Package modification time stamp?

Bill Schwab-2
Blair,

Dolphin knows whether or not a packge has been changed since it was saved.
Would it be reasonable for it to track when an unsaved modification occured?
I'm trying to idiot-proof my building of installers, and I _think_ it would
be helpful to know when various packages changed.

Most likley, I will fire off a copy of SuiteBuilder with all relevant
packages in the list, hoping that I won't realize I can skip the build step
:)   It would be nice to be able to list only the executables that need to
be built, and when the builds are done, move on to building the installers
themselves.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Package modification time stamp?

Blair McGlashan
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bmkmcv$ngro8$[hidden email]...
> Blair,
>
> Dolphin knows whether or not a packge has been changed since it was saved.
> Would it be reasonable for it to track when an unsaved modification
occured?
> I'm trying to idiot-proof my building of installers, and I _think_ it
would
> be helpful to know when various packages changed.

Well the package change "flag" could really be any object. Would it want to
be the time of the last modification, or the time of the first modification
though?

Regards

Blair

Re: Package modification time stamp?

Bill Schwab-2
Blair,

> Well the package change "flag" could really be any object. Would it want
> be the time of the last modification, or the time of the first
modification
> though?

Good question.  I was hoping you'd figure that out :)  Make utilities look
at file time stamps which are updated to the most recent change, so I
_think_ that's what we'd want.  When the package is saved, there's a file
time stamp associated with that too.  However, I'm open to counter
arguments.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Package modification time stamp?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:55:42 -0500,
Bill Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Blair,
>
>> Well the package change "flag" could really be any object.
>> Would it want to be the time of the last modification, or the
>> time of the first modification though?
>
> Good question.  I was hoping you'd figure that out :)

"could really be any object" implies "collection of modification
timestamps", so you could even imitate sf.net's "most active
projects" list.

s.

Re: Package modification time stamp?

Blair McGlashan
"Stefan Schmiedl" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bn395k$sdso4$[hidden email]...

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:55:42 -0500,
> Bill Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Blair,
> >
> >> Well the package change "flag" could really be any object.
> >> Would it want to be the time of the last modification, or the
> >> time of the first modification though?
> >
> > Good question.  I was hoping you'd figure that out :)
>
> "could really be any object" implies "collection of modification
> timestamps", so you could even imitate sf.net's "most active
> projects" list.

That's true, although those lists may become quite large. I wonder if it
might actually make more sense to "reconstitute" that information from the
change log in much the same way that Ian Bartholomew's very useful Method
History add-on builds a list of previous method versions from there. Of
course this would require a timestamp on the chunks (as in Squeak), but I've
been thinking that would be useful anyway.

Regards

Blair

Re: Package modification time stamp?

Christopher J. Demers
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bn3dfm$sm9la$[hidden email]...

> "Stefan Schmiedl" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:bn395k$sdso4$[hidden email]...
> > "could really be any object" implies "collection of modification
> > timestamps", so you could even imitate sf.net's "most active
> > projects" list.
>
> That's true, although those lists may become quite large. I wonder if it
> might actually make more sense to "reconstitute" that information from the
> change log in much the same way that Ian Bartholomew's very useful Method
> History add-on builds a list of previous method versions from there. Of
> course this would require a timestamp on the chunks (as in Squeak), but
I've
> been thinking that would be useful anyway.

I would LOVE to have some way of querying what has been changed within a
time range.  I use STS now, I hacked some code to query all changes in a
date range, but it was very slow.  Eventually I would like to have a way to
sync images easily.  This would make it much easier to use Dolphin in a
small team environment.  Anything OA adds that would make this goal easier
would be great.  One thing I think Dolphin could use would be events in
SmalltalkSystem for resources (add, change, delete).

Chris