email] wrote:

> Ok,
>
> i work around this problem.
>
> The error is about the descriptionFile method define in the PRFileOnDisk subclass.
>
> When the system create a description it consider the PRfile descriptionFile in all case.
>
> I think when in the  class hierarchy the system found the same descriptionName...   it consider the last definition.
>
> But i wrong ?
>
> Any considerations ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dario
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> i work with the Gemstone version of Pier 2.0.
>>
>> I use PRFile to save data into OODB but
>>
>> i'm interested to save  some Files directly into directory on the server.
>>

>> For this i create a subclass of PRFile named PRFileOnDisk.
>>
>> In this class i define the method:
>>
>> isAbstract  ^false
>>
>> label:  ^ 'FIle on disk'.
>>
>> The  fileModel class method return:
>>
>> ^ ISTMAExternalFileModel
>>
>> and the descriptionFile is set to:
>>
>> ^ MAFileDescription new
>> kind: ISTMAExternalFileModel;
>> accessor: #file;
>> priority: 300;
>> label: 'File on Disk';
>> beEditable;
>> yourself
>>

>> The ISTMAExternalFileModel is a subclass of   MAExternalFileModel
>>
>> and it work fine ( create directory and save data on the server disk )  for other  Magritte description based on MAFileDescription ( with kind set to ISTMAExternalFileModel ).
>>

>> Now when in Pier i define a link with Type: 'File on disk' (  based on PRFileOnDisk  )
>>
>> the system create the subdirectory on the server disk but don't save the file on it .
>>
>> The file is managed how MAMemoryFileModel.
>>

>> Any  idea about it ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dario

Re: PRFile subclass on Gemstone Pier

dtrussardi@tiscali.it

i solve the PRFileOnServerDisk subclass definition for save some files directly into directory on the server.

The only method i need to port from superclass ( PRFile ) is the class method descriptionFileGemStone: aDescription

descriptionFileGemStone: aDescription

        ^ aDescription
                kind: ISTMAExternalFileModel;
                yourself

With this definition when MABuilder create the descriptions cache for the PRFileOnServerDisk

        the descriptionFile is update by descriptionFileGemStone: aDescription   specifications

        and all work fine.

The question about the selection of descriptions with the same name in  class hierarchy is open.

Any considerations about it ?

  Thank,

                Dario