Package questions

Costas
Why does code filed-in not assigned to the default package?

Also, does it not make sense when the image is saved to also save the
unsaved packages?

Regards,

Costas

Re: Package questions

Bill Schwab-2
Costas,

> Also, does it not make sense when the image is saved to also save the
> unsaved packages?

IMHO, no.  I've been hurt far more often by saving something bad than by
failing tosave something good.  There's also the problem of cyclic
prerequisites - it might not be possible to save packages at any particular
time, and the test for whether it would be ok is not quick.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Package questions

Blair McGlashan
"Costas" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Why does code filed-in not assigned to the default package?

If you have set a default package then all newly defined classes and methods
will be assigned to that package, but not those that are updated/replaced.
There was some confusion over the desired behaviour of the default package
during the Dolphin XP beta, but this behaviour is deliberate.

> Also, does it not make sense when the image is saved to also save the
> unsaved packages?

In our opinion, no. A Smalltalk image can be likened to the hibernate mode
of a laptop. Since it records all the state needed to (as far as reasonably
possible) precisely recreate the previous running state of the system,
nothing is lost by not saving out the changes to external files, and
furthermore that may be undesirable in the case of experimental changes.

Regards

Blair