Panic

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks.

<OT> In my university were I was graduated, used to teach with Dolphin few years ago, then squeak and this semester they will probably start to teach with Pharo. The good thing is that they have like 6 courses, with 50 students each course....so, it is good :)   I hope several of them join the community.
Carla, anything to say about PDP?  ;)
</OT>

I was talking with them, and they missed (me too) a little utility that was in Dolphin and that I remember in VAST: the panic button. In dolphin is "panic", in VAST I don't remember exactly.
But basically, what it does is to close ALL what it is open. All kind of windows, popups or anything. Right now, we have a "Delete unchanged windows" but:

- it only takes into account windows. I want to close everything: transcripts, workspaces, popups, etc. Even more, OCompletion sometimes lets some popups alive and users (mostly beginners) don't know how to remove them.
- I want to close ALL windows, I don't care if you were editing or not.
- I dont like the name "Delete unchanged Windows". Can we renamed to "Close unchanged windows" ?

So...I can add it to the "Windows" -> "Panic"
I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Basically, it does this:

World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo: [:each | each delete]

(remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)

The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?

The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being edited without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes has not been saved....".
I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this. Help ?
maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there is a deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.

Thanks

Mariano

Re: Panic

Igor Stasenko
2010/3/24 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks.
>
> <OT> In my university were I was graduated, used to teach with Dolphin few
> years ago, then squeak and this semester they will probably start to teach
> with Pharo. The good thing is that they have like 6 courses, with 50
> students each course....so, it is good :)   I hope several of them join the
> community.
> Carla, anything to say about PDP?  ;)
> </OT>
>
> I was talking with them, and they missed (me too) a little utility that was
> in Dolphin and that I remember in VAST: the panic button. In dolphin is
> "panic", in VAST I don't remember exactly.
> But basically, what it does is to close ALL what it is open. All kind of
> windows, popups or anything. Right now, we have a "Delete unchanged windows"
> but:
>
> - it only takes into account windows. I want to close everything:
> transcripts, workspaces, popups, etc. Even more, OCompletion sometimes lets
> some popups alive and users (mostly beginners) don't know how to remove
> them.
> - I want to close ALL windows, I don't care if you were editing or not.
> - I dont like the name "Delete unchanged Windows". Can we renamed to "Close
> unchanged windows" ?
>
> So...I can add it to the "Windows" -> "Panic"
> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?
>
> Basically, it does this:
>

> World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo: [:each
> | each delete]
>
> (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)
>
> The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?

I thinking of even more radical process - replace the World instance
alltogether,
and then recreate all default things from scratch (logo, tabs etc).
So, then old World instance and all its submorphs will be GCed.. and
you don't have to
delete anything. The panic, as i understand, is not where you
interested whether you having something unsaved or not
- it should reset UI unconditionally, and in this way, leaving minimal
chances that you will still be plagued by some inconsistency after
reset.

> The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being edited
> without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes has
> not been saved....".
> I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this. Help ?
> maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the
> execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there is a
> deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.
>

> Thanks
>
> Mariano

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Panic

If they need something like that they can add it in a specific package and load it in their image
it should not be difficult.

Stef

On Mar 24, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> <OT> In my university were I was graduated, used to teach with Dolphin few years ago, then squeak and this semester they will probably start to teach with Pharo. The good thing is that they have like 6 courses, with 50 students each course....so, it is good :)   I hope several of them join the community.
> Carla, anything to say about PDP?  ;)
> </OT>
>
> I was talking with them, and they missed (me too) a little utility that was in Dolphin and that I remember in VAST: the panic button. In dolphin is "panic", in VAST I don't remember exactly.
> But basically, what it does is to close ALL what it is open. All kind of windows, popups or anything. Right now, we have a "Delete unchanged windows" but:
>
> - it only takes into account windows. I want to close everything: transcripts, workspaces, popups, etc. Even more, OCompletion sometimes lets some popups alive and users (mostly beginners) don't know how to remove them.
> - I want to close ALL windows, I don't care if you were editing or not.
> - I dont like the name "Delete unchanged Windows". Can we renamed to "Close unchanged windows" ?
>
> So...I can add it to the "Windows" -> "Panic"
> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?
>
> Basically, it does this:
>

