Panes?

Rob Rothwell
Can you create panes in Aida?

I am trying to create a "browser" for queries against my object with a "Criteria" pane, a "Group" pane, a "Results" pane, and a "Detail" pane.  So...basically a typical Smalltalk code browser with different functionality for the panes.

Thanks!

Rob

Re: Panes?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Can you create panes in Aida?

> I am trying to create a "browser" for queries against my object with a
> "Criteria" pane, a "Group" pane, a "Results" pane, and a "Detail" pane.
>  So...basically a typical Smalltalk code browser with different
> functionality for the panes.

One possibility is to use IFRAMEs (see WebIFrame), where every such
frame is like a separate window (with separate Url) inside your main
window. We use IFrames in Scribo for attachments, for instance.

Another possibility is to use usual table with ajaxified elements as
panes in each cell.

Problem in both cases is how to update other panes when something
changes. Aida Ajax so far supports updating only one element at once.
That is, you can change one pane at once. Maybe with some trick more
panes can be updated even with current Aida? Otherwise we need to extend
Ajax support to multi-element updating (inside a single Ajax call).

But, hmm, more that one ajax call can be sent even now, you just send
two onClickUpdate: ? A bit experimentation is therefore needed ...

Just few thoughts...

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Panes?

Janko Mivšek
Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Thanks...I'll think about that.
>
> So...if you just wanted to "get something working" for now and you
> wanted to break up your screen into different regions and not worry
> about them being resizeable, etc...  what would you do?

Plain simple tables. But as I said problem will be in updating other
panes (cells in that case) when you for instance select something in
first pane (like in smalltalk browser). Try with calling many
onClickUpdate: , each for pane which needs to be updated on such a
select. Each pane is therefore an ajaxified element added to each cell
of the browser.

For example:

smalltalkBroswer

   e := WebElement new.
   e cell add: self classPane.
   e newCell add: self protocolPane.
   e newCell add: self methodPane.
   e newRow.
   e cell collSpan: 3; add: self editPane.
   ^e

classPane

  ^self panes at: #class ifAbsentPut:
    [| e l |
    e := WebElement new.
    l := some link to be clicked etc...
      onClickUpdate: self protocolPane;
      onClickUpdate: self methodPAne;
      onClickUpdate: self editPane.
    e]

Well, try something like this, but note, these are just some ideas right
from my head and probably won't work "out of the box".

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Panes?

Rob Rothwell
Thank you!

After seeing some work someone else did in VW, I am toying with the idea of building the interface for my generic data entry application right in Morphic since it is basically just a class builder that will always have the same Aida application except for the placement of the fields and tabs.

Just an idea!

However, a standard view of my data will be a browser of some sort, so I'll give the ideas a try!

Thanks again,

Rob