Packaging: squeak-web and one-click Scribo?

Packaging: squeak-web and one-click Scribo?

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

As a result of recent comments and questions from David Pennell and
discussion on IRC with Nico we come out with idea to package Aida and
Scribo in two distributions:

1. one-click Scribo image, end-user/power user oriented, after image
startup just a simple GUI app with buttons for start/stop Scribo will be
shown.

2. Damien's squeak-web image with Aida and Scribo loaded, developer
oriented. Scribo will be here loaded as a CMS framework, for building
web apps combined with CMS functionality.

Scribo one-click will start with Scribo default design while Aida dev
image with Aida one. I also hope we will manage to develop enough
configuration that Scribo will actually be a standalone configured,
without a need for Smalltalk knowledge.

This is for Squeak, for other Smalltalks probably the same.

Do you see such way of packaging both projects a good way to go?
Remember, all idea is to come a close as possible to two different
audiences:

- CMS end/power users
- developers

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Packaging: squeak-web and one-click Scribo?

Rob Rothwell
Hello...

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

As a result of recent comments and questions from David Pennell and
discussion on IRC with Nico we come out with idea to package Aida and
Scribo in two distributions:

1. one-click Scribo image, end-user/power user oriented, after image
startup just a simple GUI app with buttons for start/stop Scribo will be
shown.

2. Damien's squeak-web image with Aida and Scribo loaded, developer
oriented. Scribo will be here loaded as a CMS framework, for building
web apps combined with CMS functionality.

Just so you know, you need a pre 3.9.1 image (like the standard 3.9-final-7067 to run the r41 release of Magma, if that is important to you!  Thinking about this made me think you might want to consider your base image...

Scribo one-click will start with Scribo default design while Aida dev
image with Aida one. I also hope we will manage to develop enough
configuration that Scribo will actually be a standalone configured,
without a need for Smalltalk knowledge.

This is for Squeak, for other Smalltalks probably the same.

Do you see such way of packaging both projects a good way to go?
Remember, all idea is to come a close as possible to two different
audiences:

- CMS end/power users
- developers

Rob

Re: Packaging: squeak-web and one-click Scribo?

Nicolas Petton
Hi all,

Pharo-Dev image by Damien could be a good basis for the developpers
image.

About Pharo:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Packaging: squeak-web and one-click Scribo?

Hans N Beck-2

sounds good :-)  But I would ensure that the one-click image can be
made equal to the development image and vice versa by applying only a
few actions. Or in other words, both things should be 2 faces of the
same thing.

regards

Hans

Am 06.10.2008 um 16:19 schrieb Janko Mivšek:

> Dear all,
>
> As a result of recent comments and questions from David Pennell and
> discussion on IRC with Nico we come out with idea to package Aida and
> Scribo in two distributions:
>
> 1. one-click Scribo image, end-user/power user oriented, after image
> startup just a simple GUI app with buttons for start/stop Scribo
> will be
> shown.
>
> 2. Damien's squeak-web image with Aida and Scribo loaded, developer
> oriented. Scribo will be here loaded as a CMS framework, for building
> web apps combined with CMS functionality.
>
> Scribo one-click will start with Scribo default design while Aida dev
> image with Aida one. I also hope we will manage to develop enough
> configuration that Scribo will actually be a standalone configured,
> without a need for Smalltalk knowledge.
>
> This is for Squeak, for other Smalltalks probably the same.
>
> Do you see such way of packaging both projects a good way to go?
> Remember, all idea is to come a close as possible to two different
> audiences:
>
> - CMS end/power users
> - developers
>
> Best regards
> JAnko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Deployment Question

BrunoBB
Hi,

It is possible with AIDA to deploy multiple Virtual Machines (for
scalability)?

Since every object in AIDA has a unique (life long) id, how different VM
share this information ?

For example:
anObject recovered from a RDB in one image has it's id, but a second VM
recover the same object from RDB, is the id the same ?

Or may be multiple virtual machines with one object space.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Deployment Question

Janko Mivšek
Hi Bruno.

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco wrote:

> It is possible with AIDA to deploy multiple Virtual Machines (for
> scalability)?

Yes, you can run multiple images behind the load balancer. Proved in
practice.

> Since every object in AIDA has a unique (life long) id, how different VM
> share this information ?

This id is an object's Url in our case which by default maps to object
reference and vice versa with help of URLResolver.

There are many ways to solve that problem (IMO, because I don't have
much experience with RDBs):

- if users have a separate data, just direct their sessions always to
the same image (set session affinity on load balancer),
- store url to database too and by making your own special URLResolver
to make an appropriate call to a database with an url as a key,
- auto make Urls from some unique key of your objects in RDB, with your
own URLReslover,
- use one transaction per request, with commit at the end of each
request, which will then sync data to other images (Gemstoners trick),
- in case of commit conflicts just rerun that request (again Gemstoners
trick).

> For example:
> anObject recovered from a RDB in one image has it's id, but a second VM
> recover the same object from RDB, is the id the same ?
>
> Or may be multiple virtual machines with one object space.

I hope above hints answer your questions a bit.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Deployment Question

BrunoBB
Janko,

Excellent, so we have more than one approach for that in AIDA, I think
storing the URL (with a URLResolver) in the RDB is easy and fast to
implement.

Yes. Thanks again.

Regards,
Bruno

> It is possible with AIDA to deploy multiple Virtual Machines (for
> scalability)?

Yes, you can run multiple images behind the load balancer. Proved in
practice.

> Since every object in AIDA has a unique (life long) id, how different VM
> share this information ?

This id is an object's Url in our case which by default maps to object
reference and vice versa with help of URLResolver.

There are many ways to solve that problem (IMO, because I don't have
much experience with RDBs):

- if users have a separate data, just direct their sessions always to
the same image (set session affinity on load balancer),
- store url to database too and by making your own special URLResolver
to make an appropriate call to a database with an url as a key,
- auto make Urls from some unique key of your objects in RDB, with your
own URLReslover,
- use one transaction per request, with commit at the end of each
request, which will then sync data to other images (Gemstoners trick),
- in case of commit conflicts just rerun that request (again Gemstoners
trick).

> For example:
> anObject recovered from a RDB in one image has it's id, but a second VM
> recover the same object from RDB, is the id the same ?
>
> Or may be multiple virtual machines with one object space.

I hope above hints answer your questions a bit.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web