Package browser?

12

Package browser?

Rob Vens-2
I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.

Re: Package browser?

CdAB63
Em 23-02-2011 11:22, Rob Vens escreveu:
I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.

One way to fix situation is to load O2 browser:

In workspace paste:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfO2';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) project latestVersion) load.

& exec it.

Re: Package browser?

Miguel Cobá
El mié, 23-02-2011 a las 15:22 +0100, Rob Vens escribió:
> I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser
> (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
> Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello
> browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I
> could see).
> Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are
> already answered elsewhere.

Yes they are asked often but mind not. The Pharo By Example has a Pharo
image prepared for it that was used when the book was written.

www.pharobyexample.org to the right, section Download Pharo:

# Pharo By Example image (recommended for use with the book)

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: Package browser?

NorbertHartl

On 23.02.2011, at 15:29, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

Em 23-02-2011 11:22, Rob Vens escreveu:
I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.

One way to fix situation is to load O2 browser:

In workspace paste:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfO2';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) project latestVersion) load.

& exec it.

IMHO the only fix is to use the image from the website. There is a reason for this image. If you are a newbie than everything that does not work like it is written in the book is distracting. Giving advize to load a browser that is neither in the book nor is it used by a lot of people is definitely not a good idea.

Norbert

Re: Package browser?

NorbertHartl

On 23.02.2011, at 15:22, Rob Vens wrote:

> I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
> Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
> Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.

Like Miguel said you should use the image from the website. As you could see on the website a second edition of the book is in the make. I would advize you to start with the current book. It gets you going in using smalltalk and pharo. After that the second edition will be available. Quite some things will have changed then but nothing fundamental regarding smalltalk. It could be nice for you to follow the evolution if you start from the first image and you get the feel how it gets better. You will be one of the guys that have a fresh look on all of this. That is one thing we all are missing because we are working quite some time with it and we are blind to certain things. So don't hesitat to ask questions or the complain about things you think are stupid :)

Norbert

Re: Package browser?

jhancock
The latest PDF download is dated 2009-10-28.  I would be very happy to
purchase a book that was updated.  Either through and autobuild or one
of the writers could once a month publish a manual build.  I spent in
total a day trying top get a Laytex environ working on my Mac.  I
couldn't get the book to build and it left me tons of stuff installed
without a clear way to remove.
I do understand you are trying to balance having the book open and
still make some cash.  Maybe you should jside more with making some
cash.  The barrier to building the boook on your own is high.  Just go
 ahead and strike a deal with one of the book vendors that will manage
this for you.  Pragmatic Programmers has a great beta books system.

Having more recent copies in more hands my push the book dev faster too.
thanks, Jon

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23.02.2011, at 15:22, Rob Vens wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
>> Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
>> Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.
>
> Like Miguel said you should use the image from the website. As you could see on the website a second edition of the book is in the make. I would advize you to start with the current book. It gets you going in using smalltalk and pharo. After that the second edition will be available. Quite some things will have changed then but nothing fundamental regarding smalltalk. It could be nice for you to follow the evolution if you start from the first image and you get the feel how it gets better. You will be one of the guys that have a fresh look on all of this. That is one thing we all are missing because we are working quite some time with it and we are blind to certain things. So don't hesitat to ask questions or the complain about things you think are stupid :)
>
> Norbert

Re: Package browser?

Stéphane Ducasse
> The latest PDF download is dated 2009-10-28.  I would be very happy to
> purchase a book that was updated.

We did not change that much since them.
I'm working on the next book
        - exception
        - setting
        - metacello
        - ...
        - and we need more: openDBX :)

> Either through and autobuild or one
> of the writers could once a month publish a manual build.

Normally if you checkout the git version it should work out of the box.

>  I spent in total a day trying top get a Laytex environ working on my Mac.

really?
Just download the tex installer and after you latex pbe.tex and it works.
You should ask us because most of us works with latex on mac or linux.

>  I couldn't get the book to build and it left me tons of stuff installed
> without a clear way to remove.
> I do understand you are trying to balance having the book open and
> still make some cash.

Not even :)
We earn so little. We are just focused on the next book.

>  Maybe you should jside more with making some
> cash.  The barrier to building the boook on your own is high.  Just go
> ahead and strike a deal with one of the book vendors that will manage
> this for you.  Pragmatic Programmers has a great beta books system.

I prefer to die than to have to deal with these people. The last experience
was so painful. I better prefer to stay poor :)

> Having more recent copies in more hands my push the book dev faster too.

The first book is an intro to smalltalk so it does not change a lot in latest pharo1.3.
What we could do is to include the pdf (if this is not ready) in the git repo and linked it from
the web site.

