Packaging, gst-package and --destdir

Holger Freyther
Dear Paolo,

I started to (debian) package my GSM related Smalltalk packages and have
one issue. I am using --destdir to put the packages into the scratch area
for debian. I have several packages in one git repository and it is not
possible to test them.

Would you mind if Package.st adds the destdir as a Kernel.PackageDirectory
to the Kernel.PackageDirectories?

holger

Re: Packaging, gst-package and --destdir

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 27/11/2012 15:39, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:
> Dear Paolo,
>
> I started to (debian) package my GSM related Smalltalk packages and have
> one issue. I am using --destdir to put the packages into the scratch area
> for debian. I have several packages in one git repository and it is not
> possible to test them.
>
> Would you mind if Package.st adds the destdir as a Kernel.PackageDirectory
> to the Kernel.PackageDirectories?

Have you tried building an image in the destdir at the beginning of the
installation (in destdir/var/lib/smalltalk/gst.im for example), and
adding the directory to the package directories when creating the image?

Paolo

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 03:19:26PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Have you tried building an image in the destdir at the beginning of the
> installation (in destdir/var/lib/smalltalk/gst.im for example), and
> adding the directory to the package directories when creating the image?

Oh, using gst -i -I ...gst.im appears to do the trick. On first sight
it will also load additional packages from the right place. For gst-package
the -i option does not appear to be documented, so the same trick might not
work.

thanks

Il 05/01/2013 10:08, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 03:19:26PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>
>> Have you tried building an image in the destdir at the beginning of the
>> installation (in destdir/var/lib/smalltalk/gst.im for example), and
>> adding the directory to the package directories when creating the image?
>
> Oh, using gst -i -I ...gst.im appears to do the trick. On first sight
> it will also load additional packages from the right place. For gst-package
> the -i option does not appear to be documented, so the same trick might not
> work.

You can use "gst-load -i -I ...gst.im" and then gst-sunit.  This is
similar to how GNU Smalltalk's own build system builds tests/gst.im.

Paolo