Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Package wants to require minimum revision on base

KenDickey
Juan,

The Installed Packages browser used to be able to require a minimum revision on the base release.

I use this feature as a backstop when features change in the base release.

Any chance in getting this ability back?

Thanks much,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Hannes Hirzel
Juan,

And this brings up the question that it would be good to have a
'release tag' from time to time.

So that releases show up here

    https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/releases

Currently there are 0 releases. This is very straightforward to do in github.

This will facilitate checking if external packages still run fine.
There are about 50 commits in
Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev in first two quaters of 2015.

I think I some minor releases (i.e. 2 ... 6 a year) would be fine.

Thanks for considering this

--Hannes

On 7/4/15, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan,
>
> The Installed Packages browser used to be able to require a minimum revision
> on the base release.
>
> I use this feature as a backstop when features change in the base release.
>
> Any chance in getting this ability back?
>
> Thanks much,
> -KenD

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Phil B
On Sat, 2015-07-04 at 23:45 +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Juan,
>
> And this brings up the question that it would be good to have a
> 'release tag' from time to time.
>
> So that releases show up here
>
>     https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/releases
>
> Currently there are 0 releases. This is very straightforward to do in github.
>
> This will facilitate checking if external packages still run fine.
> There are about 50 commits in
> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev in first two quaters of 2015.
>
> I think I some minor releases (i.e. 2 ... 6 a year) would be fine.
>
> Thanks for considering this

It seems like for most of my packages I'd need to tie to a minimum build
# (what Ken asked for, i.e. #2400) rather than a version # (4.2.7 or
whatever) right now.  How do you envision using a version # given that
people will pretty much grab whatever the current build is at the time
they download Cuis?

> --Hannes
>
> On 7/4/15, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Juan,
> >
> > The Installed Packages browser used to be able to require a minimum revision
> > on the base release.
> >
> > I use this feature as a backstop when features change in the base release.
> >
> > Any chance in getting this ability back?
> >
> > Thanks much,
> > -KenD

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Ken,

On 04/07/2015 05:04 a.m., Ken.Dickey wrote:

> Juan,
>
> The Installed Packages browser used to be able to require a minimum revision on the base release.
>
> I use this feature as a backstop when features change in the base release.
>
> Any chance in getting this ability back?
>
> Thanks much,
> -KenD

When was it lost?  I can't remember doing anything related to this...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

KenDickey
On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 11:01:06 -0300
Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> On 04/07/2015 05:04 a.m., Ken.Dickey wrote:
> > Juan,
> >
> > The Installed Packages browser used to be able to require a minimum revision on the base release.
> >
> > I use this feature as a backstop when features change in the base release.
> >
> > Any chance in getting this ability back?
> >
> > Thanks much,
> > -KenD
>
> When was it lost?  I can't remember doing anything related to this...

Not sure when.

If there is more than one package loaded, one can Add Requirement with one option being the base release.  If only one package is loaded, one gets the "Required package must already be loaded" popup, rather than an option to require Cuis-Base.

--
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

Sure, let's discuss this. What do other people maintaining external
packages think? This is for you...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 7/5/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> Sure, let's discuss this. What do other people maintaining external
> packages think? This is for you...

Thank you. I think the issue is that the 50 or so commits in the first
six months of this year needed to be grouped into larger chunks,
called minor released.

I understand that in github a release is just a tab on a particular
commit, i.e. they may be still be added.

And the most straightforward thing is to continue numbering with where
you left off before moving to github.

It should be easy for people to check out a particular release of the past.

This in particular as many months might pass between work on Cuis for
a particular project.

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 04/07/2015 08:45 p.m., H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Juan,
>>
>> And this brings up the question that it would be good to have a
>> 'release tag' from time to time.
>>
>> So that releases show up here
>>
>>      https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/releases
>>
>> Currently there are 0 releases. This is very straightforward to do in
>> github.
>>
>> This will facilitate checking if external packages still run fine.
>> There are about 50 commits in
>> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev in first two quaters of 2015.
>>
>> I think I some minor releases (i.e. 2 ... 6 a year) would be fine.
>>
>> Thanks for considering this
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 7/4/15, Ken.Dickey<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Juan,
>>>
>>> The Installed Packages browser used to be able to require a minimum
>>> revision
>>> on the base release.
>>>
>>> I use this feature as a backstop when features change in the base
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Any chance in getting this ability back?
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>> -KenD

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Juan Vuletich-4
I fixed this a few days ago. Please check. If there's some problem there
yet, please complain :)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Ps. It is getting a bit hard to find enough time for all this. That's
why I'm slow answering. Please never refrain from insisting if I don't
answer.

On 7/25/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I fixed this a few days ago. Please check. If there's some problem there
> yet, please complain :)
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Ps. It is getting a bit hard to find enough time for all this. That's
> why I'm slow answering. Please never refrain from insisting if I don't
> answer.

Thank you for this fix. Has it been committed?
The last commit is 8 days ago.
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/commit/e9568515b8db6c5e251e209edae60819d7ba4b63

--Hannes

> On 7/4/2015 10:57 PM, Ken.Dickey wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 11:01:06 -0300
>> Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ken,

>>> When was it lost?  I can't remember doing anything related to this...
>> Not sure when.
>>
>> If there is more than one package loaded, one can Add Requirement with one
>> option being the base release.  If only one package is loaded, one gets
>> the "Required package must already be loaded" popup, rather than an option
>> to require Cuis-Base.

Re: Package wants to require minimum revision on base

Hannes Hirzel
BTW you are NOT slow in answering. Take you time.

For confirming  that the feature is back indeed
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/issues/70

On 7/27/2015 3:59 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> BTW you are NOT slow in answering. Take you time.

:)

> For confirming  that the feature is back indeed
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/issues/70

Ken confirmed that it is working ok. I closed the issue.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich