Package management info

Geert Claes
Administrator
I tried to search for more info about the "Package management system" mentioned to be part of the next 1.1 Pharo milestone.  Can someone point me to more info about this package management system?

I also could not find that much info about MetaCello either.  Any links to papers, presentation and/or video much appreciated.

Re: Package management info

Dale
These are two places to get started with Metacello:

  http://code.google.com/p/metacello/
  http://groups.google.com/group/metacello

If you have questions, join the mailing group and ask away.

Dale
----- "GeertClaes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I tried to search for more info about the "Package management system"
| mentioned to be part of the next 1.1 Pharo milestone.  Can someone
| point me
| to more info about this package management system?
|
| I also could not find that much info about MetaCello either.  Any
| links to
| papers, presentation and/or video much appreciated.

Re: Package management info

On Dec 16, 2009, at 6:47 PM, GeertClaes wrote:

> I tried to search for more info about the "Package management system"
> mentioned to be part of the next 1.1 Pharo milestone.  Can someone point me
> to more info about this package management system?

well there is not that much.
But indeed we would like to push the use of metacello to manage external packages
as a start.
Our philosophy is let us try and learn, fix and may be rewrite but from concrete case.

> I also could not find that much info about MetaCello either.  Any links to
> papers, presentation and/or video much appreciated.

You can have a look at dale henrichs web page

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/metacello-package-management-for-monticello/

you can also have a look at Moose, mondrian .... on squeaksource.
They are managed with metacello and we stress it :)

Re: Package management info

keith1y

> You can have a look at dale henrichs web page
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/metacello-package-management-for-monticello/
>
> you can also have a look at Moose, mondrian .... on squeaksource.
> They are managed with metacello and we stress it :)
>
> Stef

My first look at metacello to appraise it.

It looks like a copy of Sake/Packages.
S/P stores package definitions in methods of a class, so does Metacello.
Metacello doesnt layer the dependency mechanism so that it can be used
for other things. Sake/Packages is layered on top of Sake.
Metacellos appears declarative and only declarative, whereas S/P can
execute arbitrary tasks or code.
Metacello's metadata fields appear fixed S/P's is not.

As far as I can see S/P had most of the functionality of Metacello, a
year before and it supports unloading.
I am not saying that S/P is perfect, it is not as "controlled" and
constrained as the Metacellos approach.
There are small improvements that S/P could add to make it equivalent.
For example each package definintion loads a single package in S/P in
Metacello a single package definition can load multiple packages which
makes for a more concise library. It would be a trivial change to
include.

enjoy

Keith