Stef

> thanks, Jon
>

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 23.02.2011, at 15:22, Rob Vens wrote:
>>
>>> I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
>>> Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
>>> Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.
>>
>> Like Miguel said you should use the image from the website. As you could see on the website a second edition of the book is in the make. I would advize you to start with the current book. It gets you going in using smalltalk and pharo. After that the second edition will be available. Quite some things will have changed then but nothing fundamental regarding smalltalk. It could be nice for you to follow the evolution if you start from the first image and you get the feel how it gets better. You will be one of the guys that have a fresh look on all of this. That is one thing we all are missing because we are working quite some time with it and we are blind to certain things. So don't hesitat to ask questions or the complain about things you think are stupid :)
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Package browser?

laurent laffont

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The latest PDF download is dated 2009-10-28.  I would be very happy to
> purchase a book that was updated.

We did not change that much since them.
I'm working on the next book
       - exception
       - setting
       - metacello
       - ...
       - and we need more: openDBX :)

> Either through and autobuild or one
> of the writers could once a month publish a manual build.

Normally if you checkout the git version it should work out of the box.

Hey, why not put this on the Hudson server ? The last PBE version in one click :)

Laurent

>  I spent in total a day trying top get a Laytex environ working on my Mac.

really?
Just download the tex installer and after you latex pbe.tex and it works.
You should ask us because most of us works with latex on mac or linux.

>  I couldn't get the book to build and it left me tons of stuff installed
> without a clear way to remove.
> I do understand you are trying to balance having the book open and
> still make some cash.

Not even :)
We earn so little. We are just focused on the next book.

>  Maybe you should jside more with making some
> cash.  The barrier to building the boook on your own is high.  Just go
> ahead and strike a deal with one of the book vendors that will manage
> this for you.  Pragmatic Programmers has a great beta books system.

I prefer to die than to have to deal with these people. The last experience
was so painful. I better prefer to stay poor :)

> Having more recent copies in more hands my push the book dev faster too.

The first book is an intro to smalltalk so it does not change a lot in latest pharo1.3.
What we could do is to include the pdf (if this is not ready) in the git repo and linked it from
the web site.

Stef

> thanks, Jon
>

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 23.02.2011, at 15:22, Rob Vens wrote:
>>
>>> I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
>>> Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
>>> Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.
>>
>> Like Miguel said you should use the image from the website. As you could see on the website a second edition of the book is in the make. I would advize you to start with the current book. It gets you going in using smalltalk and pharo. After that the second edition will be available. Quite some things will have changed then but nothing fundamental regarding smalltalk. It could be nice for you to follow the evolution if you start from the first image and you get the feel how it gets better. You will be one of the guys that have a fresh look on all of this. That is one thing we all are missing because we are working quite some time with it and we are blind to certain things. So don't hesitat to ask questions or the complain about things you think are stupid :)
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Package browser?

Miguel Cobá
+1

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Package browser?

Rob Vens-2
I certainly can understand this sentiment - problem is I am not exactly a Smalltalk newbie ;-), but certainly a Pharo newbie, and I was already compiling a few remarks about quirks I encountered like not being able to deselect a list element or getting a halo to appear (in the latest image that is, not the book image). using a Mac btw)
My approach was motivated because I needed to work through the book myself before letting some of our trainees do it.
Anyway the responses are all much appreciated!

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23.02.2011, at 15:22, Rob Vens wrote:

> I am attempting to do the Pharo by Example book, but a package browser (which is used in the examples) is not in the 1.1.1 or 1.2 image.
> Should I still use categories? If I create a package in Monticello browser I am not able to add classes or anything (not as far as I could see).
> Just starting out using Pharo, so apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere.

Like Miguel said you should use the image from the website. As you could see on the website a second edition of the book is in the make. I would advize you to start with the current book. It gets you going in using smalltalk and pharo. After that the second edition will be available. Quite some things will have changed then but nothing fundamental regarding smalltalk. It could be nice for you to follow the evolution if you start from the first image and you get the feel how it gets better. You will be one of the guys that have a fresh look on all of this. That is one thing we all are missing because we are working quite some time with it and we are blind to certain things. So don't hesitat to ask questions or the complain about things you think are stupid :)

Norbert

Re: Package browser?

ubuntourist
I am just starting with Pharo and would like to learn what is being offered at www.pharo-project.org.  (I'm also partial to Ubuntu packages, for which the Pharo Project site helpfully provides instructions.)  However,  all tutorial documentation seems to point to a VM and image that are four years old.

Is there any attempt at providing a PBE image that works with a current VM or documentation that matches the VM and image offered?

Since the examples (BouncingAtomsMorph, package browser, class browser, button / menu settings) don't appear to be there for the newer VM and image -- at least not in ways that are obvious to a newcomer, is there a point to learning something that is obsolete?  (Or, alternatively, is there a point in learning the new Pharo?) I'd rather not learn something and then have to immediately unlearn / forget it.

Re: Package browser?

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 27, 2013, at 11:22 PM, ubuntourist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am just starting with Pharo and would like to learn what is being offered
> at www.pharo-project.org.  (I'm also partial to Ubuntu packages, for which
> the Pharo Project site helpfully provides instructions.)  However,  all
> tutorial documentation seems to point to a VM and image that are four years
> old.
>
> Is there any attempt at providing a PBE image that works with a current VM
> or documentation that matches the VM and image offered?
>
> Since the examples (BouncingAtomsMorph, package browser, class browser,
> button / menu settings) don't appear to be there for the newer VM and image
> -- at least not in ways that are obvious to a newcomer, is there a point to
> learning something that is obsolete?  (Or, alternatively, is there a point
> in learning the new Pharo?) I'd rather not learn something and then have to
> immediately unlearn / forget it.

