Paper: The physics of notations

jfabry
Hi all,

I just finished reading 'The “Physics” of Notations: Toward a Scientific Basis for Constructing Visual Notations in Software Engineering', which proposes a theory on building and validating visualizations. http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/TSE.2009.67 I think it is an excellent paper and I highly reccomend it.

I have a question, for those that have read it, or know about it. Since this proposes a theory where it should be possible to evaluate a given visualization, do you know of any visualization publication that validates itself in this way (instead of the user study ...)? I think it would be a good way out of the user study issue ...

Also, Alex, this theory implies we need much more shapes in Mondrian, as it is one of the visualization variables where Mondrian only offers a few options :-(

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

Re: Paper: The physics of notations