Parallel Port

fvozzi
Hi,
I need to access to the Parallel Port in order to use an old Analog/Digital board to sense temperature in a micro brewery. Is anyone using any package to do this?

I'm using Pharo 6 on Windows.

Thanks in advance,
Facundo

Re: Parallel Port

Ben Coman
The only two historical references I see on forum.world.st are from 2006 & 2010.
and they have some link rot.

I'd guess your best approach would be to get something working in pure C,
and then provide functions that Pharo can call via FFI.

Alternatively, from personal experience when I used to hoard such old parts, it may be
economic use of your time to throw the old board away, and use a modern microcontroller.
What you learn could facilitate more opportunities, and this stuff just keeps getting cheaper,
while parallel ports get more expensive while knowledge of them keeps getting less relevant.

Maybe a $20 ESP32 with 18 ADC channels + MQTT

Or use a Raspberry Pi...
that can run Pharo directly, but I'm not sure what access to pins is currently available.
Again you could go the FFI route, or someone else might advise.

cheers -ben

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I need to access to the Parallel Port in order to use an old Analog/Digital board to sense temperature in a micro brewery. Is anyone using any package to do this?

I'm using Pharo 6 on Windows.

Thanks in advance,
Facundo

Re: Parallel Port

Stephane Ducasse-3
I have forwarded your email to olivier Auverlot because he was
fighting to get Arduino working and I remember there were something
related.

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 2:57 AM, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to access to the Parallel Port in order to use an old Analog/Digital
> board to sense temperature in a micro brewery. Is anyone using any package
> to do this?
>
> I'm using Pharo 6 on Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Facundo

Re: Parallel Port

fvozzi
Hi Ben,
I found IOST http://www.smalltalking.net/Goodies/Squeak/ to use io.dll, I think that it's fine for me. I'll try it on Pharo.

I want to do this on a computer (and not with arduino for example) because my idea is to do a complete software to manage the brewing process on my little brewery and sense the temperature is just de beginning.

Thanks for your answer.

Facundo

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Olivier Auverlot

Sorry, I can't help. It's not the same problem as us. We work with the serial port to communicate with Arduino.

Best regards
Olivier :)