We really need to update the PBE book… but I wonder how.

        Marcus

Re: Package browser?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi ubuntourist,

Its probably more helpful to think of it like learning to drive a car.
Yes we may want to learn and be taught in the family's brand new car but
you can get the hang of things equally well in the 7 yr old sedan. The
differences between not knowing how to drive and knowing how to drive
are smaller than the differences between the cars.

Other than the BouncingAtomsMorph the things you mention as missing are
in the new image but look and act a little differently.  Start with the
old stuff to get the concepts. When you move to the new stuff it'll be
like learning to drive a stick shift after getting your license in an
automatic.

Ask questions plenty of questions.

Good luck

Paul

On 06/27/2013 02:21 PM, ubuntourist wrote:

> I am just starting with Pharo and would like to learn what is being offered
> at www.pharo-project.org.  (I'm also partial to Ubuntu packages, for which
> the Pharo Project site helpfully provides instructions.)  However,  all
> tutorial documentation seems to point to a VM and image that are four years
> old.
>
> Is there any attempt at providing a PBE image that works with a current VM
> or documentation that matches the VM and image offered?
>
> Since the examples (BouncingAtomsMorph, package browser, class browser,
> button / menu settings) don't appear to be there for the newer VM and image
> -- at least not in ways that are obvious to a newcomer, is there a point to
> learning something that is obsolete?  (Or, alternatively, is there a point
> in learning the new Pharo?) I'd rather not learn something and then have to
> immediately unlearn / forget it.

Re: Package browser?

ubuntourist
OK.  I surrender. ;-)

So, not liking unnecessary clutter, can I pare down the Pharo +
Kitchen Sink ZIP file (OneClick)? It looks like the only things I'd
need from that are the Contents/Linux and Contents/Resources
directories (and the shell script to launch the pieces properly). Yes?

Re: Package browser?

Paul DeBruicker
Yes I think so.

On Jun 28, 2013, at 12:05 AM, ubuntourist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK.  I surrender. ;-)
>
> So, not liking unnecessary clutter, can I pare down the Pharo +
> Kitchen Sink ZIP file (OneClick)? It looks like the only things I'd
> need from that are the Contents/Linux and Contents/Resources
> directories (and the shell script to launch the pieces properly). Yes?

-> either install the ubuntu package

OR:

-> Download not the One-Click but just the linux version:

        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-2-0

        Marcus

Re: Package browser?

ubuntourist
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Paul DeBruicker [via Smalltalk]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Its probably more helpful to think of it like learning to drive a car.
> Yes we may want to learn and be taught in the family's brand new car but
> you can get the hang of things equally well in the 7 yr old sedan. The
> differences between not knowing how to drive and knowing how to drive
> are smaller than the differences between the cars.

Nope. The difference is that one car actually runs, and the other one
requires searching the scrap heap for old parts when you already have
newer parts available.

$ cd PBE-OneClick-1.1.app
$ ./pharo.sh
./Contents/Linux/squeakvm: error while loading shared libraries:
libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

$ locate libuuid.so.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1.3.0

Re: Package browser?

Paul DeBruicker
You'll need to install ia32-libs:multiarch I think if you haven't.
Pharo is 32bits.

On 06/27/2013 03:17 PM, ubuntourist wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Paul DeBruicker [via Smalltalk]
> <[hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4695827&i=0>> wrote:
>
>> Its probably more helpful to think of it like learning to drive a car.
>> Yes we may want to learn and be taught in the family's brand new car but
>> you can get the hang of things equally well in the 7 yr old sedan. The
>> differences between not knowing how to drive and knowing how to drive
>> are smaller than the differences between the cars.
>
> Nope. The difference is that one car actually runs, and the other one
> requires searching the scrap heap for old parts when you already have
> newer parts available.
>
> $ cd PBE-OneClick-1.1.app
> $ ./pharo.sh
> ./Contents/Linux/squeakvm: error while loading shared libraries:
> libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> $ locate libuuid.so.1
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1.3.0

Re: Package browser?

ubuntourist
> You'll need to install ia32-libs:multiarch I think if you haven't.

That's what I meant about older parts for a newer car.  You're right,
but so far, I've managed to avoid putting the 32-bit libraries on this
system.

> Pharo is 32bits.

The newer Pharo appears to be 64-bit.

Re: Package browser?

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-06-28, at 00:40, ubuntourist <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> You'll need to install ia32-libs:multiarch I think if you haven't.
>
> That's what I meant about older parts for a newer car.  You're right,
> but so far, I've managed to avoid putting the 32-bit libraries on this
> system.
>
>> Pharo is 32bits.
>
> The newer Pharo appears to be 64-bit.

Nope, there is no 64bit Pharo, yet :/