Packaging error - missing group named

Carl Gundel-2
What does this mean?

NLS Error (VA).  Missing group named: 'AbtNlsTraMsgGrp'.  Check that your MPR files exist and are properly registered.
Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Packaging error - missing group named

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:20:39 PM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
What does this mean?

NLS Error (VA).  Missing group named: 'AbtNlsTraMsgGrp'.  Check that your MPR files exist and are properly registered.

It appears you are trying to use an NLS message from that group. If you browse references to AbtNlsTraMsgGrp, you will see about a half dozen methods that reference it.

I'm going to guess that you are running a packaged image which included more of the development environment than you intended. Check the various log files created from the packaging to see whether there are classes included that surprise you. e.g. You typically would not expect to find the EsCompiler class in a runtime image. Likewise for the NLS translation classes.

If you do intend to reference these classes or you are using a development image, check that your .ini file's description of where the find the NLS files matches reality. (i.e., are the files where says they are?)

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 5:43:43 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

 Thanks Richard.  I'm trying to create a headless app, ultimately a Windows service.

When I do run the packaged app I get more popup errors, and then it tells me to look at walkback.log, but nothing goes in there.

This is going to be interesting.

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 2:55:26 PM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
[...]

Check the obvious first. Make sure the directory in which it runs allows the user used to run it to create and write files. I think you can also edit your .ini file and specify the path for walkback.log in a directory known to be writable. (See the line "walkbackFilename=walkback.log" in it.)

And as I said before, check that what you think is being packaged is what is actually being packaged. The sooner you have a package with no more and no less than what you need or want, the sooner the errors will be your own errors. :-)

This is going to be interesting.

-Carl

Re: Packaging error - missing group named

John O'Keefe-3
Carl -

AbtNlsTraMsgGrp is used by the AbtNlsTranslationUtilityApp. This app is not one that should be included in run time, so it should not have been included when you packaged.

John

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 8:21:37 AM UTC-4, John O'Keefe wrote:
Carl -

AbtNlsTraMsgGrp is used by the AbtNlsTranslationUtilityApp. This app is not one that should be included in run time, so it should not have been included when you packaged.

John

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 4:20:39 PM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
What does this mean?

NLS Error (VA).  Missing group named: 'AbtNlsTraMsgGrp'.  Check that your MPR files exist and are properly registered.
Thanks,

-Carl

Thank John.  I don't see any place where either AbtNlsTraMsgGrp or AbtNlsTranslationUtilityApp are refererenced in my map or application.  How can I figure out how these are being included?  Do I need to explicitly omit them?  How would I do that?

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 6:18:26 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

Richard (and John),

I did manage to eliminate the references to AbtNls related stuff.  Thanks for your help.  I was referencing compiler related stuff in my map.

Now I am still having problems with nothing going to walkback.log.  The directory does not restrict the app from writing anything to a file. I am running it from the same folder I am running VA Smalltalk from which is c:\VA Smalltalk\8.6\ and when I run my application inside of VA Smalltalk I have no trouble writing files to that folder from my running app.

-Carl

Re: Packaging error - missing group named

jtuchel
Carl,

are you using the "Make Executable" menu or do you work with the Packaged Image Browser?

A general advice: do use the latter.

There, after performing the "Reduce" Step, you can view the contents of the reduced image by using the menus. YSou can search for included/excluded classes, methods, pools and such. And you can modify your packaging instructions with many helpful context menu items. The Packaged Image Browser may look as if it is 20 years old (which it probably is), but it is extremely helpful! (i mean, EXTREMELY!).

Joachim