classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Packaging failure: "$NLS$ Shared bytecodes with different literals size"

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

I've converted one of my GUI programs from v9.2.2 to v10.0.0.  I made lots of changes but everything seems to be working well in the development environment.  When I package, the packaging runs for a long time and then stops with "$NLS$ Shared bytecodes with different literals size".  This is called in: EsDumper>compactMethods:.

There is a large comment:
"Since the compressed bytecodes of 'cm' and 'nextCm' are equal, the 2 CompiledMethods should have the same number of literals. However, since Pragma support introduced a hidden literal, we need to split chain of 'shared' methods on two chains: in first chain will placed methods without any Pragmas and in second chain - with Pragmas (if present). See #epByteCodeLessThan: and break-condition above."

just before the test that fails.  The two sizes are 12 and 16 but I don't know what they refer to.  Off the top of my head (or pulled out of my butt) do I need to force the recompile of things?

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VAST Community Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/dbae6767-e89f-4671-815e-b4ff99985504n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Packaging failure: "$NLS$ Shared bytecodes with different literals size"

Seth Berman
Hi Lou,

We have a fix for that coming out in 10.0.1 in @ month

Fix:
EpImage>>copyMethod:compact:
(newCm := CompiledMethod new: method size)
bytecodes: (EsByteCodeArray uncompressBytecodeArray: method bytecodes copy);
methodClass: method methodClass;
hasPragmas: method hasPragmas;
selector: method selector;
filePointer: method filePointer.

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 4:52:18 PM UTC-4 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi All,

I've converted one of my GUI programs from v9.2.2 to v10.0.0.  I made lots of changes but everything seems to be working well in the development environment.  When I package, the packaging runs for a long time and then stops with "$NLS$ Shared bytecodes with different literals size".  This is called in: EsDumper>compactMethods:.

"Since the compressed bytecodes of 'cm' and 'nextCm' are equal, the 2 CompiledMethods should have the same number of literals. However, since Pragma support introduced a hidden literal, we need to split chain of 'shared' methods on two chains: in first chain will placed methods without any Pragmas and in second chain - with Pragmas (if present). See #epByteCodeLessThan: and break-condition above."

just before the test that fails.  The two sizes are 12 and 16 but I don't know what they refer to.  Off the top of my head (or pulled out of my butt) do I need to force the recompile of things?

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VAST Community Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/4331b49c-ca4e-4a3f-97f2-6e65fbf07c7dn%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
I should mention this is actually an old old bug.
But now that we actually make use of pragmas in base code...its showing up.

- Seth

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 4:58:32 PM UTC-4 Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Lou,

Fix:

Hi All,

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/4b795fa5-7b34-42cb-b710-f880feaf9739n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Seth,

Thanks, I will try it out tomorrow.

Lou

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 4:59:20 PM UTC-4 Seth Berman wrote:

- Seth

Hi Lou,

Fix:

Hi All,

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/c59b0828-e5e2-4684-b42e-489c338f6c07n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Seth, Everybody,

That fixed the problem, thanks.

Lou

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 5:35:36 PM UTC-4 Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Seth,

Thanks, I will try it out tomorrow.

Lou

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 4:59:20 PM UTC-4 Seth Berman wrote:

- Seth

Hi Lou,

Fix:

Hi All,

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Lou

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/c5f95b0a-1198-4fa7-a852-6c850c182e26n%40googlegroups.com.