> World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo: [:each | each delete]
>
> (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)
>
> The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?
>
> The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being edited without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes has not been saved....".
> I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this. Help ?
> maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there is a deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano

Re: Panic

Carla F. Griggio
Adding the functionality as a package would be ok, in fact, we are
setting up an image specially made for the courses with some tools we
hope will help the students learn oop (like an object browser an
object inspectors as object diagrams).

Thanks Mariano!
Carla

On Thursday, March 25, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If they need something like that they can add it in a specific package and load it in their image
> it should not be difficult.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 24, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> <OT> In my university were I was graduated, used to teach with Dolphin few years ago, then squeak and this semester they will probably start to teach with Pharo. The good thing is that they have like 6 courses, with 50 students each course....so, it is good :)   I hope several of them join the community.
>> Carla, anything to say about PDP?  ;)
>> </OT>
>>
>> I was talking with them, and they missed (me too) a little utility that was in Dolphin and that I remember in VAST: the panic button. In dolphin is "panic", in VAST I don't remember exactly.
>> But basically, what it does is to close ALL what it is open. All kind of windows, popups or anything. Right now, we have a "Delete unchanged windows" but:
>>
>> - it only takes into account windows. I want to close everything: transcripts, workspaces, popups, etc. Even more, OCompletion sometimes lets some popups alive and users (mostly beginners) don't know how to remove them.
>> - I want to close ALL windows, I don't care if you were editing or not.
>> - I dont like the name "Delete unchanged Windows". Can we renamed to "Close unchanged windows" ?
>>
>> So...I can add it to the "Windows" -> "Panic"
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?
>>
>> Basically, it does this:
>>

>> World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo: [:each | each delete]
>>
>> (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)
>>
>> The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?
>>
>> The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being edited without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes has not been saved....".
>> I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this. Help ?
>> maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there is a deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Panic

Mariano Martinez Peck

> World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo: [:each
> | each delete]
>
> (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)
>
> The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?

I thinking of even more radical process - replace the World instance
alltogether,
and then recreate all default things from scratch (logo, tabs etc).
So, then old World instance and all its submorphs will be GCed.. and
you don't have to
delete anything. The panic, as i understand, is not where you
interested whether you having something unsaved or not
- it should reset UI unconditionally, and in this way, leaving minimal
chances that you will still be plagued by some inconsistency after
reset.

Igor: that's sound even better that I was saying :)
now...do you know more or less how can I do that  ? I have no idea/clues

Thanks!

Mariano

> The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being edited
> without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes has
> not been saved....".
> I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this. Help ?
> maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the
> execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there is a
> deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.
>

> Thanks
>
> Mariano

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Panic

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adding the functionality as a package would be ok, in fact, we are
setting up an image specially made for the courses with some tools we
hope will help the students learn oop (like an object browser an
object inspectors as object diagrams).

Yes, of course. But probably it can be useful for other people too. So, adding it to the PharoDev may a good idea.
It is just two lines of code and it is very useful.

Cheers

Mariano

Thanks Mariano!
Carla

On Thursday, March 25, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If they need something like that they can add it in a specific package and load it in their image
> it should not be difficult.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 24, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> <OT> In my university were I was graduated, used to teach with Dolphin few years ago, then squeak and this semester they will probably start to teach with Pharo. The good thing is that they have like 6 courses, with 50 students each course....so, it is good :)   I hope several of them join the community.
>> Carla, anything to say about PDP?  ;)
>> </OT>
>>
>> I was talking with them, and they missed (me too) a little utility that was in Dolphin and that I remember in VAST: the panic button. In dolphin is "panic", in VAST I don't remember exactly.
>> But basically, what it does is to close ALL what it is open. All kind of windows, popups or anything. Right now, we have a "Delete unchanged windows" but:
>>
>> - it only takes into account windows. I want to close everything: transcripts, workspaces, popups, etc. Even more, OCompletion sometimes lets some popups alive and users (mostly beginners) don't know how to remove them.
>> - I want to close ALL windows, I don't care if you were editing or not.
>> - I dont like the name "Delete unchanged Windows". Can we renamed to "Close unchanged windows" ?
>>
>> So...I can add it to the "Windows" -> "Panic"
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?
>>
>> Basically, it does this:
>>

