Package Browser

Hans Schueren
Hallo fellows,

i have just started with smalltalk programming Pharo.

Could you help me in one question please ?

Its simple :

After already performed a own NEW CLASS in the class browser ,

it is very convenient to PRINT OUT the complete Class ,

together with protokoll and methods in a  LIST FORM ,

in HARD COPY on a Printer.

Just to "have" the class and see it on real paper.

I couldnt find any advice in books or help.

regards

Hans

Re: Package Browser

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Hans,

Welcome !

What you are looking for is called a file out. You can do that at several levels,  package, class, protocol and individual method. Look for the menu item 'File Out' in the menu of the respective panes in the Nautilus class browser.

That being said, this is not done very often by experienced Pharo/Smalltalk programmers. The browser, senders/implementors and other tools are so much more convenient. Furthermore, the source code management in the form of Monticello.

Sven

> On 22 Oct 2014, at 11:48, Hans Schueren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hallo fellows,
>
> i have just started with smalltalk programming Pharo.
>
> Could you help me in one question please ?
>
> Its simple :
>
> After already performed a own NEW CLASS in the class browser ,
>
> it is very convenient to PRINT OUT the complete Class ,
>
> together with protokoll and methods in a  LIST FORM ,
>
> in HARD COPY on a Printer.
>

> Just to "have" the class and see it on real paper.
>

> I couldnt find any advice in books or help.
>

> regards
>
> Hans

Re: Package Browser

Adventurer
Hans,

Welcome to Pharo.

The simplest way that I've found to do this is to "File Out" the class.  Simply right-click on the class and select file-out  This gives you a text file on the disk which you can open in a normal text editor and print.  Look for a new file in the same directory as your image called <classname>.st.

Craig

Re: Package Browser

stepharo

On 22/10/14 11:48, Hans Schueren wrote:
> Hallo fellows,
>
> i have just started with smalltalk programming Pharo.

Welcome.
This is a great journey. Take some time and ask all the questions you have.
Now be prepared to change your way of doing things and you will be
really surprised :)

Stef

> Could you help me in one question please ?
>
> Its simple :
>
> After already performed a own NEW CLASS in the class browser ,

It is no really effective (In the future we will have a full class view
instead of only a category view).
Now code printed is like dead corpse.
Try to play with senders and implementors because these are powerful
tools to navigate fast your code.