Package Browser 3

Hans Schueren

Just one thing for description of the hardcopy :

Yes ;  a browser inside the system is much better.

The only reason to make a hardcopy in the form of a list is to

have a "Analog view" of the interdependencies of the whole package.

You know that in the job as electrician.

You can measure the power from a plug with

a digital or with a analog meter. Or with a combination of that.

I am only a beginner. But to have paper makes the opportunity to

make lines and notes with interdependencies REAL in ONE view.

Such like to make a flow diagram of the whole Software

in Basic language. ( My languages are Smalltalk 80 and Liberty Basic. )

Regards

Hans

Thank you for the answer.

I have chosen  " FILE OUT ".

Let me aks :  Who is the file then. On what location ? "

I only have seen that Pharo has make a snapshot of the

  " Package-Class-Protokoll-Methods".

After this snapshot the printer is not started.

Therfore i suppose that a File has been made in any Folder.

Regards

Hans

Hallo fellows,

i have just started with smalltalk programming Pharo.

Could you help me in one question please ?

Its simple :

After already performed a own NEW CLASS in the class browser ,

it is very convenient to PRINT OUT the complete Class ,

together with protokoll and methods in a  LIST FORM ,

in HARD COPY on a Printer.

Just to "have" the class and see it on real paper.

I couldnt find any advice in books or help.

regards

Hans

Re: Package Browser 3

kilon.alios
nothing wrong in doing things the old / analogue way but pharo offers a variety of tools to help you visualise and understand code.

One example is when you want to know how one class is a subclass from another. Browser has a separate view for this called Hierarchy view.

Another is when methods are get overriden either in the class you currently viewing or in a subclass, browser has special icons to inform you of that.  Clicking on those icons will send you to the overriding methods.

If the method has a test you can use as an example there would be an icon for it too, clicking it will run the test for you.

What if you see a method used and you want to look into its definition ? You can use the browser to do that or your printer paper but right clicking on the method and going directly to its definition is way faster also it will show you what other class defines such method.

Then of course you have the finder tool that allows you to search using just a few letters methods, classes and source and even allows you to provide an end result and gives back which method can produce that end result etc

The bottom line is that there are many pharo tools at your disposal and they are extremely powerful.

There are also a lot of third party tools as well, for example if you want to create a diagram of the algorithm of an application / package you can do that using Roassal.

So I would say for time being stick with Pharo learn the tools and if you are not happy then print code and use your pen to create diagrams of its logic.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Hans Schueren <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 22 Oct 2014, at 14:00, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> nothing wrong in doing things the old / analogue way but pharo offers a variety of tools to help you visualise and understand code.
>
> One example is when you want to know how one class is a subclass from another. Browser has a separate view for this called Hierarchy view.
>
> Another is when methods are get overriden either in the class you currently viewing or in a subclass, browser has special icons to inform you of that.  Clicking on those icons will send you to the overriding methods.
>
> If the method has a test you can use as an example there would be an icon for it too, clicking it will run the test for you.
>
> What if you see a method used and you want to look into its definition ? You can use the browser to do that or your printer paper but right clicking on the method and going directly to its definition is way faster also it will show you what other class defines such method.
>
> Then of course you have the finder tool that allows you to search using just a few letters methods, classes and source and even allows you to provide an end result and gives back which method can produce that end result etc
>
> The bottom line is that there are many pharo tools at your disposal and they are extremely powerful.
>
> There are also a lot of third party tools as well, for example if you want to create a diagram of the algorithm of an application / package you can do that using Roassal.
>
> So I would say for time being stick with Pharo learn the tools and if you are not happy then print code and use your pen to create diagrams of its logic.

Good overview and advice, Kilon - just give it a try, Hans.

And in any case, draw pictures and take notes on paper while your browsing and studying the code, that always helps.