Packages setup compatible

GLASS mailing list
Ciao,

i'm ready to revision some code relative to Seaside application.

My goal is to do this work into Pharo 4.0  and after port all to the Gemstone GLASS environment: GsDevKit_home

The GsDevKit/Seaside31  Releases report the  3.1.4.2-gs  as last version installable into Gemstone.

Considering i need to port all to GLASS ( not tomorrow, but in the next months )

what version of Seaside  and Magritte are the most suitable to load into Pharo?

Another question: i can load Pier3 and Pier3AddOns into the last GLASS version?

Thanks for any considerations,

Dario

Re: Packages setup compatible

GLASS mailing list

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao,

i'm ready to revision some code relative to Seaside application.

My goal is to do this work into Pharo 4.0  and after port all to the Gemstone GLASS environment: GsDevKit_home

The GsDevKit/Seaside31  Releases report the  3.1.4.2-gs  as last version installable into Gemstone.

Yes, 3.1.4.2-gs is the one I am using and it's the latest stable one for GemStone.
For Pharo 4.0 I am using 3.1.4.1.

Considering i need to port all to GLASS ( not tomorrow, but in the next months )

what version of Seaside  and Magritte are the most suitable to load into Pharo?

Another question: i can load Pier3 and Pier3AddOns into the last GLASS version?

I don't know, I never tried.

On 11/26/2015 09:12 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass wrote:
Ciao,

i'm ready to revision some code relative to Seaside application.

My goal is to do this work into Pharo 4.0  and after port all to the Gemstone GLASS environment: GsDevKit_home

The GsDevKit/Seaside31  Releases report the  3.1.4.2-gs  as last version installable into Gemstone.

Considering i need to port all to GLASS ( not tomorrow, but in the next months )

what version of Seaside  and Magritte are the most suitable to load into Pharo?

Another question: i can load Pier3 and Pier3AddOns into the last GLASS version?
I know that in the past I have been able to load Pier3.0.0 into recent versions of GLASS/GsDevKit, but I'm pretty sure that Pier3.0.0 needs to use Seaside3.0.8 ... since you are planning on using Seaside3.1, we'd have to port a newer version of Pier to GemStone ...

Now it looks like the latest version of Pier is at 3.1.1 and it requires Magritte3.1 (or later?), but it looks to be using Pillar instead of Pier so it may be a bit of a stretch to port Pillar to GemStone unless it shares the Pier classes ...

Pier 3.0.1 appears to use Seaside3.1 and Magrritte3.1 and since I know that Magritte3.2 passes tests on GemStone, it is highly likely that PIer3.0.1 can be ported to GemStone without too much work ...

If you are looking to use Pier3.0.1 I can probably take a pass at getting PIer3.0.1 to work in the most recent versions of GLASS/GsDevKit ...

If you are interested in PIllar, then I can take a pass at getting it to work in GLASS/GsDevKit as well ..
Let me know which one you are interested in using ...

Dale

[...]

I'm interested to using Pier and  Pier3AddOns

I have do some test to load these packages into a new Pharo 4.0 image.

My conclusions as are reported  into Magritte list:

A) into Pharo 4.0 i load:

( ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project version: #'release3.1' )

( ConfigurationOfMagritte3 project version: #'release3.5' )

( ConfigurationOfPier3 project version: #'release3.0' )

With these the  pier web applications   work fine.

B) I don't load:

( ConfigurationOfMagritte3AddOns project version: #'release3.1' )

what it implemented ?  ( i don't remember )

( ConfigurationOfPier3AddOns project version: #'release3.X' )

if i right understand it's not  port - supported  into the new ' Pier release' .

Someone is working on it  ?

Now how i wrote before, my goal at the end, is to port ( in the next months ) the code-application into a new valid Gemstone environment.

I remember in the past, i had some problem to setup the compatible developments environment  ( Pharo - GLASS )

i hope  that  the  conclusions at point A)    is a good starting reference.

Thanks,

Dario

Re: Packages setup compatible

GLASS mailing list

On 12/03/2015 07:37 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass wrote:
Ciao,

[...]

Okay ... I will take a look at this combination for GemStone ...

I assume that you will be using GsDevKit_home for this new application?

I'm hoping that you do, because I think the easiest way to manage this combination is to use tODE and project entries ... When I take a look at this combo for GemStone, I will produce a set of project entries that will basically act as "load specs" for Metacello that you will share with all stones for your new project.

---- For this new work, you should use a separate installation of GsDevKit_home, so that you shared git repositories, scripts and project entries will be focussed on this project. Within the tODE framework it would be straightforward to share scripts and project entries between different GsDevKit_home instances --- Hmmm ... I suppose it would be convenient to make project entries work in Pharo, but I just don't have the bandwidth right now to look into this ...

I've got a couple thing cooking right now, so it will take a day or two before I can get around to taking a look at this, but it looks like the only change will be to make sure that Magritte 3.5 is working in GemStone and that should not be a big issue ... so you should be able start your work using this combo and expect to be able to get your project functioning in both environments ...

Dale