Package validation?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

did one of you wrote a small Package checker that would check:
        - that all the methods get a non nil category
        - methods belong to a package loaded?

I experienced a lot of problem with RPackage when loading broken code and
I would like to produce a little tool to validate packages so that we can identify
problems and understand how to solve that in RPackage.

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Package validation?

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 8, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Stef, off-topic question.... When I rename a package from the SystemBrowser, the extension methods' categories are not updated. This is a known problem. I don't know where the rename happens if it is UI or model....but in case it is the model (PackageInfo or RPackage)  I would love to have that fixed in RPackage.

Yes it will because this is a pain.
Probably we should solve it also in MC. May be this is fixed in Squeak. Did you check?
I should go over the MC change made by chris but I should find time to do it.

Stef

> cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> did one of you wrote a small Package checker that would check:
>        - that all the methods get a non nil category
>        - methods belong to a package loaded?
>
> I experienced a lot of problem with RPackage when loading broken code and
> I would like to produce a little tool to validate packages so that we can identify
> problems and understand how to solve that in RPackage.
>
> Stef
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Package validation?

Mariano Martinez Peck
One more thought about RPackage. I think one of the things that everybody confuse, even myself are packages vs categories.
And it is not only us, but the system it self.

There is a package called Tools.
So..why PACKAGEInfo let me do this:  (PackageInfo named: 'Tools-Base') classes
that should be an error. 'Tools-Base' is NOT a package, it is a category.

I don't know how RPackage deals with it, but I just mention...

cheers

Mariano

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 8, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Stef, off-topic question.... When I rename a package from the SystemBrowser, the extension methods' categories are not updated. This is a known problem. I don't know where the rename happens if it is UI or model....but in case it is the model (PackageInfo or RPackage)  I would love to have that fixed in RPackage.

Yes it will because this is a pain.
Probably we should solve it also in MC. May be this is fixed in Squeak. Did you check?
I should go over the MC change made by chris but I should find time to do it.

Stef

> cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> did one of you wrote a small Package checker that would check:
>        - that all the methods get a non nil category
>        - methods belong to a package loaded?
>
> I experienced a lot of problem with RPackage when loading broken code and
> I would like to produce a little tool to validate packages so that we can identify
> problems and understand how to solve that in RPackage.
>
> Stef
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Package validation?

Stéphane Ducasse
Ideally I would love to remove class categories and only have packages.

Stef

> One more thought about RPackage. I think one of the things that everybody confuse, even myself are packages vs categories.
> And it is not only us, but the system it self.
>
> There is a package called Tools.
> So..why PACKAGEInfo let me do this:  (PackageInfo named: 'Tools-Base') classes
> that should be an error. 'Tools-Base' is NOT a package, it is a category.

In RPackage you will not have that problem.