>> World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo: [:each | each delete]
>>
>> (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)
>>
>> The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?
>>
>> The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being edited without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes has not been saved....".
>> I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this. Help ?
>> maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there is a deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Panic

Igor Stasenko
2010/3/25 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

>> > World submorphs reject:  [:m | m == LogoImageMorph default ]  thenDo:
>> > [:each
>> >
>> > (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)
>> >
>> > The first question is, do you like the idea?  should I add it ?
>> >
>> I thinking of even more radical process - replace the World instance
>> alltogether,
>> and then recreate all default things from scratch (logo, tabs etc).
>> So, then old World instance and all its submorphs will be GCed.. and
>> you don't have to
>> delete anything. The panic, as i understand, is not where you
>> interested whether you having something unsaved or not
>> - it should reset UI unconditionally, and in this way, leaving minimal
>> chances that you will still be plagued by some inconsistency after
>> reset.
>
> Igor: that's sound even better that I was saying :)
> now...do you know more or less how can I do that  ? I have no idea/clues

Start from:

ActiveWorld := World := PasteUpMorph newWorldForProject: nil.

and see where it goes :)

I tried above in my working image (which is a trunk derivative) and it
worked ok. Not sure about pharo, but i think it should work ok in it
as well.

Probably, you should also recreate a UI process (to get rid of tons of
stack frames pointing to old World /Hand/Sensor etc).

> Thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

>> > The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been being
>> > edited
>> > without saving ?  because right now, the popup raises saying "Changes
>> > has
>> > not been saved....".
>> > I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do this.
>> > Help ?
>> > maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before the
>> > execution and then put it back ?   I searched in Morph to see if there
>> > is a
>> > deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn't find anything.
>> >

>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Mariano

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Panic

EstebanLM
mmm... I vote for keep it optional. I don't like panic buttons... well,
maybe just one I seen long time ago, It was a in an arcade game, and if
you press the button, the desktop changed into a "turbo prolog"
screen... it was very useful at the time, in the university lab :)

On 2010-03-25 07:42:27 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> said:

> [...]
>  with 50 students each course....so, it is good :) =A0 I hope several of th=
> em join the community.<br>
>
> &gt;&gt; Carla, anything to say about PDP? =A0;)<br>
> &gt;&gt; &lt;/OT&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; I was talking with them, and they missed (me too) a little utility=
>  that was in Dolphin and that I remember in VAST: the panic button. In dolp=
> hin is &quot;panic&quot;, in VAST I don&#39;t remember exactly.<br>
> &gt;&gt; But basically, what it does is to close ALL what it is open. All k=
> ind of windows, popups or anything. Right now, we have a &quot;Delete uncha=
> nged windows&quot; but:<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; - it only takes into account windows. I want to close everything: =
> transcripts, workspaces, popups, etc. Even more, OCompletion sometimes lets=
>  some popups alive and users (mostly beginners) don&#39;t know how to remov=
> e them.<br>
>
> &gt;&gt; - I want to close ALL windows, I don&#39;t care if you were editin=
> g or not.<br>
> &gt;&gt; - I dont like the name &quot;Delete unchanged Windows&quot;. Can w=
> e renamed to &quot;Close unchanged windows&quot; ?<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; So...I can add it to the &quot;Windows&quot; -&gt; &quot;Panic&quo=
> t;<br>
> &gt;&gt; I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?=
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Basically, it does this:<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; World submorphs reject: =A0[:m | m =3D=3D LogoImageMorph default ]=
>  =A0thenDo: [:each | each delete]<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; (remove all World submorphs but the Pharo logo)<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; The first question is, do you like the idea? =A0should I add it ?<=
> br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; The second is, how can I delete a SystemWindows that has been bein=
> g edited without saving ? =A0because right now, the popup raises saying &qu=
> ot;Changes has not been saved....&quot;.<br>
> &gt;&gt; I want to delete them without asking. I have no idea how to do thi=
> s. Help ?<br>
> &gt;&gt; maybe there is a preference or notifier that I can turn of before =
> the execution and then put it back ? =A0 I searched in Morph to see if ther=
> e is a deleteWithoutAsking or similar but I didn&#39;t find anything.<br>
>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Thanks<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Mariano<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
> &gt;&gt; Pharo-project mailing list<br>
> &gt;&gt; <a
> href=3D"mailto:[hidden email]">Pharo-proje=
[hidden email]</a><br>
&gt;&gt;

