Package comments

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I yearn for package comments, especially when hunting for a starting point in a new package.

What say you?

Sean

p.s. For reference, I started a Squeak issue with links to previous discussions here - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7558.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Package comments

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+10

Re: Package comments

I started to work on DrDoc (look at the package on squeaksource)
to add metadata to packages and the idea is to save there information in terms of SmallUML spec.

Now I cannot integrate and taking care of the system, working on my daily job and producing what I want.
So sorry.

Stef

On Sep 3, 2010, at 5:01 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I yearn for package comments, especially when hunting for a starting point in
> a new package.
>
> What say you?
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. For reference, I started a Squeak issue with links to previous
> discussions here - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7558.

why there?
I cannot remember all these information

Re: Package comments

laurent laffont
Why not HelpSystem ? Works quite well to document any package.

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I started to work on DrDoc (look at the package on squeaksource)
to add metadata to packages and the idea is to save there information in terms of SmallUML spec.

Now I cannot integrate and taking care of the system, working on my daily job and producing what I want.
So sorry.

Stef

On Sep 3, 2010, at 5:01 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I yearn for package comments, especially when hunting for a starting point in
> a new package.
>
> What say you?
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. For reference, I started a Squeak issue with links to previous
> discussions here - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7558.

why there?
I cannot remember all these information

Re: Package comments

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
laurent laffont wrote
Why not HelpSystem ? Works quite well to document any package.
I just played with HelpSystem in-depth for the first time and it's really cool.  I'll start using it.

@Steph: What's the advantage, if any, of DrDoc's approach, and could the two be integrated?  Bert suggested hooking custom PackageInfo classes into HelpSystem on the Squeak list @ http://forum.world.st/Documentation-What-about-package-comments-td2062634.html#a2062634.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Package comments

Stéphane Ducasse

> I just played with HelpSystem in-depth for the first time and it's really
> cool.  I'll start using it.
>
> @Steph: What's the advantage, if any, of DrDoc's approach, and could the two
> be integrated?  Bert suggested hooking custom PackageInfo classes into
> HelpSystem on the Squeak list @
> http://forum.world.st/Documentation-What-about-package-comments-td2062634.html#a2062634.

I need metadata for packages
        - license
        - author
        - source
        - documentation
        -> so why not handling it suing help
        but may be we just need a

With the rewrite of package I did and nearly nobody care about we can just add all the meta
data and help to them without relying on yet another class and superclass.

DrDoc is not really  working and nearly emtpy. It was a toy to play with the idea.
It is just a little class that can be added to any package and does not rely on a superclass to have the metadata.
I prefer that than to rely on CustomHelp or a superclass.

Now if you follow the list you probably know my state of mind...