Packaging Pharo for many distributions at once

Packaging Pharo for many distributions at once

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I've packaged Pharo VM for the Nix package manager which can be
installed on many Unix (e.g., Linux, MacOS X and FreeBSD). This works
well but requires installing Nix on your Unix.

Another solution is http://openbuildservice.org. Is any of you
interested in trying to use this service to build Pharo VM packages
for several Linux distributions automatically? I can help.

Best

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Packaging Pharo for many distributions at once

Thierry Goubier
 Hi Damien,

I would be interested in a zeroinstall [http://0install.net/] version :) A cool system because it is user-level (no need to go into system admin mode).

Thierry

I've packaged Pharo VM for the Nix package manager which can be
installed on many Unix (e.g., Linux, MacOS X and FreeBSD). This works
well but requires installing Nix on your Unix.

Another solution is http://openbuildservice.org. Is any of you
interested in trying to use this service to build Pharo VM packages
for several Linux distributions automatically? I can help.

Best

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Packaging Pharo for many distributions at once

demarey

Le 24 sept. 2014 à 11:00, Thierry Goubier a écrit :

 Hi Damien,

I would be interested in a zeroinstall [http://0install.net/] version :) A cool system because it is user-level (no need to go into system admin mode).

It looks interesting but requires the user to install 0install before being able to install Pharo. A big drawback ...

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Packaging Pharo for many distributions at once

Thierry Goubier

Le 24 sept. 2014 à 11:00, Thierry Goubier a écrit :

 Hi Damien,

I would be interested in a zeroinstall [http://0install.net/] version :) A cool system because it is user-level (no need to go into system admin mode).

It looks interesting but requires the user to install 0install before being able to install Pharo. A big drawback ...

This is because you don't have yet half a dozen things already installed via 0install ;)

All non-native package managers have that issue.

Thierry

Re: Packaging Pharo for many distributions at once

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Thierry Goubier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> All non-native package managers have that issue.

nix included

Winston Churchill

Le 24 sept. 2014 à 18:51, Damien Cassou a écrit :

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Thierry Goubier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All non-native package managers have that issue.
>

> nix included

I know ...
That's why native packages are still interesting even if it's difficult to manage various package descriptions and build.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment