Package format

Frank Shearar-3
Hi,

I've read http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CodeManagementInCuis4.html but
I'm unclear on something.

Some Cuis packages - https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-JSON for
instance - store an entire package in a .pck.st file. This looks like
a standard chunk fileout.

So far so good. But sometimes one wants to store code in more than one
file. https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser for instance uses four
files, to keep the tests separate from the code under test, and so on.

But how do you file in this set of files automatically? Does Cuis have
some analysis tools to, say, topologically sort class references and
so knows to file in PetitParser.pck before PetitTests.pck? Or do you
rely on the user loading things in by hand, and guessing the correct
order?

(GNU Smalltalk makes you specify the load order, in a package.xml
file. This file also allows you to express dependencies on other
packages.)

frank

Re: Package format

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Frank

On 2/26/13, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CodeManagementInCuis4.html but
> I'm unclear on something.
>
> Some Cuis packages - https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-JSON for
> instance - store an entire package in a .pck.st file. This looks like
> a standard chunk fileout.
>
> So far so good. But sometimes one wants to store code in more than one
> file. https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser for instance uses four
> files, to keep the tests separate from the code under test, and so on.
>
> But how do you file in this set of files automatically?

You need a load script. See for example my fork of Cuis-PetitParser

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-PetitParser

Prompted by your mail I just have issued a pull request to pmon.

Does Cuis have
> some analysis tools to, say, topologically sort class references and
> so knows to file in PetitParser.pck before PetitTests.pck?

No.

Or do you
> rely on the user loading things in by hand, and guessing the correct
> order?

Yes, guessing is necessary unless people provide a load script.
Actually most of the Cuis repositories have such a load script in the
README.md file.

Maybe we should find a way to make this more formal. I.e. put this
under a special heading so that the information may be extracted from
the README.md files.

> (GNU Smalltalk makes you specify the load order, in a package.xml
> file. This file also allows you to express dependencies on other
> packages.)

Yes, this is also worth considering.

Kind regards
Hannes

Re: Package format

Frank Shearar-3
On 26 February 2013 15:17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Frank
>
> On 2/26/13, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've read http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CodeManagementInCuis4.html but
>> I'm unclear on something.
>>
>> Some Cuis packages - https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-JSON for
>> instance - store an entire package in a .pck.st file. This looks like
>> a standard chunk fileout.
>>
>> So far so good. But sometimes one wants to store code in more than one
>> file. https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser for instance uses four
>> files, to keep the tests separate from the code under test, and so on.
>>
>> But how do you file in this set of files automatically?
>
> You need a load script. See for example my fork of Cuis-PetitParser
>
> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-PetitParser
>
> Prompted by your mail I just have issued a pull request to pmon.

Ah, yes, that'll do.

By the way, did you know that GitHub's markup permits
language-specific syntax highlighting?

````smalltalk
This is a valid Smalltalk sentence.
````

> Does Cuis have
>> some analysis tools to, say, topologically sort class references and
>> so knows to file in PetitParser.pck before PetitTests.pck?
>
> No.
>
> Or do you
>> rely on the user loading things in by hand, and guessing the correct
>> order?
>
> Yes, guessing is necessary unless people provide a load script.
> Actually most of the Cuis repositories have such a load script in the
> README.md file.
>
> Maybe we should find a way to make this more formal. I.e. put this
> under a special heading so that the information may be extracted from
> the README.md files.
>
>> (GNU Smalltalk makes you specify the load order, in a package.xml
>> file. This file also allows you to express dependencies on other
>> packages.)
>
> Yes, this is also worth considering.

I just don't want to reinvent wheels. I'm thinking semi-seriously
about going the package.xml route. Not because I love XML - I hate it
- but because the idea's sensible. You can figure out load order
between packages automatically, for instance. (But I don't know how
the GNU Smalltalk people describe version-specific dependencies.)

frank