> haro-project" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailma=
> n/listinfo/pharo-project</a><br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt; _______________________________________________<br>
> &gt; Pharo-project mailing list<br>
> &gt; <a
> href=3D"mailto:[hidden email]">Pharo-project@l=
ists.gforge.inria.fr</a><br>
&gt;

> -project" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/li=
> stinfo/pharo-project</a><br>
> &gt;<br>
> o/pharo-project</a><br>

Re: Panic

Oscar Nierstrasz

"Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.

Some random ideas:
- "close all"
- "nuke"
- "reset"
- "clear"
- "wipe"
- "zap"
- "tabula rasa"

- on

On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Re: Panic

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
>
> Some random ideas:
> - "close all"
> - "nuke"
> - "reset"
> - "clear"
> - "wipe"
> - "zap"
> - "tabula rasa"
>
> - on
>

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Re: Panic

Guillermo Polito
Hi,

I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.  But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.

I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).

Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.

Cheers,
Guille

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
>
> Some random ideas:
> - "close all"
> - "nuke"
> - "reset"
> - "clear"
> - "wipe"
> - "zap"
> - "tabula rasa"
>
> - on
>

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Panic.1.cs (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Panic

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/6/24 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.

I have no idea.

But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.

I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).

Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.

No, you will have to create it ;)

Cheers,
Guille

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
>
> Some random ideas:
> - "close all"
> - "nuke"
> - "reset"
> - "clear"
> - "wipe"
> - "zap"
> - "tabula rasa"
>
> - on
>

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Re: Panic

Carla F. Griggio
I tested it. It works fine in 1.1rc2 :) Thanks!

2010/6/24 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

2010/6/24 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>

Hi,

I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.

I have no idea.

But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.

I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).

Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.

No, you will have to create it ;)

Cheers,
Guille

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
>
> Some random ideas:
> - "close all"
> - "nuke"
> - "reset"
> - "clear"
> - "wipe"
> - "zap"
> - "tabula rasa"
>
> - on
>

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Re: Panic

Schwab,Wilhelm K
On naming, Dolphin has long had a Panic feature that closes "zombie" windows, which are windows that are in a poorly defined state and can't be closed by user interaction.  It is amazing how much trouble they can cause.  Interestingly, Squeak and Pharo seem to be quite resilient in this respect.  Dolphin's MVP framework has always struck me as avoidably sensitive to errors during view opening.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
+1

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
>
> Some random ideas:
> - "close all"
> - "nuke"
> - "reset"
> - "clear"
> - "wipe"
> - "zap"
> - "tabula rasa"
>
> - on
>

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Re: Panic

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Guillermo,

A panic button is probably very useful. But I feel that we should not need one. The root of the problem is the fact that sometimes, the VM hangs and Alt-. does not work anymore. I tried to investigate on this some times ago, but I haven't found why.

A panic button is useful, but having Alt-. that always work would be really cool.

Just to share my impression.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 24 Jun 2010, at 15:51, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.  But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.
>
> I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).
>
> Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
>

> > "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
> >
> > Some random ideas:
> > - "close all"
> > - "nuke"
> > - "reset"
> > - "clear"
> > - "wipe"
> > - "zap"
> > - "tabula rasa"
> >
> > - on
> >

> > On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> >> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Panic

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guillermo,

A panic button is probably very useful. But I feel that we should not need one. The root of the problem is the fact that sometimes, the VM hangs and Alt-. does not work anymore. I tried to investigate on this some times ago, but I haven't found why.

A panic button is useful, but having Alt-. that always work would be really cool.

I think we are talking about different things. Forget about the name Panic and also about the interruption keys.

There is no new button. Right now, when using "Windows" -> "Close all windows" only those that were not edited are closed. And I think that even workspaces or other things, remind open. What Guillermo did was to change the behavior of "Close all windows" so that ot REALLY closes ALL opened windows, even if there had unsaved changes. This behavior of closing everything was quite similar to what is known as "panic button" in other dialects...this is why the relation.

I think this change is very useful.

Cheers

Mariano

Just to share my impression.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 24 Jun 2010, at 15:51, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.  But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.
>
> I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).
>
> Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
>
> On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
>

> > "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
> >
> > Some random ideas:
> > - "close all"
> > - "nuke"
> > - "reset"
> > - "clear"
> > - "wipe"
> > - "zap"
> > - "tabula rasa"
> >
> > - on
> >

> > On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> >> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

> <Panic.1.cs>_______________________________________________
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Panic

Stéphane Ducasse
I know that david rothlisberger is working on making autumnleaves available for pharo and that will be cool because we will
have unused windows cleverly closing themselves.

stef

On Jun 26, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Guillermo,
>
> A panic button is probably very useful. But I feel that we should not need one. The root of the problem is the fact that sometimes, the VM hangs and Alt-. does not work anymore. I tried to investigate on this some times ago, but I haven't found why.
>
> A panic button is useful, but having Alt-. that always work would be really cool.
>

> I think we are talking about different things. Forget about the name Panic and also about the interruption keys.
>
> There is no new button. Right now, when using "Windows" -> "Close all windows" only those that were not edited are closed. And I think that even workspaces or other things, remind open. What Guillermo did was to change the behavior of "Close all windows" so that ot REALLY closes ALL opened windows, even if there had unsaved changes. This behavior of closing everything was quite similar to what is known as "panic button" in other dialects...this is why the relation.
>
> I think this change is very useful.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Just to share my impression.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 24 Jun 2010, at 15:51, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.  But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.
> >
> > I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).
> >
> > Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Guille
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
> >

> > > "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
> > >
> > > Some random ideas:
> > > - "close all"
> > > - "nuke"
> > > - "reset"
> > > - "clear"
> > > - "wipe"
> > > - "zap"
> > > - "tabula rasa"
> > >
> > > - on

Re: Panic

Mariano Abel Coca
In VAST the name is "Scrub Image".

What it does is to remove all objects referenced from the UI by redrawing the Transcript and starting a new UI thread, and then making a global GC. That means letting only the global referenced objects alive.

And here in Mercap we added a "Clean Image" button to also remove singletons and another junk stuff like test resources and seaside adaptors.

Cheers,

Mariano.

2010/6/24 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

2010/6/24 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>

Hi,

I'm attaching a changeset with the "Close All Windows" menu item.  I did it sending privateDelete to the windows, and I'm not sure if that's right, hehe.

I have no idea.

But it works and I put it where every other window menu item is.

I would like someone to test it.  Bah, Mariano already did it, but if someone else can I will be grateful:).

Is there an open issue for this? I didn't find it.  If there's not I can create it.

No, you will have to create it ;)

Cheers,
Guille

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> "Panic" does not suggest to me the actual intent.
>
> Some random ideas:
> - "close all"
> - "nuke"
> - "reset"
> - "clear"
> - "wipe"
> - "zap"
> - "tabula rasa"
>
> - on
>

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 22:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if Panic is the best name. Do you have better ideas?

Re: Panic

Stéphane Ducasse
if you want this code in the next release it should be added in the bugtracker.

Stef